Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
NEW to fibro
becca40 posted:
My name is Becky and after 4 years of increasing pain after a back injury I was finally diagnosed with fibro. What a good feeling of relief and of loss at the same time! I ahve had several friends alienate me during this time. Because i do not look "sick". As a nurse i definetly understand how my patients with this felt. I would love to work as a nurse again but, it is not possible at this point. Trying to fight with disability at the same time. So many complex things involved with a diagnosis. I at least have a good Md now. Just need those venting moments and go on from there.

dollbug responded:
Hello Becky and welcome....MiMi in NC...it is a tough road to travel....but the good thing is that the more you learn about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...the better you will cope...it does take a trial and error process which does take time and effort...what works for one may or may not help you...you have to decide if something works.

Most of us FMers do not look sick and I think this is one reason that so many people do not nor can not understand just how much we have to deal with every day. I have actually figured out how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well....it is the chronic fatigue that I have not conquered yet....my doctor has told me that there is nothing that will help this either....but I refuse to accept this....I continue to try to figure this out as well.

I hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* here which will offer you some good *tools* that might work for you. This is a good group of FMers here who share and care what they have experienced and know about FM.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, if you have not already done so...low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well...it is a simple blood test but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it.

I hope you will have good luck with your disability...as this too can be a stressor in our lives as well...been there done that.

At least you have a good doctor....which is really important. And now you have also found a good support group as well. So this is also a good thing.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Welcome Becca40...

"Just need those venting moments and go on from there'"...

You have come to the right place... Here you may vent all you need and in return find understanding... compassion... caring and loving people... A family who are right where you are or have been where you are so you are ever alone...

And so much more... Like information about FM
[aka fibromyalgia>... and our TOOLBOX which is our tips and resources... found here...

http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/tip/4

I too lost friends who thought I didn't look sick I wasn't sick... The worst thing I think I lost them due to was their so called miracle cures that didn't work on me that they kept hearing about... like... Lyrica and Cymbalta... and other not so well known cures found on the internet... It had to work on me... I didn't want to get better.... just was lazy and wanted pity...
so out they went or I left...

I did have 2 very good friends stay even after their doubts after reading this... Don't mistake me I don't have lupus... But it is so true for Fm also... I asked them to kidly fit it in...

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

FM is a hard road to travel... I guess I am lucky to have multiple reasons to be ill... Due to these multiple reasons I am in pain for more reasons then FM... That is what got my pain management to include opiates... FM is not suppose to react to them... I can witness they do... But I am still not so sure that my pain management believes i FM.... She likes to brush past it when mentioned... And change the subject...

I am glad you have a good Dr... They are hard to come by... Even in modern day technology... There are so few that believe and/or treat us...

I hope you come back and enjoy allowing us to help you and find pleasure in helping us... Both sides are very therapeutically...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.