Skip to content
New to this board and FM
tla1211 posted:
Very frustrated and in tears today. I have been in denial for quite sometime but known deep down that this was most likely my diagnoses. My mother has been diagnosed for decades. I have just about every symptom. What I am so upset about though is the way my PCP decided today that "it must be fibromyalgia we have ruled out everything else". We have discussed the debiliating fatigue that I experience along with the severe pain after I work for so many days in a row. I just had my knee diagnosed with chondromalacia and an injection done. I told her of the severe mental fog and how I am at risk of losing my job if I don't take some kind of break. She looks at me and says "If I were to write everyone off work who is tired we would all be off work". Ok, well she just totally discounted how completely crappy I feel as well as my work ethic. I used to work double shifts, go to bed and double back the next morning with no problem up until a few years ago and I enjoyed it. I always said even if I hit the lottery I would l work part time. I like to work. I am not lazy. Now, I feel like I am. I found this board because my mom used to see Dr. Pelligrino years back till she moved too far and now I'm hoping I can get in with him. Having a physician who listens makes the difference. I am an RN and I know this.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....we do have a very good group of people here...but Dr. P has not been on board for several months now...we do not know exactly when and if he will be back...seems like no one was actually told anything. So we are all still in the dark..
We all miss Dr. P....he has some really great discussions though...just click on the 674 discussions.

I am sorry that you are dealing with so much. So from what you said, I am assuming your doctor does not know a lot about FM...is this correct? I do not know what kind of job you have but you might want to fill out the FMLA paperwork...just to *protect* your job if you have to be out due to sickness.

I think FMers must learn to pace, pace and pace even more...to keep the pain level down. I know that I have learned how to do this but it took a long time for me to figure it out.

I hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* too. I am sure you will find some very good *tools and tips* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

I would encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is really important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. It is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

I hope you will find something that will help you cope better soon.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jennagale76 replied to dollbug's response:
Do you (mimi) want me to ask Dr. P when I see him on the first? I can tell him that everyone misses him.

tla1211~ If you live or can travel to the Canton area, I wholeheartedly reccommend getting in to see Dr. P. I started seeing him about 3 years ago, and the level of care and understanding he provides is off the charts. I live almost 3 hours away from Canton, but my family lives in the area and I stay at my mom's when I have appointments with him. His practice is called Ohio Pain and Rehab. Good luck dear.

dollbug replied to jennagale76's response:
OMG.....please please tell Dr. P that we, FMers, from WebMD....miss him and love him dearly....I just know that he is a very good doctor and those of you who are lucky to be close enough to see him....well....I am jealous....as I know each of you are getting the best of care. I am sure that each of you have already had your Vitamin D level checked.

Yes....tell Dr. P that we all wondered what exactly happened to him and that we think of him often.
We all miss him.

Thanks for asking. I hope you will remember to tell him.
It would be GREAT if we could CLONE him....(good idea, doesn't everyone agree?)....well, we can always wish and hope anyway.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dakotaspirit1957 replied to jennagale76's response:
Jessagale76... You are so lucky to see our dear Dr. P... I use to live in Canton and was to move back until my husband died... I have no one to be with now there...

Please give him our best... Tell him how missed he is... We do love him so... And please please Thank him for all the knowledge and love he shared with us while he was here... He was invaluable... And an Angel... A God send to the people of this world...

I so wish I could just shake his hand and give him a gentle hug of love and gratitude... Perhaps someday...

Thank you for your offer to carry our message... Good luck with your recovery and walk with FM... You definitely have a plus with Dr. P in your corner... I am sure... Come back and let us know how you are...

Good luck with the work thing... I know it can be a task... And a definite stress to deal with work ordeals like that at work... I had similar problems when I got ill at first but that was over 30 years ago... FMLA wasn't heard of then to the best of my knowledge... They still weren't suppose to fire you or "let you go" for "illness reason's"... but it happened so often under another clause so often... Just mixed the words a bit... Left a few out...

I agree with Mimi... It doesn't sound as if your Dr. has much knowledge about FM... Definitely needs a quick course in it... Is there a possibility to find another Dr to care for you that does have knowledge... I know Dr. P is great but you may need one closer to home for close care...

Thank you for being here... It brightens my day to hear someone is able to meat and be cared for by our dear Dr. P..
I am so happy for you...

Well... My Parkinson's has me slamming this keyboard so I am closing... LOL... Some days... I always say... If it isn't one thing it's the other LOL... My fingers hurt from being slammed LOL... So I need to rest them a bit...

You have a wonderful day... Hopefully as pain free as possible... Find hope and peace in your future... Just Believe...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

tla1211 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
Thank you for your quick and caring replies. Actually, I did get aan appointment with Dr. P for Mar 6 and I put myself on the waiting list for sooner. I could just tell by how courteous the staff is on the phone, that I like the way their office works. I have to deal with a lot of offices. I have had the FMLA papers in my purse but don't even want to go their with my PCP again. God knows what she would write. My boss keeps hounding me even though she really has been good to me for so long. I just don't feel like trying to explain myself.
I do feel very blessed to live so close to such a physician.
My 14 year old daughter has an illness that we have also had trouble diagnosing and 'explaining' to people as it is another one of the unseen. It took us almost two years to find the right team of physicians but once we did, we are finally on the right track. One of them we will have to drive to Toledo for, but that is OK.
Will let you all know about Dr. P
tla

jennagale76 replied to tla1211's response:
Mimi- I won't forget to tell him. He's awesome. I will also tell him how much we all appreciate him on here, Dakota. I'll give him a hug for you. He's very tall, it's like hugging a tree. lol

One great thing about his office is the fact that they have respect for their patients' time, and I'm never there very long unless I have a major problem. I have never waited more than 10-15 minutes to see him. Also, he doesn't treat you like a drug-seeker, like so many other doctors do if you complain about pain. Since he has fibro himself, he can totally relate.

I'm glad you got in to see him tla1211- I see him on March 1st. Hopefully you can hold out until the 6th- he'll do what he can to help you.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.