Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
FMS and hypoglycemia
kaydesgamgam posted:
Good morning this is my first post, just signed up
I am wondering about FMS and hypoglycemia do any of you have the two together? I am trying to adjust my eating habits to help with feeling better. If you do, do you test your blood or do you just know when sugar level is getting low? I can usually tell but am wondering if testing is advised. I also have chronic pluerisy, bursitis. I take 90 mgs of cymbalta a day and am always in pain not quite so bad with the cymbalta but still enough that it is hard to work and function. I have recently had to change jobs due to the FMS but stressful trying to get enough work to keep head above water. Driving too much in a day is agony and if I drive everyday more than 20 miles per day I am down for the weekend and I live in a very rural area. I need to have an income but is getting ahrder and harder to work a full week . Any comments on any of my ramblings would be greatly appreciated. (I am tired of feeling not good enough cuz I just cant keep up)

Anon_2912 responded:
I have hypoglycemia, I never knew I had it, until I had to take the 5 hour OGTT.

The lowest my blood sugar got was 44, but I couldn't tell. If I have symptoms they don't bother me or I am just used to them. They tell you to eat small frequent meals. I normally do, but not all the time. Usally my small meals are graham crakcers & peanut butter.

I don't test my blood sugar, don't like the having to poke my fingers.

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
I've had issues with low blood sugars my whole life. Type 1 diabetes runs in my family. Also, Dr. Pellegrino has talked about how sometimes with FM, our body overreacts to falling or low blood sugars. I've found this to be true--where even if my blood sugars aren't dangerously low, I get the physical affects of falling blood sugars. I get dizzy, shaky, sweaty, etc.

I try to keep my blood sugars and insulin levels steady by eating a high protein, low sugar/carb diet. I have to even watch my fruit intake. I find the mornings to be the most important. I have to have quite a large, protein filled breakfast or else I have low blood sugar issues the rest of the day. Cereal, oatmeal, and even whey protein shakes make me extremely sick. I avoid anything that will spike my blood sugar then make it drop. I eat eggs with veggies and some unsweetened Greek yogurt.

If it gives you mental comfort, you might want to test your blood sugars. Or do it for awhile just to figure out your body's patterns. I don't test mine because my body sends me loud and clear signals!

unhappybeoch responded:
Hi, I also have low blood sugar. And had it all my life. I use to check my sugar. But the doctor I have now, don't want me to. And sounds crazy. But when I feel my sugar is low, I eat candy. Funny but I think I have trained my body to crave candy when its getting low. And I have been told meds would work to keep it at one level, but The last thing I need, is more pills to take. I'm very forgetfull and wouldn't remember to take them half the time.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
461 of 536 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.