Dry Mouth
Teelady1 posted:
I know that Dry Mouth is often a side-effect of medications like cyclobenzaprine and citalpram hbr - of which I am taking both. I have been on the citalopram for 1.5 years and the cyclobenzaprine for about 6 months.

I thought I'd try my own experiment and go without the cyclobenzaprine this week and see if I notice a difference. I've had 2 nights without the muscle relaxant. I can't say I've noticed a difference in the Dry Mouth - but I had very poor sleep last night.

Any thoughts? Would it be possible that the medications are causing the Dry Mouth - even though I have taken then for a while?

Thanks.

fibroinsd responded:
not sure what to say about the dry mouth..I take cyclobeazaprine..well..I had been off of it for a year and asked my doc to put me back on it...I do think it helps with sleep..so far so good...not too much of a problem of dry mouth..sure hope it doesn't show up..I hate that..

sorry I am not more help.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

xperky responded:
Not sure if length of time on the medication lessens dry mouth side effect. There are special mouth rinses that might help. Your doctor might be able to prescribe medicine as well. It's important to treat because dry mouth can hurt our teeth and gums.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Biotene is my favorite mouth rinse...comes as liquid and has a gel, can't speak of the gel though.

While on Cymbalta everything I owned dried up! And this helped, when the eyes got so bad i stopped the Cymbalta for a few reasons.....

This is the time of year that has little humidty in the house and I don't know where you live, but, this can just be the atmosphere right now putting you over the top. I have a humidifier in our room and i use often....otherwise i wake with a cracked tongue or dry nose..etc. I am not on anything to dry me....(hot flashes, yes...dry no)

You can ask the pharmacist the half life of your meds....probably 4-6 hours..in saying that 6 half lives will remove the med from your system. (yes there is math involved in medicine!!....) So whe there are side effects we look at that time window for improvement...as we look at tthis time for relief with meds as well....as they say "give it time" I don't think these are your cause though.

Everyone is different....amazingly different. Talk to pharmacy a good resource readily available.

Good luck and go for the biotene for relief now, wait til you feel how great your mouth feels. (we use this in the chemo patients) Hugs, NAncy B

Teelady1 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Thanks, cece. I do benefit from the cyclobenzaprine for sleep and some relief from tight muscles. Glad your Dr has put you back on it.

Teelady1 replied to xperky's response:
Margaret, thanks for your response. I went to the dentist just a few weeks ago and discussed the dry mouth with him. He did suggest trying the OTC biotene rinse.

Teelady1 replied to booch007's response:
Thanks for your response, Nancy! My dentist recommend trying the biotene rinse - so I've started using that. I think it might be helping. So it's hard to say if not taking the cyclobenzaprine for 3 nights now has helped the dry mouth or not.

My sleep has been affected the past couple of nights and this morning I had some tight muscles even before getting out on bed. I think I'm learning the cyclobenzaprine really helps my sleep and tight muscles at night.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the cymbalta. Because I've been taking the anti-depressant longer than the cyclobenzaprine, it didn't seem likely that the citalopram was causing the dry mouth. Maybe it's the combination of the two medicines?

I'll try the biotene and if that doesn't seem to help and the dry mouth is still a problem, I'll talk to my Dr.

Thanks, again!

lb707 replied to Teelady1's response:
Hi, I can't take the cyclobenzaprine any more but still use the biotene. When I was using the cyclo I kept it out on the counter and if I woke up in the middle of the night I swished again. It really helps.

Cyclo eventually dried my eyes out so bad they wanted me on RX drops...then it caused other issues. I miss it though as sleep was much better when taking it.

Like you the Dentist put me on biotene.

laurab

Teelady1 replied to lb707's response:
Laura, thanks for your reply! I gave in last night and took the cyclobenzaprine and I slept well. Have less muscle tension today, too.

It's hard to say if I noticed a difference in the dry mouth after only 4 days without the med.

I guess I'll see if the dry mouth gets worse. Or I wonder if I take 1/2 the dose? Something to discuss with my Dr the next time I see him.

Thanks again.

maggiethedoglover replied to Teelady1's response:
Hi Everyone,
I've been in a horrible flare so that is my excuse for not checking in here. Actually, I'm still in morning for Sampson.

Regarding dry mouth, I have it terribly. I wake up 3 or 4 times a night to drink water and to visit the bathroom because of the water I drank last time. I take half a lorazepam at night and sometimes half a cyclobenzaprine. Once in a while, I take a cyclobenzaprine, if my back is in spasms or if I really need a good night's sleep. It helps with that. I wake up fewer times.
I think I will try the biotene. Hope you don't need a script for it. I'll start by calling my pharmacy.

Thanks to all who answered. As we all know, answers help a lot more people than the one who originally posted...many thanks to you, teelady1 for posting this.

We have a ton of snow here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but not as much as the upper East coast is supposed to get. Brace yourselves and good luck at weathering out the storm successfully.

Hugs to all,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

Teelady1 replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Maggie, you don't need a prescription for the biotene - and after using it this week I have noticed a difference at night. Like you, last week I was having to get up during the night and drink some water my mouth was drying out so much.

This week after starting the biotene rinse (I do it right before bed), my mouth hasn't gotten as dry as some nights.

Not certain if maybe my mouth is less dry because I did go 3 nights without any cyclobenzaprine and now there's less in my system? But sleep was poor and more muscle tension at night without the cyclobenzaprine. Two nights ago I took a full tablet (10mg) and last night I took 1/2 tablet. Got better sleep the past few nights.

I think I'm going to try the 1/2 tablet for a while - as it did help with my sleep last night - and I will continue using the biotene. Hoping to find a balance.

I'm in No. IL and we got a lot of snow yesterday, too - but it looked like you probably got more up your way.

Take care!

maggiethedoglover replied to Teelady1's response:
Hi Teelady,

We really missed the brunt of the heavy snow yesterday but probably got 5-7 inches anyway...and it was that snow that weighs a ton because there's a high water content in it. The bad news is my son started to snowblow and picked up a brick almost immediately after starting so the shovels had to come out. My son did the majority of it last night and then DH and I finished up the last bit and the part of the driveway that the city snowplow blocked in. That was the worst.

Thanks for the info on biotene. I will try it.

I used to live in Illinois at various times in my life. Right in Chicago at age 21, then Deerfield where I took the train into Union Station to work. Then Naperville until I left my first husband. Finally Elgin when I worked at Elgin State Hospital.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad to meet someone really close to me.

Soft hugs,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

Teelady1 replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Maggie, it's great to meet you, too. I grew up in the Chicago area. My parents were both raised in the area. In grade school we lived in Lombard and in middle school moved to Bloomingdale. Now My brother lives in Elgin and I live near Crystal Lake. You probably know where that is having lived in Elgin. I have relatives that live in of near Naperville.

I have been in the Crystal Lake area for about 25 years. The area has sure changed a lot in that time. Before moving here I lived in MN for about 1.5 years. I was transferred for my job to this area.

Hope you're having a good day!