Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TGIF****Roll Call***2/22/2013 *****a winter day in NC****
dollbug posted:
TGIF****Morning FMily....MiMi in NC where we got a bit of snow and sleet last night....it is now 32*....schools have been delayed or closed for the day, depending upon the location...better safe than sorry. I am hoping these cold days will soon be very few....before springtime arrives with better weather. I can now hear the birds singing...so it must be getting close.

I did sleep ok last night but woke up a bit too early. I have a couple of errands that I have to do today. DH is here though so that is good that he can go with me.

I have decided that it is time for me to learn how to shoot a gun....at my age I never once dreamed that I would do this but I guess I have no choice. The VP made a statement that perhaps women should get a rifle...no sure just why as a person would have to be a really good aimer to actually benefit from a rifle. I think that more and more people will begin to feel this way which is very sad. When there are lunatics roaming though a person does not always have a choice of what they can do.

I guess I should *never say never*....or so it seems.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our FM support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better. It does take time to figure out just what the body needs....so hang in here with us, learn all you can about what others have found that has made a difference for them. You should also remember though that what works for one may or may not work for you. Only you will know when you have found the right *combination of tools and tips* that work for you.

Vitamin D*****so important*****be sure and ask your doctor about getting your level checked....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. The good thing about this is it is a *cheap fix*...but it does take time to get your level back within a *normal range*. Do your own research about Vitamin D...you might be quite surprised of just how much has been done on the research of this vitamin, which is really a hormone that our body needs.

Here is hoping that each of you had a good night's rest and I hope that today will be a good day for us all.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it on this Friday in Feb.

My, how the time does fly.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi I am having trouble with my laptop or my keyboard that I bought... Let's try it again... I think so far so good... Yup... Think I found the problem...

Ok... Hi all... And good Friday to you... It will be a busy weekend here... No rest for the wicked.... The kids aren't going to Moms and aren't very happy about it... She had a death in the family.. Her uncle who was almost likable given less a beer or 2... was found in his home by his roommate... Who didn't call the police for hours until his family could view him... So now there are investigators and everyone involved... Seems he didn't know you didn't have to call them first... It is against the law not to or some bull like that... Anyway he is in trouble and the family including my X-DIL that had cut him out of their life is acting all weird now... They said he quit drinking 4 days ago and that's what killed him... I helped him thru withdraw once a long time ago... It could have if he drank worse then he did then... That was years ago... He also had a bad heart... He was being treated for it the last time I seen him about a year ago... And he did say he was "still drinking.. He had no reason to quit.. " He was living with my son and his wife when I was with them for my granddaughters birth... He was sober then... And a good friend... It was too bad he had to die alone...

I would like to go to his funeral... But my son doesn't suggest it... Thinks because of my negative relationship with my X-DIL it will just bring on another fight... I can say goodbye to him in my heart like I do everyone else... It would probably be a stress I don't need... He's right... And I am in no shape for adding stress...

Now for the good news... I must have fixed the problem with my keyboard lol... I am actually typing and not losing every other letter lol... Nor have I lost this message... But if another message shows up we know it didn't get lost just sent too early lol... My jerking is making me a real mess these days... It is definitely the "Parkinson's Rap" and not just the Parkinson's Dance"... No walzying thru life for me anymore lol... I definitely am not a graceful ballerina... lol... I need to play Rap music for breakfast to keep up with the beat lol... Then atleast I won't look like a spastic... Just look like an "over aged" {elderly} Rapper... My stuttering creates the rap song to go right along with it lol...

Actually my stuttering isn't too bad today... I stutter more typing lol... But that is fixable lol...

I can go rest now... But want to check out a couple of messages here... You all have a great day... Be good to yourselves...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

KatmanduLou responded:
Hi All - Thank GAWD it's Friday!

Cold again in southeastern Mass., and another snow storm is rolling in, just when the last one is receding.

Tomorrow night, DH and I will have a nice dinner out (I'll even shave my legs LOL) to celebrate Valentine's Day. There are a couple of very swanky restaurants in my area. I'm hoping the icky weather hold off!

I have my usual February cold, with a stuffy nose and scratchy throat. I went to yoga last night, and I was fine until late in the class trying to hold positions - then the coughing started. I know I shouldn't take a decongestant, but I've gotta get this stuff out of my system! I take the smallest dose just to get rid of it.

MiMi, my DH recently took the class required for gun ownership, and he's urging me to take it. We don't own any guns - yet - , but I think if there is a gun in your house you should know how to use it safely.

Jan, I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes it's best to reflect in your heart, and I hope you find the peace you need and deserve.

I'll end here, I feel more sneezing coming on. I wish you all the best day - and the best weekend- you can possibly have!
Lou

mnjeepguy responded:
Good morning everyone. I slept about10hrs last night. My body needed it though after coming off nights. Boy am I groggy. It's like coming out of a coma I suppose.

Jan, My family is full of alcoholics. Many have sobered up and moved on thankfully. My father almost died from it. He was in the ICU for withdrawls after falling and hitting his head. The injury wasn't bad enough for it. It was severe, but he saved his life by quiting and moving out of town to get away from his old friends and habits. A lot of good people are lost to this terrible disease.

Mimi, depending where you live it may be good to be a responsible gun owner. Learning how to safely handle and store a firearm is a good start. I myself have a couple. I do not hunt or use them for protection, just for target shooting. Starting with a small .22 is good for learning to aim. ver inexpensive ammo.

It is snowing here today. We wont get much as we are on the edge of that huge storm. The temp warmed up a bit too when it rolled in. I don't mind that at all.

As I sit here with coffee slowly waking, I wish you all a good day. Thake care everyone.

Cory

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hello MiMi, Jan, Lou and Cory and to all that follow. And I really am so glad it's Friday. Health wise it's been a brutle week. Fibro kicked in with a bad flare Sunday night, IBS came with it and all because I got a cold Saturday UGH I hate winter.

I hope each of you had a good yesterday and that your today is going well. I know that some of our Fibro Fmily is facing more cold and snow. I hope that those of you that are stay safe and that there isn't any damage from the storms.

The weather here is warm today, but will be cold at night. We had rain last night and now that's heading East towards NC. Looks to be sunny over the next few days, but cold at night and I can live with that.

Spent yesterday indoors so I guess I will have to venture out today to get a few errands done. I am feeling somewhat better today, but no where near 100%. Being sick is no fun so I try my best to avoid getting things that will make me sick. So I was not happy to hear on the news that the " double" senior flu shot I was told I had to take wasn't even close, only 20% it would help with the flu, to being able to help my system ward off any one of the flu bugs out there. Now I am feeling lucky that I haven't, fingers crossed, gotten a full blown flu.

MiMI, we have a riffle here at the house and I have never learned to fire it. I heard what the VP said the other day and I got thinking about getting a new gun. What I'd like to have around the house is a shot gun. I most likely wouldn't miss a home invader with that. So may talk to DH about getting one.
We used to have a hand gun here, couldn't fire that one either, but when the grand children starting coming along I had DH take it to the gun shop and sell it.

Okay not a lot to post about so will close this here with feel well wishes to all. Have a good day everyone.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

fibroinsd responded:
afternoon all..

A nice day here..still a bit cool..but nothing like what most of the country is dealing with, so I have no complaints.

I have been off work all week, and I can't believe it is over...I did get part of my application done to apply to get a special ed credential added to my teaching credential. It is a year long program, but I think I need to do it You would not believe how much you have to do to get into this program. And for an older student like me..not easy..

I also ran to the mall today, hoping to get some new tennis shoes..but didn't see what I wanted..

Mimi...I so wish the Dear Vice President hadn't said that..he does say some strange things sometimes. I think it just added to the fears that some people have...I grew up depending on the police and military to keep us safe. I always felt that having a gun in the house can be so dangerous..too easy for kids to get a hold of...and too hard for me to use in an emergency. Well, I have lived this long without a gun or feeling like I needed it..hopefully, I can live the rest of my life without feeling like I need it. I know some people like to hunt..that isn't me..and target shooting can be fun..but I think if I wanted to do that, I could go to a range and rent the gun..like I said..haven't done it..so not that familiar with it. I know I tried shooting a gun in high school, but it wasn't all that great.

I know I should go exercise...but did it yesterday..not sure I will make it today..

Jan..so sorry about the uncle. I think your son is right..no need for you to go...you were good to the guy when it counted, I am sure...

Well, Lou, Cory, Mimi, and Linda..sure hope it starts warming up for you all soon...seems like this has been a long winter..

Oh yes...Linda..on the flu shot...I heard yesterday that only 9% of the seniors that got the shot were helped by it, and that it could be unhelpful if you had a compromised system and it made me mad again that they gave that to my dad...

Not much else to report..hope you all have a good weekend.
cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

dollbug replied to fibroinsd's response:
Hello cece....so glad that you posted....I have missed *seeing you here*....I hope things goes well with your studies....I am sure you will enjoy doing it and then putting it to good use. I really miss not being able to get out and work....I think I miss the people contact more.

I worked from a young age....in a country store and then at a place something like a Dairy Queen...and a truck stop when I was a teenager...and then I got married and worked at several banks before I decided to have my family...I then stayed home for a while when my children were little...and then I ventured out again into banking again and then finally at the loan servicing company..but yes, I do miss getting out and about and I also miss the money. Don't have any idea how I could do anything though without any energy. There are days when I hate the wrath of the dragon.

I do agree with you on the gun issues....BUT I also think that since my daughter has had issues with this lunatic recently...and law enforcement is no longer what it use to be....I guess I feel that it is time for me to learn to handle a gun. I think it is the only solution here. I also want to be able to protect myself if need be.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

BetteK replied to fibroinsd's response:
Mary, it's great that you're expanding your credentials. Here in NY you get more pay for every extra graduate credit you have. It's also a way to keep you on your toes. The tricks that special ed. teachers use for their sometimes difficult students are great for all teachers.

I was a late bloomer, too. I was 37 when I started college, but I got an A.S. in chem tech, a B.A. in biology, and a M.S.Ed. in reading (which qualified me for special ed, too along with chemistry, biology, general science, and math). I think we older students appreciate learning more because we had some time away from it. (K to 12 is 13 years straight. If you go straight to college, it's 17 years of grind.)

BetteK

BetteK replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
Jan, the Discovery Channel used to have a program about Dr. G. She was a medical examiner, and one of her "patients" was an alcoholic who quit cold turkey. I forget the specifics, but the shock to his body killed him. Believe it or not but another case was this man who was a nutritional nightmare eating way too much, most of it fried. His doctor put him on a strict diet, which he adhered to for several weeks lowering his B.P., blood sugar, and cholesterol. Then his wife took him to his favorite restaurant to celebrate his birthday with a steak dinner. Although he ate far less than his old self would have, his body was not ready for the sudden influx of cholesterol, and he had a massive coronary.

Strange things happen. I'm sure the truth will out in this case too.

It's sad that this dear man is gone. If you wish to say goodbye, do so. Don't let your ex-daughter-in-law keep you from doing what you feel is right. Ignore her.

BetteK

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.