Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tramadol
booch007 posted:
Good morning Fmily,

I received a letter from the pharmeceautical world to let me know that Tramadol is now a Class III controlled drug.

Not happy about this. I don't see me going to something else or going back to the amount of Motrin I was using. I am going to talk to the doc. It bothers me to be on a class med.

I know that a class III and class IV meds are really a way to monitor how much someone is using or where it is being prescribed.......not becuse it is so dangerous. As a nurse I just didn't want the stigma of a class med in my system. I think my Soma has also gone this way, without them notifying me.

I know this as I can only get 6mo at a time with the refills.

This may only be in GOOD OLE NY...but I wanted you to know things are changing.

In Conn you can get Percocet with a prescription and in NY you need a triplicate form.....so each state is different.

And so we move forward, always changing....re-evaluating....trying to do our best. .

Have a better day today guys..Nancy B

angelswife responded:
I'm wondering if the laws have changed in CT too...when my dentist prescribed the Percs for my jaw, she said the the law only allows her to give ONE PRESCRIPTION per patient. Percocet is the only thing that works for me---I take half a pill at night when I need one so I can sleep through the Neuropathy. I am rationing this prescription like crazy because it's all I have. My regular MD won't give me any because he doesn't want me to become addicted. But for pete's sake---half a pill maybe 2-3 times per week? How can I get addicted from that? I just want a good night's sleep once in a while.

booch007 replied to angelswife's response:
Sharon i tis not addicted, it will be tolerance and needing more to attain relief.

You have valid neurogenic damage now, you might want to look into neurontin to help you? I am not a fan of Lyrica its cousin but at bnight this may be a blessing for you. Hugs from me.Nancy B

Maura68 responded:
I've been through the mill with all the drugs prescribed and know it's useless to find hope for pain relief now. I have bad discs from old car accident (hit by drunk priest), ripped shoulder cuffs (no one knows why) bad knees (undiagnosed floating patella which I complained about for 40 years until my knees were gone - was told "knees are fine"), rectal and abdominal pain since 8 hr surgery for endo I was told I didn't have for 30 yrs. along with the overall neuropathy that comes with degenerative arthritis. Celebrex & Vioxx are scam drugs as are cymbalta, Lyrica etc. Nothing for pain. Aspirin and Naproxen work but will gut your stomach. Ultram works but makes me really sick, groggy and hyper after it wears off. Fentanyl patches worked but made me throw up. Neuronitn works for neuropathy and in small doses is helpful although not authorized for pain. Aside from Neurontin, opiates are THE ONLY DRUGS that work for chronic pain other than prednisone (which works best for me but is restricted because of side effects.) I've been through the Ketamine treatments which numb your whole body up and don't even touch the nerve pain in my body while putting me into a very UNPLEASANT "purple haze" - I've been treated in hospital with methadone and had no real relief other than being so sleepy I didn't care anymore about the pain (still had nightmares.) Doctors talk a lot of crap about pain relief and prescribe a bunch of nonsense about biofeedback (tried that too) but answers still go back basically to aspirin and laudenum. My CARDIO doctor (not my pain management doc, ortho, or rheumetolgist) took mercy on me and gave me limited script for Oxycontin which I take when pain is so terrible I can't do simple things like laundry. Then I take 50 mg (half a pill) plus naproxen to get through a day. I don't take this every day as daily use makes me feel sicker and nerve pain comes back double. Life is not a HOUSE rerun. Doctors have no answers for chronic pain sufferers that suit the majority. I am furious that the old standby drug that no one in their right mind would want, the opiate, is now condemned with no replacement. Other than getting a new body I need to be able to get out of bed and do basic chores. I live in poverty thanks to high cost of medical coverage and it sickens me to hear patronizing advice that people my age are forced to endure for decades. That's my take on this stuff. Give us something new if you take away all the opiates but, for god's sake, GIVE US SOMETHING so we can live!!!! And get Pfizer to admit that Celebrex is just waste of money!!!

katmandulou responded:
For some of us, Tramadol is the only thing that makes us feel less pain. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me, it never has. I have liver issues, and can't take Motrin or Aleve. My doc just gave me a muscle relaxant, which helps my spasms, but doesn't help me sleep.

Plus the cold...
Lou

dollbug replied to Maura68's response:
Hello Maura and welcome....MiMi in NC...sorry that you are dealing with so much right now....but I am sure that there is indeed something out there that will help you cope better....other than pain pills...have you tried any vitamins and supplements yet? Plus doing other things as well....using a heating pad when needed, Stopain Spray as needed...hot showers...

Yes...I do have chronic pain and chronic fatigue...I have been in lots of pain but have since learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things...it does take a trial and error process to figure out the right combination of tools that will work for you...and this does take time and effort.

Have you asked your doctor to check your Vitamin D level yet? This is so very important....as low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain. So I would encourage you to be sure and talk to your doctor about doing this.

Most of us FMers have multiple health issues as well...and each and every additional health issue might have to be addressed before you actually find relief.

I take the following...a good multi vitamin with extra D, Omegas, (I take Salmon instead of Fish Oil)...Super B complex and calcium, magnesium malate or Fibro Response which is found at vitamin store... I also take a joint supplements as I too have bad knees...4 right knee surgeries and issues with the left knee as well.

I have also learned that I have to watch what I eat and drink plenty of water....actually water is all I drink.

I have learned how to pace, pace and pace even more when I need to do anything. This is so very important.

Learning as much as you can about what is causing your pain will help you to learn how to cope better with it.

You can start this process by keeping a journal of sorts.

You also need to get enough sleep at night....I know that lack of sleep and stress are 2 things which affect my pain levels the most. These are also the hardest things that I have to deal with, along with the fatigue. I have found nothing which has helped my fatigue.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts also helps to relax my body so that I can sleep better.

I would encourage you to be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* here...I am sure you will find some other good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

P.S. If you don't mind, next time try to break up your posts somewhat...as some of us have issues with our eyes and a very long post is hard for some of us to read.

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
Thanks for the info Nancy.

I'm of the attitude that if it works, and I don't have bad side effects, then I'll take a little pain relief so I can remain somewhat active.

I don't think I'll be telling friends and relatives which pain reliever I take. People do get ideas about others who take certain pain meds, whether it's deserved or not.

So far, here in VA, I have not received any info about Tramadol changing class. We'll see at my next refill though. I'd like to know what is driving the change. Illegal sales? Dependence? Abuse? Even if I take 100mg I don't get a "high" at all.

Changes are rough in general.
With Compassion,
Margaret

jennagale76 replied to xperky's response:
Tramadol is what I take for pain. I live in OH but not sure if there have been any changes here. I guess if they ask me for my ID when I get a refill, I'll know. I only take it as needed, and have had no issues with dependence or addiction. It doesn't make me high, but maybe it does some people. That's the only reason some would abuse it, IMO.

booch007 replied to xperky's response:
What bothers me Margaret, is that they put a conrol on Soma years back do to illegal selling and abuse and now it is my Tramadol. As a nurse i feel awkward and concerned to be on controlled substances and working. (though not in a hospital setting)

I know it will be in a urine test if the office goes to testing. My doctor in the office knows I take them and (actually I saw he didn't write how much or how often I take them). (I bet to protect me). He knows I function and am a great employee and nurse....and not an abuser of anything.

Just tricky being a nurse.

No one in the family knows of the meds I use to survive, they just know I have a muscle disease and it is painful to do things at times......I say cousin to FM (as I beleive this as well) and now with the commercials they can SEE the pain issue for the actors that are there. For all they know I am on Lyrica...

Just keep me going that is all I ask.

Just wanted to say POO when I got the letter and NY may have a big problem with it, also a way to watch the pain management guys.....hugs, Nancy B

booch007 replied to Maura68's response:
Maura,

I am so sorry you have so many things at issue here....

With your complex story I don't see you as a simple (though are we ever simple as humans) FM patient. Of course you need more help. The fact that steroids helped you and the celebrex family tell me too that you have ligament issues and other things going on here too.

You do what works for you. All of medicine is being watched for the abuse of narcotics now...We just had a cardiologist at a practice near me arrested for oxycontin sales......(I mean how do you validate when someone looks that you as a heart doc are prescribing thousands of pills for people.)....

This is where they look into office as pill mills and those meds are on the street...not being used for legitamate pain patients.

So you are back tot he comfort level and documentation of the attending you use.

I hope you find all the right mix to have a better life in this mess you are in. So sorry you were thrust into this. I entered it gently and then finally a crash afetr lifting a patient. Tought I tore the muscle in my neck...the seering pain and NO RANGE OF MOTION TO THE NECK.

I too couldn't do laundry for so long or carry a pot to the stove, I got a front loading washer to help and the dryer too....I got corelle dises that are so light and if I drop em they don't break...I just treied to work within what I could figure out to help.

Good luck, Nancy B

booch007 replied to xperky's response:
Margaret I would asay both the illeagal sales and abuse are at the start. Kids will do anything.

I also think as this is linked to your innate uptake of natural morphine it is addictive they say and needs to be weaned when coming off.

I am not stopping my tramadol at anytime soon, but I don't like knowing I am on meds the autorities are watching...:0.

Nancy B

booch007 replied to jennagale76's response:
No it doesn't make you high....BECAUSE YOU NEED IT.

When you hit it right on the head of the nail...the result is bliss, not high. When I first started taking the med I got so nauseas and had to be sure there was food around. Not so nnow. But in a bit higher dose I was woozy...so I guess if the kids overshoot with a large dose they will get a buzz.

We are within what we need.....so nobody getting high here in the pain community!! NAncy B

crystalscats responded:
I have noticed a difference here as well (WV). I was getting prescription that was good for 5 refills and my current month. So only had to get it every 6 months. Now I have to get it almost monthly one refill. So basically went from 6 months to 2 months with authorization. What a pain in the butt! I too do not take any class drugs so rely on my Tramadol.

booch007 replied to crystalscats's response:
I spoke wit the pharmacist yesterday and he said, you know that Soma turns to Meprobamate ( a sedative) before the muscle chemistry and that IS A CONTROLLED DRUG....so it was long overdue.

Tramadol also was being abused and since it has the seratonin elevation to it, people were getting out of hand with how much they took and with what med.....ther are also those in the abuser world that crush it snort it and shoot.....CRAP.

So all the ones who need it and respect it are at a loss...well not at a loss, just being monitored..For me, I just don't like being on two Class III meds as a nurse. I have to figure out what I am comfortable with and if this affects my license in some way?? I will ask the neurologist....fearful I am.

Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.