Skip to content
meds meds meds
casjackson1987 posted:
I am currently taking paxil cr 37.5 mg for my panic disorder, along with ativan 2mg when needed. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia less than a week ago, and my doctor keeps advising that I get cortisone injections in the trigger point in my back. I'm TERRIFIED of needles, and I would just about be crippled with pain before getting a shot in my back. I would really like advice on a pain killer that will take care of the horrible back pain, and won't interact negatively with my anxiety meds.

booch007 responded:
You know the trigger point injections I get are really just the best thing I could do for me. No side effects and relief within one to two days....

I have only had a steroid involved when the ligaments got involved from such muscular pulling.....like near the shoulder area. My mid-back was just the normal lidocaine trigger point injection 0.5cc of fluid... The muscle jumps and relaxes right after.

Pills have to be absrbed and processed by your body and have little attack on the exact zone at issue. You can try myofascial release therapy instead of a needle BUT it takes longer and is uncomfortable. The needle is fast and done.

Chiropractors use a technique called spray and freeze, where they use a (carbon dioxide spray I think) in a can...they spray the muscle and it is chilled to not feel the therapy and they then stretch it out. (spray and stretch?) see if you can look that up.

There are alternatives to a pill, most of our answers are not in medication. It is the heat and showers and stretching and moving and distraction of yourself that can give rewards.

I hope you get this better, be sure to look in the Members TOOLBOX under resources for other ideas of help that the group has offered.

Good luck, Nancy B

casjackson1987 replied to booch007's response:
Thank you for being honest. I have some questions about the injections though that I would like to ask someone who has been through it before asking my doctor... Is there any "down time" at all? I have a 28 month old and 7 month old, so I can't really take a time out. My husband isn't exactly supporting (military "man up" attitude) so I won't get very much help with the kids from him. I understand that the injections are a quick fix, but I honestly wouldn't be allowed to take it easy if that was part of the healing process. Any advice?

Thanks,
Cassie

rosielou replied to casjackson1987's response:
Hi Cassie,

I've had steroid injections many times in my back, and they're a very easy recovery. My usual injection points are neck, lower back, and the SI joints. It's one of those things where the pain relief is so good that I'm practically turning cartwheels an hour later.

On the day of the injection: You want to avoid lifting your older child. Picking up the younger one can't be avoided entirely, but maybe your husband will help with that. You don't want to vacuum, heavy wet laundry, or any chores that involve heavy lifting or twisting. They will probably tell you not to drive because of the anesthesia, not the steroid injection.

Can I answer some more specific questions for you?

Louise

casjackson1987 replied to rosielou's response:
Hi Louise!
I have actually had a steroid injection done since making this post. I had relief for about twelve hours and now the pain in my back is even worse. I don't know if maybe my doctor started with a low dose, but the pain that I'm in now wasn't worth the anxiety the shot gave me. Now I realize it's just like any shot, and I shouldn't have anxiety over getting it again. I'm just not sure I want to have another injection if the relief is so short lived, and the pain comes back worse than before.

rosielou replied to casjackson1987's response:
Hey Cassie,

Glad to hear that the 'needle' part of the injection wasn't horrible, but sad about the inadequate pain relief. Your doc will be interested in how you responded and might recommend some other options.

My first injection (neck) didn't completely knock out the pain, but lowered it enough that I was happy. My doc talked me into going again 2 weeks later and the second one brought me to zero pain for 8 months.

There is also a back pain board here on WebMD that has a lot of people with more experience than I have. It's usually listed in the "Related Pain Management Communities" box just below this conversation.

Sorry if this isn't clear, I'm having a foggy day. I know what I want to say, but getting it typed is a major challenge.

Louise

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
467 of 542 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.