Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Try a neurologist
    BetteK posted:
    So many of us start out with our family practicioners and possibly get referred to a rheumatologist. That made a lot of sense back in the 80's and 90's. Back then we thought FM was a disease of the joints and connective tissue.

    Now so much more is known about the changes in our brains, our spinal chords, and our neurochemical transmitters. It's time to accept that we have a neurological condition like MS.

    Next time you need a specialist, think neurologist. This is especially true if fibrofog or nerve pain is part of your mix, but is true for all of us.
    Yes rheumatologists know all about how bodies are supposed to work, and yes they understand immune system problems like RA.
    But they are NOT the experts when it comes to the nervous system.

    Call ahead and ask if the doc you choose manages FM patients. Some do and some don't. Go to one who does. Don't be surprised if it takes a while before any painkillers are prescribed. Get to know this doc, and let her get to know you.

    You may be surprised at how much your new neurologist already knows about you and your condition. Pleasantly surprised.

    Towards better days,


    Take the Poll

    What type of doctor has been the most help for you?
    • Family doctor
    • Rheumatologist
    • Neurologist
    • Pain Management Specialist
    • Other (and please tell us the specialty)
    View Poll Results
    booch007 responded:
    Good morning,

    Yes this is where I went from the start.....well kinda, I was being helped by chiropractic and using motrin as my med. But do to the nerve impingements that I get I was in the neurology office and he* couldn't really help me. He was great and tried...(I know he spoke with my ICU attendings to see if I was "real"...dang it.) Then he finally got a collegue from Boston who's life career was myofascial work.....and now there are 3 in the office trained by her.

    This is where I get my trigger point injections. They work for me, where I bring articles I read and she shares the thoughts of the community. In Canada two of them presented our cases to the neurology association and the trigger point injection treatment.

    I never went rheumatology I had seen about 9 doctor of various fields before receiving my diagnosis, a tough time in my life there...but I am a persistant bugger and not taking "no" for an answer...

    This was 13-15 years ago, so much is out there now to help people get the right news and start turning them around when diagnosed. But I too believe neurology is a great place to be. Also books..lots of books to get educated on muscles and chemical inervention and understanding what is wrong with us.

    Hope more answer your poll it would be nice to see who is seeing who.

    Nancy B

    Helpful Tips

    Vitamin D level checked ***
    I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    233 of 263 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.