Skip to content
Repeat Hospitalization
franr posted:
Hello Fibro friends
Well I went into my primary yesterday in severe chest wall and back pain and he send me in a wheelchair to ER because he said I look terible since last week and they had to R/0 MI. So I was admitted with a low potassium since because of my esophagus problem and decreased appetite.I had all the cardiac tests and they discharge me.And I still have chest wall and back pain and hoefully the app with pain management and GI will be soon I am sick of ER's.Does anyone else have chest wall pain and how dou cope.
booch007 responded:
Oh Fran I feel so bad for oyu. I am assuming they r/o costrochondritis (inflamation of the cartilage of the ribs)

Esophagitis and erosion of the esophagus from reflux can give you very bad pain......midsternal pressure and radiates to the back.

I am hoping you are seeing GI real soon. Have they put you on omeperazole or aciphex...and acid reducing med. I love to promote Gaviscon usage in reflux and esophagus issues. It is mylanta in a thickened form to coat the lining...

I have used it myself prior to becoming gluten free and MY WHOLE GI TRACT became brand new.! Man was I pissed that so many years passed with and IBS diagnosis and so much diarrhea in my life and it was gluten all that time.

I just really fel for you. Rest and take care and hopes that you see a doc soon...NancyB
fibrofran17 replied to booch007's response:
Hi Booch, I don't post often but yours jumped out at me regarding the gluten. I recently found out I had Celiac disease since birth and I AM 62!! What a life. It wasn't IBS all along and I was packing in all the "Good" wheat cereal, bread, bagels etc etc for fiber for years and I finally really crashed, will leave out all the bathroom issues and inability to leave the house for a few years. I recommend that anyone with an IBS diagnoses get an endoscopy, upper digestive system, and a biopsy because celiac disease has ALOT of serious symptoms in all the bodily and mental systems from malnourishment of vitamins and minerals, and many overlap with fibromyalgia's mental deterioration. Gluten free diet helps alot but at my age alot of permanent damage has been done and irreversible, not to mention some very unecessary surgeries. Take care everyone and keep educating yourselves.
booch007 replied to fibrofran17's response:
DITTO, I am so pissed that the medical world didn't help me with this, it was a naturopath I saw on my own to see how to help me. BUT damage done 32 years of diarrhea and mees and dehydration and loss of nutrients.

It will take 32 years to probably get back some of me!

Shame, darn shame...Nancy B
onlycon responded:
Have you figured out a way to cope with the chest pain?
For years My stabbing chest pain only occurred on my left side. Recently the right side is getting attacked also. Did yours progress like that? I am talking about a pain that completely puts me down and takes my breath and life away while it is creating havoc on my body. Usually lasts from 10-25 minutes. Afterwards my ribcage feels bruised for days.
dollbug replied to onlycon's response:
Hello onlycon and welcome. MiMi in NC and I am one of the FMers who have had several issues with chest pain. The first time I thought I was having a heart son took me to the fire department to first be checked and then I ended up going to the ER at the hospital. They also thought at first I was getting ready to have a heart attack. After all of the tests were run though they figured out it was just the FM causing it. I have since had several other issues with it.

Getting rest and taking Advil gel is what helps me....along with using a heating pad. It sometimes takes several days for it to ease. The bad thing is that we, FMers, have to make sure that it is not a heart issue.

I do know for me that when I was having problems, it took my breath just to breathe.....I could feel it every time. Not good at all.

If yours only lasts 10-25 minutes....consider yourself lucky. I never experienced this amount of down time.....mine was much greater. My blood pressure was also elevated as well. I have had several bouts in different locations as well....both front and back.

Take care and good luck.

franr replied to onlycon's response:

Hoping by now cardiac disease has been ruled out with your Chest wall pain.I too over the years have suffered from Chest wall pain with repeat visits to ER and cardiac disease was ruled out the problem was fibro .I also get L chest wall pain .I usually heat up heating packs in the microwave and place them under the breast at effected areas.Repeat whenever necessary.Bedrest and advil help..It sounds as if you maybe in a major fibro flare .Try to relax and realize the pains you are experiencing is fibro not cardiac and non life threating .Once you accept this you may feel better .I hope you are getting adequate sleep this adds to the healing process.Chest wall pain is no joke but can be managed.Hope this helps and keep us updated....Fran

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
392 of 419 found this helpful