Skip to content
New Here
Necrolicious posted:
Hi everyone. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this community! I have been lurking for a couple of days now, but have finally decided to say hello.

I was just diagnosed with FM last month. It was a long time coming. For about the past 10 years I have dealt with chronic muscle and joint pain, insomnia and anxiety. The problems would come and go. It never really occurred to me that everything was related. I would see my doctor and be treated for each problem individually. Things were pretty much under control.

After giving birth to our second daughter in May of 2012, my body simply revolted. I was in horrible pain almost constantly. My joints felt like they were on fire, muscles ached like I had done a very intense workout, and my hands would feel like they were burning. Needless to say it scared me and I sought treatment with a new doctor. He tested me for everything under the sun. When everything came back negative he told me that I had Fibromyalgia. In fact, it was his initial suspicion. He just had to rule out other possibilities.

Now, I am taking Lyrica and Lortab and have found immense relief! It is amazing how much better I am feeling. I can move again! It used to hurt just to get out of bed. Now, I can jump right up and get my kids out of bed without wincing. Going to run errands is no longer a chore. I notice myself being able to do anything I want and I don't have to stop to plan ahead - am I going to be able to sit and rest? How long will I be out? Its amazing. I feel like a whole new person.

I realize that I could have flare-ups and the pain can return. I just can't believe how long it took to get the proper diagnosis. The fact that I was living with so much pain totally escaped me. Now I realize how it feels to actually be able to live life normally.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC...I am glad that you finally got the help you need....I hope it continues...but if I were you I would still learn how to pace, pace and pace even more....because I am sure you will have some *tough times* in the future...the wrath of the dragon will rear its ugly head and spit fire at your body and there you will be...it is a very ugly and mean illness...and there are no cures for it...so hang in there and continue to learn all you can about it. The more you know the better you will learn how to cope and what to do when you are not feeling as well as you had hoped you would.

It does take doctors a while before they figure out what is going on with us...some doctors still do not even believe that FM is real.

I do hope that your doctor checked your Vitamin D level...which is important to a lot of people these days...if not, you might want to speak to him/her about getting this done...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources*...as I am sure you will find some things that perhaps you have not thought of trying....which just might help you cope better.

I hope you will post often, ask questions and make comments and suggestions...we do understand what you are going through and how you feel.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
I am so very happy for you. To find something that works so soon in your diagnosis is so rare. You are blessed!*

Please stay and post to share your path with others who need help. It is only a valuable site if people participate and share their thoughts. Thanks, Nancy B

fibroinsd responded:
just wanted to say hello and welcome....cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

jennagale76 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Glad you are here. I tried Lyrica when it first came out, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe I'll ask my Dr. for another go at it. It sounds like you found what works for you fairly quickly! That's great! I was diagnosed 5 years ago, and STILL trying to figure out what works for me. I've never tried Lortab. I take tramodol and soma.

Necrolicious replied to jennagale76's response:
Thanks everyone! I haven't really posted since writing this introduction but I have been reading. Love this place!

I do feel very lucky to have found medication that allows me to live a more normal life. I am taking the Lyrica daily, of course. The Lortab is only as needed, mainly for when my hands start to burn and throb out of nowhere. My doctor isn't quite sure what that is all about, but he thinks it is related to my FM. If not, he thinks its possible that it is some kind of neuropathy. We will see! The Lortab takes the edge off but definitely doesn't stop the searing pain.

The Lyrica seems to have completely removed my joint and leg pain. It seems so strange to have something work so quickly. I really do attribute it to the fact that I have such a wonderful, caring doctor. He takes about 20-30 minutes with me and asks lots of questions and just talks to me. He REALLY listens and I can tell that he really cares. I honestly feel like he has given me my life back. I can fully participate in life again. I can lift my two baby daughters without wincing and crying. What an amazing blessing!

Thanks again for the warm welcomes

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.