Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trouble Swollowing Pills
BetteK posted:
Does this happen to anyone else? You take a med with a full glass of water, but several minutes later you can still fee it stuck somewhere under your tongue. The big "horse pills" are bad, but the little bitty ones are worse. They just float around in the mouth and go anywhere but down the hatch.

It's not too big a deal when you're taking something innocuous every 2 hours. Sooner or other one of the doses will reach the stomach and do some good.

It is a major deal when your teeny, tiny ambien sleeping pill gets sidetracked on its way down. First, because you won't get to sleep tonight, and after all, that is why you took the pill. Second, because sooner or later you'll be driving down the road or working out a problem on the job and that stupid pill that refused to slide into you stomach a little before bedtime will slip into your esophagus just like you wanted it to --12 hours ago!--and render you either asleep or so groggy you'll belong in bed--not driving a car or fighting corporate dragons.

Sometimes, I can wrap up a small pill with some of that soft white bread everybody says you shouldn't eat (but everybody does) and then swallow the bread with the tiny pill smuggled in tool Don't try this with the stone ground 100% whole grain stuff that costs $5 a loaf, though.
The nutritious stuff won't fold over, squish down, and disguise that whiley pill. You need wonder bread or something cheaper.

By the time you roll up your pill, gulp it down, and swallow a cup of water, You'll probably have missed a couple hours of the sleep the pill should have assured you.

So take this poll on actually injesting our correct meds.
s

Take the Poll

What happened the last time a pill didn't go down?
  • I had more meds, so I just took another one.
  • I dissolved it in some liquid and drank it down.
  • It would not go down. I'll tell the doctor next week.
  • I slipped it into the center of my CANDY, ICE CREAM, MEAT BALL.
  • I smashed it to powder. It went on with a spoon.
vote
View Poll Results

dollbug responded:
Hello BetteK....MiMi in NC....I had a BIG problem swallowing and also had a cough but mine was due to a parathyroid issue that I had. I had a cough for over 6 weeks or so and not only would pills get stuck in my throat but also food. It would feel like I was going to choke to death. My parathyroid gland had attached itself to my esophagus....even though the surgeon told me before I had my surgery that my cough and this problem had nothing to do with it...he did tell me afterwards that it did and what had happened...

It is interesting since doctors do not always have all of the answers, even though a lot of us think that they do.

My surgery solved my issues.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

franr responded:
HI Bette
I just went through this whole swallowing issue and finallyafter 8 weeks was diagnosed with LRP which is largeal spasms of the throat brought on by acid from the stomach .I was unable to eat or swallow pills.I was seen by ENT who diagnosed me. I am now on a diet and taken prilosec 2x a day ,He said it takes a few months for swelling to go down. Also the anixety didnot help either and the MDalso put me on a drug for the fibro and anixety and now I can sleep and the pain decreased.Go to the MD and have that checked out and let us know how you are doing. Hugs Fran

BetteK replied to franr's response:
Fran and Mimi, thanks for your imput. So far I've had a CT of my throat, a swollowing upper GI X-ray, and an ultrasound of my thyroid (which has nodules). The ENT doesn't know what it is, but prescribed NasalCort spray anyway. It made my face swell up.

I'm concerned because my sister has Barrett's Esophagus, a pre-cancerous condition that sometimes runs in families. It's also a pain not knowing which words I try to speak will actually come out. This has been going on since May.

It could just be that my throat muscles are saying, "See, we have FM too." But I really want to know what it is.

Again, thanks for your input and concern.

BetteK

katmandulou responded:
I'm glad not to have had this problem. I'd like to say that there are some meds (pills, capsules, etc) that SHOULD NOT be dissolved in water or smashed into powder! And when you're taking your pills, wash them down with at least 8oz of water; my pharmacist says 12-16oz. The more water, the better the chance of it getting where it needs to go!
Lou

MarFran responded:
I have great difficulty swallowing pills also and I can only swallow very small pills. If a pill is large, I have to crushed it with a mortar and pestle (the kind used for crushing fresh herbs and which I bought at a kitchenware shop). After pulverizing the pill, I pour the powdered substance into a tablespoon and mix it with some flavored soda pop to kill the awful taste and I mix it slightly with a teaspoon; then drink it down quickly with some more pop. Beware not to do this with "time-released" or certain coated tablets, and I always check with my pharmacist first to make sure any medication is okay to crush or in the case of a capsule, if it's okay to open and empty the contents. I can't take liquid medications because the alcohol bothers my stomach and if a medication comes in one of those huge gel capsules, I'm out of luck and just can't take it at all. I'm better off if I can get an injection in a doctor's office, but that's not always an option. I find it hard to swallow something solid and liquid together all at the same time and it makes me feel like I'm going to choke, which I know is all psychological, so I try to distract myself mentally when I have to swallow a pill. I never could swallow too big a piece of food or large gulps of liquid and. I have always even had to chew my food a lot to get it small enough for me to swallow it. One time a doctor told me I had a very narrow throat, so maybe that's why.

hisfaithful1 replied to MarFran's response:
Hi, I too have a hard time swallowing pills. Sometimes the tiny ones get stuck worse than the big ones. I think in my case it is because as I have gotten older, I'm 57, the back of my throat sags , I know, sounds, awful, but I have read this is a common reason why many people snore, I now snore, my husband lets me know every time, bless his little heart! Just one of the many perks of aging.

MarFran, I have to take those Tylenol gel capsules when I get a sinus headache. They are so big they hurt my throat, and it's impossible to swallow them. So what I do is put them in my mouth, and in about 30-40 seconds they become soft enough for me to bite, and crush them, then I am able to swallow them no problem with a glass of water. I used to cut them with a knife and squeeze the contents into a little bit of water. But discovered putting them in my mouth, biting, then swallowing is much easier.

BetteK replied to hisfaithful1's response:

Thank you, hisfaithful1, for one more way to get the goods down.

Would you believe the most recent trip to the ENT they never called to tell me the results of the tests they ordered. I hate that. Supposedly, no news is good news.

But what if some clerk in the office doesn't understand the signifigance of a slightly elevated result? The ultrasound and aditional blood tests may have been negative, but I want to KNOW.

Sometimes it seems as if doctors' offices are set up to confound us, not to help us.

BetteK

Anon_57995 replied to BetteK's response:
All lab test results ordered by any physician MUST be reviewed and signed by the ordering physician.

They are printed and filed by "some clerk" and then the physician reviews each one.

I am a medical assistant trained to perform basic tasks such as vital signs, initial interviews that tell the MD why the patient is at the office, fill out lab test requisitions for the MD to sign, a little documentation , and lots of medical office work.

I am not trained to interpret lab tests and would not assume to know if a patient's lab values, whether or not they are within the lab norms. Some of the labs use different norm and that is not the responsibility of a medical assistant.

If the MD called everyone who had any lab test, he'd be on the phone all day. If he called only the abnormal values as he does, and we had to call everyone with normal values, then we'd be on the phone all day.

If you really need to know your lab results, then call the office and one of us will tell you and check that the MD has signed the result.

Just sign me,

Some Clerk

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.