Skip to content
Very Down and in pain
franr posted:
Dear friends
Today I am very depressed and scared. It has been almost two months since I went into this flare. I thought this would be a better day.but the pain start this pm . I took tylernol was give tramodol but stopped it didn;t work. Using rest and heating pads. I feel so useless unable to do much around the house.It seems to affect me more since the last hospitalization on tues. 3 total. My appetite is still poor trying to eat more potassium foods.Worried that this will happen again.I pray all day and my priest and members of the church are prayin too.It seems there is no improvement. Sleeping med works for about 5-5 hours, MRI of the brain on tues .GI onthurs. But pain management on the 4th. Any words of encouragement.

dollbug responded:
Hello Fran.....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are still not feeling better. It does take time to find things which might work for you. You should not worry about doing anything while you are going through this period of time. Allow yourself to recover....you have been through a lot...just going into a hospital is enough to wear a person down. I hope you can build your sleeping time up....5 hours is not really enough. Have you tried taking a hot shower at night right before going to sleep.

I have been sleeping in a recliner now since 2005...not by choice though. This allows me to sleep longer without a lot of pain. I am unable to lie down and sleep. I also sleep with pillows as well....so it is really soft. There was a time when I could not sleep also...and I could hardly manage at all...so this does make a BIG difference.

Hang in there and know that hopefully soon you will find something that will work for you.

In the meantime, try to do things where you can relax...listen to music or read....or whatever you normally do. Perhaps making a journal on how you feel and what you do each day. Try to figure out what is going on with your body. Perhaps jot down what you eat to see if foods are a trigger for you.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

newgrandma1953 responded:
Hi Fran,
I'm so sorry you're in so much pain and down, but I do have words of encouragement. I am so glad your church is praying for you as you too have turned to your savior. He will give you enough to grace to see you thru this flare, you will survive it. I highly recommend a pain management Doc. I started seeing one about 5 months ago after being diagnosed 3 years ago. It has been life chaanging. I now have some quality of life. My doctor is so compassionate and understanding and new right away what medications were appropriate for me. It appears you've made the right choices. Just take it 1 day at a time. I'll keep you in my prayers.
God bless you,
Carol

BetteK responded:
Fran, get all those tests. In the meantime, be sure to take warm showers or baths at least 2 X a day. Listen to some of the most soothing music that you enjoy. Reread a favorite book. Whatever will distract you, whatever will relax you, do it. Call a good friend--the one who always makes you laugh.

None of these things will effect your FM, but they will all affect how you feel with your FM.

The dirt in your house will still be there on a good day when it won't hurt you to tackle it. In the meantime, take your glasses off when you look at the dirt.

There are bad flares that last a long time. I get them whenever the humidity is high. Fall is a very wet time in western NY state. Some summers, my hubby can't get 2 dry days in a row to make hay for our cows. We all know what April is like. I swear, one year the flare lasted from March through summer and fall and only stopped when we got a bitter cold, dry spell in January. Joy! All my arthritic friends were moaning about the cold, and I had my best days in years. I actually had 1 day with NO pain. It was 10 below zero.

The point is that you will have flares. Fix yourself a survival kit. Assemble some rummage sale books, canned soups, microwaveable meals, a stash of the things that stay down and never upset your stomach. Find a super comfy nightgown (I have one like a floor length T-shirt that I love). Keep these things ready for your next flare up. They are comforting when you need comfort. Sometimes, just knowing you are ready and don't have to DO anything can head off a flare.

Hope this helps you now and in the future.

booch007 replied to BetteK's response:
Boy I wish we had that LIKE button, what a good post here for you Fran.....see (((((hugs))))) from me too.

I ditto all that was said above, and add that if it has gone on for a bit. I get out of the house to break it. Try, the distraction is so helpful...especially if you can ge somewhere you love.

I would chose today if I were in trouble the Danbury mall, park in the handicap and get to the Merry Go Round and watch the kidds giggle and enjoy themselves. Then stop at a special shop to pick up a treat. This action will change your brain chemistry without meds...it is helpful as is the GOOD music.

A doctor I spent alot of money for told me , Nancy....Don't get SAD get MAD...it makes you proactive to fight and break out of the lows. Lows come and some real tough, it is our way...some luckier then others in how many they have.

Getting the boxing gloves on and doing something about it is important. We call this a dragon, it puts a face on it...gives you something to yell at when he is "biting"...and useful when you are hiding away from him .

There are times I crawl under a rock, just to sit on the couch is the effort for the day.....but I give the body 2 days to rest and then I get out of it to get my MIND away from it...I also medicate a bit more. So often I can get through it and away while circling the toolbox I built to fix myself.

Diligence in building that toolbox, knowing what helps you is so valuable...then I lay the tools out and start. Hot shower..if the "glass head" is there I shampoo and I may do this twice in one day if the head hasn't stopped.

Thenit is always music....on all the time. Tough morning "pandora" on on the phone in my hand to the pocket of my scrub and following me around the house...before I know it, I am singing.

Did you know singing is a medicine....free....and powerful!

See how these tools work, look in the Members toolbox in resources and pull out a few to try.

We are all here...keep letting us know how you are doing.

Hugs again, Nancy B

debrabrooks1960 replied to booch007's response:
Dear Fran R,

Please know you are in my prayers. I had no idea a flare could last that long. A week is the longest for me and I did not think I would make it through it. I got a IPod for Christmas and I love to put on my earphones and listen to an audio book. It blocks out the world. It does really help with the pain. I just started listening to the Bible and I love it.

I pray things will get better soon for you. Soft hugs, Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.