Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LIVING W/FM 18 YEARS THIS MONTH
dodie1011963 posted:
It's been 18 years since I woke up with ankle pain. That's how my FM started. I went to the doctor and every checked out okay. Two weeks later I couldn't get out of bed. I had to give up a job I loved. I tried three times to return to work. No one understood and even knew what FM was then. I had never heard of it before.
My FM seems to be mostly in my legs and feet. I was in a very bad car accident a few years before 1995 in which my Mom lost her life and I fell on the ice in 1994 and tore up my shoulder. Usually an accident or trauma proceeds FM. I remember when I was a teenager I had leg pain. My Mom took me to the doctor and he said it was growing pains. I wonder now. I wonder if that was the first sign of FM. It's been 18 long years of suffering. I guess I'm writing this b/c every January I remember when my FM first started and I remember what I've lost.
I recently started taking Cymbalta which does help with the leg pain. Has anyone else tried Cymbalta? I was wondering what they think of it. I also take morphine sustained release (since 1999). I can't believe it's been 18 years. I guess the human body can withstand a lot. I pray they find a cure for this awful illness in my life time. I'm sure you wonder like I do "what is it like to have no pain?". Doctors have said I have FM, chronic pain syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome. Do you feel worn out sometimes like I do? I'm so tired. I feel so worn out sometimes. I hate this anniversary......when I remember the first day I woke up FM. Thank you for letting me vent. God Bless.

booch007 responded:
Goo dmorning,

Welcome to the Fmily. I too woke with something, but it was my hands. My hands were buring..and I dreamt the house was on fire and I was opening a buring window to jump out.......

It has been an evolving process ever since. The only trauma I have that finished me off was lifting a patient in the hospital, I thought I tore the muscle in my neck.....CRIPES it was bad.

I have developed trigger point syndrome in this (a cousin to FM) we are intertwined and close in symptoms.

I have dropped that memory of the old me and moved forward. I hung on to that and the what if's for so long. You can't live in that world......I lost so much (including health insurance for life as my union benefit!!) I just know I am EXACTLY where God wants me now. Pain an all.

I use my empathy for so many, so many with life threatening things now. I have pain and movement dysfunction but they* are dying.....so it helps me with perspective.

Please look in resources for our toolbox. The members toolbox may help with a trick someone has used to fix a problem. Switching your thinking process though is time sensative. Some never get to switch to thinking in today and not yesterday. I have always said that " I am draggin the dragon aorund with me" but now I more like "dancing with my dragon"...

Attitude is altitude for sure.

Don't let me kid you I get low and morn at times but i don't let it in too often. Planning and pacing is a valuable commodity to have. But there are times crap happens and you are in the moment and you have to do what is there.

I am sorry you too lost your job, I changed jobs to a lesser physical load (well i thought less) alot has changed since I am there. But I look at the day as exercise and use it for MY benefit. I would be no good if i was home.....I would be worse as I know I would go with the body more then using the distraction I am in to move more and use the muscles.

I just medicate with my muscle relaxant and tramadol.

I wish you well, and good that you found us, as no one will understand you like us. Take care, Nancy B

P.S: We talk about opiates often, please be careful with that MSIR...it is amazing you have used this for so long. Congratulations if you have not needed to keep upping your dose. (n.b)

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.