Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
At a loss
crystlynn posted:
I have had horrible pains all throughout my body for years now but it has gotten worse and worse and worse over the past year. It has gotten so bad lately that I'm almost in years every day. It's effecting me at work and I'm up for a manager position soon and I'm scared I won't be able to handle it so I finally gave in and went to the doctor today and he seems to think it's rheumatoid arthritis, so I've done a lot of research on it and yes I have a lot of the symptoms but I also don't have a lot of the symptoms. I still have to get the blood work done and everything but I really don't believe that that is what it is. I really believe it's fibromyalgia but I'm a small 23 year old female and I really don't think he will take me seriously. I am at a loss here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would very much appreciate it, thank you all.

Survivor2007 responded:
You would need to get the blood work anyhow to rule out RA, so you are on the right track. Fibro is usually diagnosed by tests showing what it is not....there is no test for Fibro. If you reach that point and your doc does not want to consider Fibro....it will be time to seek out a doc that understands..probably a rheumatologist. I have only recently been diagnosed....but certainly understand what you have been dealing with. Long term all over pain, and for me...fibro gog and serious fatigue. I take Cymbalta....and will be starting on Lyrica. I am also starting a physical rehab program that includes warm water exercise, massage, and therapy for chronic pain. I still hurt, and remain foggy and tired, but I am hoping that the treatment will help. I have already lost my career to this illness. You are so young...I would encourage you to do all that you can to fight this....a good and regular exercise program is supposed to really be helpful, meditation or some kind of stress reduction, a healthy diet, plenty of sleep......and I personally would suggest some kind of brain exercises...like that lumosity.com thing. I am almost 60, but plan to try it all.
Good luck...
Survivor2007

crystlynn replied to Survivor2007's response:
Thank you very much for your advice. I also have extreme fatigue which also effects me at work since I work at 5am. How do you deal with the fatigue?

mybdy replied to crystlynn's response:
I was diagnosed with FM about 10 yrs. ago and am still trying to figure out how to deal with the fatigue. Just this week I slept for 3 days straight. I did not leave my bed except to eat dinner. Thank goodness my hubby was home to care for the kids, but I just felt my body needed it. I am also having a bad flare up right now so my fatigue gets worse during that. I think you just have to rest when you are able to. Try to get some exercise in, since that helps you sleep at night and just pace yourself during the day. That is just my advice. What works for others may be different.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.