Skip to content
I am 19 with Fibromyalgia
An_250533 posted:
I was diagnosed when I was 17, after spending days in the hospital having every test there ever was run on me, and I am now in college and am struggling very badly with my fibro. I take Tylenol3 multiple times every day and I am very worried about my liver being destroyed. It is also hard to keep a well balanced diet, as I am living in the dorms, and I try to exercise as much as possible. I am currently going through a flare that just wont quit. It has been about 3 weeks now and my body is swollen and all I do is sleep. I am afraid to ask my doctor for a stronger pain reliever because I am in college and I don't want him to get the wrong idea. Pain killers were not my first option, I have done literally everything in the book and nothing seemed to work so my doctor and I decided to take the pain day by day with a pain killer. Fibromyalgia is hard to explain to anyone and impossible to explain to young people, so I just don't talk about it to anyone who doesn't already know what it is. I am tired of people not believing my pain, my own father doesn't believe me. I would like to know if any knows a way I could ask my doctor for stronger meds without sounding like a drug dealer.

katmandulou responded:
Hi An_250533, and welcome! I hope you find us helpful, funny and supportive.

Since we've all been through it, this is a great place to get information. You should see your doc, tell him/her what you're going through. I agree that painkillers are not something you should depend on, and there are a lot of meds out here that can lessen your pain. I take something that helps me get a good night's sleep, the best thing for us with FM.

There are some good resources in the right-hand column. Also check out http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . It has good tips for us, and you have to check out The Spoon Theory - it will help you explain to people what it's like to be in your body.

Have your doc check you for Vitamin D deficiency. Sounds simple, but we who live in the northern hemisphere are usually lacking in D.

Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

fibroinsd responded:
Welcome...so sorry you are dealing with this..

There are some things you can do without taking meds...such as vitamins. I take a good multiple, a B-100 COMPLETE (for energy) omegas and a D3. Also, you might consider magnesium. Those might be helpful.

You might also look for a post in the resource and tips section...Nancy B. also posted a link to it the other day..so it might be in the discussions..Nancy B. started it a few years ago and people have written what has helped them..

There are some meds that might be very helpful. I took Cymbalta for a little over a year, and found it helpful. Others have tried Lyrica or Savelle. These might be good to talk to your doctor about...There are others also..such as a muscle relaxant that you could take at night, just to help you sleep. Also, you might ask about etodolac..which is an anti-inflammatory. These are less than heavy pain meds.

I did want to tell you that it is possible to go to school and deal with this. A few years ago, we had a very nice person that managed to go to school, and is now graduating with her masters in Psychology. I won't say it is easy..but it is doable!!

Hang in there and let us know how it is going.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

BetteK responded:
An, you have a long and hopefully wonderful life in front of you. Don't let fibromyalgia BE your life.

The doc who diagnosed you with FM should be able to help you with several things including medications to help with pain without zonking you out too much, a handicapped parking permit, a release from gym class if necessary, and possibly some other tricks.

About your diet. Don't they have a salad bar at the central dining hall? Begin your lunch and dinner there. Remember the darker or brighter the color, the better the nutrition. (Think spinach or romaine instead of iceberg lettuce.) Load up on fresh fruit instead of sweet deserts. Go for whole grains in cereals and breads. These are small changes that can make a big difference. As for snacks, have you ever had a pizza with green peppers, mushrooms, and onions instead of pepperonni? It's my favorite.

Hope some of this is doable and helps.

BetteK

Barnie responded:
I have had chronic pain and now fibromyalgia. My story tells me that instead of looking for 'more" meds you should look for the right meds. I spent days with chronic pain doctors who determined they couldn't understand how I was functioning with the level of pain I have. If you are sleeping to much then your meds need to be looked at for better answers to give you quality of life. Being in bed for a long period of time causes more pain and stiffness and more Tylonal 3 will only make you sleep even more. Talk to the doctor about antidepression medications. The reason why I suggest that is because high levels of pain cause a deplession of endorphins and other pain reducing chemicals that our body is suppose to make. We are depleted because we are always dealing with pain. Ask if there is a chronic pain management team in your area or within your doctors team.
signed, thoughtful

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are dealing with so much right now...I did want to chime in about your post....I hope you will do some research on the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...I think you will find that pain pills is not something that most doctors think can help our pain....we have *chronic pain*...and most of the time pain pills are only for short periods.

I would encourage you to be sure and ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is important for a lot of people...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well. You do not say what, it anything, that you have tried. There are some medications which just might help you cope better.

I would also encourage you to learn how to pace, pace and pace even more....this is an important step in trying to figure out how to *manage the FM*...and it is not an easy thing to do either.

Drinking a lot of water every day might also help you. Limit or omit sodas completely...and watch what you eat...try to keep yourself on some sort of schedule, if you can. Limit your stress, if at all possible. This is very hard for me to do...I have struggled with this for many years now. You have to allow yourself to rest and recoup.

Sleep is really important but you say all you do is sleep. A lot of us FMers have problems with sleeping. Staying in bed for a long period of time is NOT a good thing...you need to move as much as you possible can.

Can you perhaps do *water exercises* in college? This might help you some.

You are correct....most people do not understand anything about just what we deal with every day. I am not sure that the doctors even know, except for Dr. P...who also deals with it...you can read some of his discussions...click on the discussions above. He provided our support group with some great info while he was here.

Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* too...you will probably find some good *tools* that you have not thought of. A heating pad can be a good friend. I also use the Stopain Spray on places which will not ease up. You can find it at Walmart..it is good stuff.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. Source One from Walmart is a good brand of mult vitamins (you can get it with extra D)...I also take the following: Fibro Response or Magnesium Malate (found at vitamin stores) Omegas, Super B Complex...plus others...these are the ones which help my FM pain the most.

You should also remember that it takes around 6-8 weeks for your body to actually *feel* a difference....there are no quick fixes that I am aware of.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts helps the body to relax.

Hang in there...I am sure that you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Good luck on your studies.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Rae201 replied to dollbug's response:
I take daily multi vitamins, walk almost an hour between classes, I've tried acupuncture, tinctures, I've even cut out wheat and meat from my diet but that is impossible while living in the dorms especially since I don't have a car and I'm 6 hours away from home, also iced tried every type of massage out there and the only thing that gives me relief is pain killers and the occasional massage. I've been in pain for so long I would rather sleep through it then always be consciously aware of it. It's debilitating and I feel like I can't live a normal life. I really just need support I'm trying my best to keep up with school work and have maintained B's in all my classes. Thanks for all of the advice!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.