Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Positive Thought of the Day
Wolfsong452 posted:
well this is funny, I'm at work, so this is getting to be the END of the day for me.

Since my last German Shepherd died I decided to get birds. I had someone give me a pair of Zebra Finches, I was thinking, oh, they'd be nice quite birds, maybe some peeping once in awhile.

well, I stand corrected, this litte devils especailly the male, who I call cricket, obvious reasons, all day long! that's the sound, crick-et! crick-et! hee hee. he's courting the female. Well I"ve had one breeding from them and had 4 babies.

sheesh, now I Know what people are complaining about with kids and their 3 am feeding. This baby birds, squaked something terrible. You could just hear them, FEED ME, FEED ME, FEED ME

NOW! NOW! NOW!

hee hee, little devils.

babies are all grown up, daddy bird is trying to convice the female, hey baby, let's do this again! hardy har har.

well I took the nesting box out, as they should have a rest, Since they are new birds to me, I'm not sure how often they'd been bred before I got them.

Poor little female looks pretty bad, as the male keeps plucking feathers from her to line the nest. Even if I've put feathers and other things on the bottom of the cage for them. Darn this little devil.

The male escaped one day, and you could immediately tell he knew what he was doing. He'd come with a hands breath of me catching him and then he'd hop a couple of steps away. He'd be rolling his eyes at me, twisting his head, uh hmm, little devil was playing catch me if you can. Finally after about 1/2 hour he was tired so let me catch him.

I'm getting a fishing net, so I won't have to go through this again!

ha ha!

booch007 responded:
I enjoyed this! I lost my bird of twenty years....I was tired of him* he was a Cackateil in the parrot family and they live long...too long! But I miss the yacking and alarm he would give me if a stranger was in the house.

My neice raises and sells finches for the local pet store. She has 7 cages and it is such a low peep they make.....I love watching them.

She has it down perfect, who is doing what and treating them when they are sick. Some so beautiful with colors...
She has a pair of love birds also.

The little ones love watching them. Using crinalin (sp?)netting with magnets to keep the seeds in the cage, as I said she has it down perfect.

I remember going after our bird once he got out...it is challenging, sound like you do have a devil there!

Good stuff...hope you don't get over run with birds...be careful (maybe separate the two so the female can recover.

Take care, Nancy B

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi Wolfsong... Thanks for the memories... I raised parakeets and lovebirds as a kid and then had cockateels when raising my kids... and now have a lonely parakeet... He is a quiet sweety that likes to sing very softly at 2 in the morning... I don't hear him anymore... But if I put in this "loud N Clear" gizmo that a friend gave me for a few minutes just to listen to him sometimes... I so miss the beauty of his singing...

I also have some pigeons in my back yard that will actually allow me to pet them... I loved the they sounded too... But I can't wear that gizmo all the time it hurts my ears and gives me bad headaches... Too bad cuz I enjoyed hearing again... lol...

My favorite cockateel, Chipper, was always outside with me... There was a sweet little ole lady down the street he visited everyday... She let him in and he would be eating his treats when I arrived to visit and return him home... He got there fine but seemed not to get home well lol... She loved him as much as I did...

I love my birds and animals... I am a country gal at heart... The only bird I never liked was my Aunts goose... She chased me and pushed me down all the time... I loved my horses but shied away from mules cuz they got the best of me too... lol...

So thanks for the memories.. And thanks for the positive thought of day... I am so glad you are back with us...

Take care... Do something special for yourself today... You are special...

Love... Jan/Dakota

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
yes, it is fun, I"m going to check into the creolin and magnets.

They do keep me entertained.

Wolfsong452 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
yes the geese are a riot, loved horses, would get another in a heart beat,

money money money, so sad,

darn it

I will try and keep up the positive posts.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.