Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New dog
maggiethedoglover posted:
Some of you may remember that the love of my life, Sampson, my 125 pound yellow lab, died 5 days before Christmas. After swearing that I wouldn't even consider a new dog until late spring and then it would be a rescue dog, I saw an ad for labradoodles. After a quick call to my sister, we started out on our oddysey and each returned home with a 9 week old labradoodle. Hers is cream colored and named Charlie. Mine if jet black with a tiny white patch on his chest. His name is Tyler.

While nothing can replace a lost pet or loved one, this helps ease the pain. Besides, I am so tired from trying to potty train him that I barely have energy to mourn.

Just wanted to share my joy.

Hugs to all of you,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

Anon_10089 responded:
Congratulations. I am so glad I finally got a dog in my life! They're great for comfort and distraction. Enjoy your new puppy!

dollbug responded:
Hello maggie....I think everyone who losing a dog should go and get another one....I had my little Rusty for almost 18 years....I raised him along with my children....he just never grew up....(in size) We were preparing for our trip to Canada and he got sick. I hated to leave and now that I think about this, he must have sensed something. I sat with him for most of the day. My daughter came in and said she thought he was just waiting for me to tell him things were going to be ok.

A little while I took him and tried to put him to bed. I told him that everything would be ok, that he needed to go to sleep...he took a couple of breaths and died. I could not believe this. I guess my daughter knew him better than I even did. We buried him before we left.
I still miss him....as he was part of my family. But I do know that he is better off. He had some health problems but he just did not want to let go.

I now have 2 small dogs....and they are good company for each other....Sassy does the talking for them both. CoCo doesn't ever hardly bark. But they are indeed a pair. CoCo knows exactly when it is bedtime. Sometimes I think he can read the clock. It is funny as he will want to go out right before bedtime and sometimes Sassy does not want to go...I will tell him to go get Sassy and he leaves and in a few minutes, here she comes.

I love my dogs....they are really good company for me.

I hope you and Tyler will have many happy years together.

Take care. Good luck with the potty training...I know this was the hardest part on me when I got CoCo...I wondered what in the world I was thinking but it was all worth the time and effort.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

maggiethedoglover replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks so much MiMi. Although he is a handful at times, Tyler actually had a very good day today, potty-wise. What a relief that is....just hope he and I can keep it up. I learned not to have food available at all times and to take him out immediately after he eats.

Sassy and CoCo sound like a great pair. You are blessed to have them!

Soft hugs,

maggie

maggiethedoglover replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thank you. Congratulations on your new one also. Pets can be such wonderful companions and stress relievers.

Soft hugs,

maggie

xperky replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
Maggie, that is great. I bet you are falling in love already!
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
So glad to read this Maggie, I too when I lost the cat of a lifetime said "never again" the pain was so hard. BUT then a resue I found and then he passed and I am on the third rescue now.......

The love of an animal and the joy they give you is nothing you can explain to someone without an animal....

Congratulations and good luck with the training (hence I love cats...eeeeeeasy).LOL, Nancy B

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi... I am so happy you have a new dog... I know when my Teddy went missing I was lost... My daughter came for a visit and found a baby chiwawa to take home with her... Then seen how I reacted to it... I missed mine so much... So she found me one and even tho Angel doesn't replace him... She does a great job of loving me and that's what matters... When I am sick she doesn't leave my side... She is so adorable and loving... Drives me nuts sometimes... lol...

I always think it is best to replace then to mourn on... And that's what I do without finding a pet to love... They are medicine to me... And a reason to get exercise lol... Angel won't go outside without me taking her lol... Anyone else can go so far as carrying her out and the minute they put her down she runs back to the doggy door... No matter how bad the urge... The minute I get up to take her she goes fine... Think she knows I need to get up worse then she needs to go out lol...

I am glad to share your joy... I count my blessings every time I have a horrendous headache and Angel licks my neck and forehead and it relaxes it some... And when my hands are super numb she licks them and they get some feeling back again too... Better feel the pain then nothing at all I mean to tell you... Hands with no feeling don't even pet right... lol...

Pets are so intuitive... She lies next to my legs when they have muscle spasms... And next to my back when it does... And next to my shoulders when the ice pack isn't there... Tried to lie on the ice pack but I think it was too cold lol...

She just knows when to love me and when to cuddle and kiss me... So have all my animals... And they all knew when I needed them... It is such a miracle... Such a blessing...

I hope you enjoy your new love... And that potty training goes fast...

Don't let it become my son's dog... She is so close to him and his kids she has separation anxiety when he or they leave... We have lost several pillows and stuffed animals and shoes and kitchen utinsels because of it... She just goes nuts... Being I am usually always home I try to talk her thru it and let her play with Angel... who she loves... sorta cool watching a chiwawa and golden retriever playing like they are nuts lol... but the first time she gets bored she searches for him/them and hits the destructiveness cycle...

Good luck training... Have fun loving...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.