Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scary isn't it?
foreversore posted:
I was browsing Facebook and came across this article. Looks like a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic-pain/c/5949/158387/fibromyalgia?ap=2007

booch007 responded:
I couldn't get it to download but I got thisin an email I haven
t read yet.

But, weren't we told a couple of years ago and Dr P also stating that this is a neurochemical issue.....(I had heard from a rheumatologist we were all going over to neuro)

Now...whoplays with neurochemistry the most....neurologists or phsychiatrists. I myself am sticking with the neurologist...but i can see anyone taking this on and try to help.

Disclaimer: I have not read the article yet...just yacking out like I always do..........Hugs, Nancy B

lb707 responded:
Well that article will have to read in short spurts. I have spent a life time in pain but never had panic attacks until I was in my early 50's. Right now I am ready to go into full panic mode from that article.

When I applied for SSD my attorney was the one who told me after years of dealing with people who lived in chronic pain he realized anxiety or depression is often a result of chronic pain. To think you could go to the Dr. for pain and be treated just for a mental illness is like going backwards.

Back in the 80's when I knew what was wrong with me I refused to be DX because of the stigma at that time. It was with of an internist working on my thyroid who said if you are on the right meds it is something else causing the pain and fatigue. He himself had fibro and knew what he was talking about and sent to a Rheumy.

laurab

agrapina replied to lb707's response:
I had the same thought. It's going back to the Dark Ages.

Of course, prescribing anti-depressants is much cheaper and easier than funding research or taking the time with a patient to brainstorm options for best treatment.

booch007 responded:
OK OK I read the article..........

It seems to me, give me a moment here....

Mental disease is chemical and behavioral. Taking OCD....we all have little things we need to do when stressed and it makes us feel better.....(like I clean during exams....) I don't need to DO THAT behavior all the time and it encompasses the day or I am stressed more. That is a disease

IT IS THE DEGREE IN WHICH IT TAKES YOU OVER.

So in a psychiatric way of thinking , this new ICD code wil/should be used for people who are overwhelmed and can't function in the world.......and have all over pain.

I am thinking most if not all of us are up and down , IN and OUT of the house....we are living* with this disease. Those that are in the extreme and cannot be helped with any avenue, with any assistance from rheumy's or neuro, or PMD....those are the ones brought into psychiatry with this code added to them.

I am going to ask the neurologist next week when I go for shots and see what she says...........

I have a ICD code in neurology, hope I am not being phased out and this is now changing? It does open some other doors.

We are broken.......we do have neurochemical issues....I have physiological/pathological changes to my muscles but this umbrella of FM we walk under is a tough one for all. Tough for us as the patient MOST, tough for the docs to try and help and challenging for the drug companies to come up with the fix.

I am not as frightened as you are as I see this as a way to class the ones who are in the extreme. Or those with overwhelming depression (in hosp) with overall pain issues...they now have an ICD code which is a BILLING code to assist in their care.

I don't think that is going to come out and reach us.....I interpret this as in degrees like in OCD...everyone is a little but we aren't defined by the disease ...as it doesn't take you OVER. All you can think about all there is to your world is this.

**Now I am not saying the person in a flare or the newbie that is just diagnosed and not tuned....all this is in perspective by the MD in the use of this code.

We use codes all the time in the office and they are used for classing and getting insurance to pay. Some codes yeild a higher return...two may say the same thing basically but one pays more.....

I am hopful that they(the psychiatrist will keep it in their world) A cardiologist cannot bill for an OB/GYN code...we have our own. So if you are in with a psychatrist...make sure the code is not being billed for........that will help with the label.

Same with the PMD (internist) his bill has only certain codes to utilize.....

Geez did I help here or make it worse........I should take a poll. No, I don't want to hear...Nancy *be quiet**!

Breathe everyone...breathe...Nancy B

It is like reading a note about yourself...58y/o white female obese* HTN* High cholesterol* who presents today with c/o chest pain,radiating to her arm. She is known to have chronic myofascial pain and is concerned it is not her chronic condition but the thought of heart disease..........I gasped at OBESE...I looked at myself as a midlife mess.. The notes they write can be eye opening. I truly think this is not for the general us....it is to help bill for those in the psychiatric world who have complaints and they can now bill and treat for pain or refer for pain. It opens a door for care to those who were being left tot he side............ again I hope this helps. N.B.

booch007 replied to agrapina's response:
Agrapina,
You know this is more then just antidepressants and they do too. It is complex and difficult for any doctor who takes on this class of patient. God Bless those who do and take us under their wings.

I thank my doctor so much everytime i have therapy in her office. She holds me together to be as active and useful as I am..............Nancy B

lb707 replied to booch007's response:
Nancy,

Hope you see this. No you did not scare me.....it it made me do a little thinking about the issue from a Dr. view point.

I am one of those with two codes and I do understand the coding system as my Dr. has explained some. So it did help me and you can ramble all you on anytime. I appreciate your professional background information.

laurab

katmandulou responded:
Sadly, there are some docs who think FM is 'all in our heads' - and not just the neurological way. I was recently hospitalized, and the doc in the ER said that there's no such thing as FM, I have hemochromatosis "and that's what causes your pain". I'm glad he wasn't making a life-or-death decision for me!
Lou

crystalscats replied to booch007's response:
Nancy thanks, not rambling on, I think you helped me understand the article very well. It good to have someone with your expertise on here to assist us at times. We do tend to panic and come over anxious at times! LOL

agrapina replied to booch007's response:
Nancy, I understand your point and I' happy that you're happy with your doc.

I should have been more specific about why I believe this kind of thinking is such a slippery slope. Fibromyalgia is still somewhat a mysterious disease and as Lou says, is still not recognized as a physical disease by a fair number of people in the medical community. The mere mention of Somatization in relationship to Fibro is going backwards, IMHO.

It seems like normal behavior to me that an intelligent group of people with capabilities to research their own conditions and whose physical activity has been curtailed as well, might spend a lot of time researching their illness, talking with others about symptoms, taking notes and studying furiously on how to improve their lives which (in many cases) have been gravely diminished by Fibro. Also it seems that this is a disease of 'new symptoms' popping up, traveling pain and lots of co-morbidity, as well.
What if there is a say, checklist which asks how much time we spend daily reading, talking, researching about our illness? A few points either way of the percentile and we either normal or OCD? If we are OCD, then which came first? Do we then 'have Fibro' because we are OCD?

Do you get why I think this is dangerous territory?

booch007 replied to agrapina's response:
I do so agree with both you and Kat...(BTW I wish there was a like button for you Kat)

We are already on a slippery slope...we see that many take to the streets and see an average of 5 doctors (for me 9) to get diagnosed. Research is always going on in the public with internet exposure and often the information is a little twisted for the poor patient..

Being proactive in your care is a gift..........being lost* in your care is a disease. I wish I had a YouTube video of the difference in subjects to see what I see in my head. Patients vary widely and there are those in the psych world who suffer our world as well, and I really think that is why the ICD was made for the psych department. It is not personal, it is business. It is a way to care for them.

It is a way of helping them. The risk of seeing a psych and being labeled for anything is a risk.....maybe he would see say "passive agressive " tendencies in me (LOL) and document that.

Those records would play a roll in a future leadership position.
See, it is true in many ways with so many things....
HIPPA holds us close. An employer (who pays for your insurance, and your physicians can get them if they are released) But they are not out and about to be used against you.

So, eyes wide open for all of us and we will see. There is little we can do with the rise of a new ICD code. Interesting that someone found this in the huge book to come? Just enough to add more stress to the community, stress we don't do well with.

I think it was good talk though, we will see. I will again talk to neurology next week. Also maybe I will throw it out to my Cardiologist ans see* what they think?

Good day for you all, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.