Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Suggestions for feeling better during wet weather?
jeremy1010 posted:
Hi everyone,
It's my first time posting here. I was diagnosed with fibro about a year ago, after experiencing symptoms beginning 1.5 years ago. I thought the diagnosis would help me cope better (I take Lyrica now), and my wife thinks that it has, but there are some really bad times as well. In New York it's been wet and cold for the last two weeks, and I've been in pretty bad shape with a sore throat that seems to stay with me no matter what, and also my stomach has been bad and my lower back has been hurting a lot - my legs hurt, too, but they tend to hurt relatively often. I also feel mentally foggier in this type of weather.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get through damp weather like this? I feel really hopeless because I'm starting my own company and it's really hard for me to function at the level that I need to.

dollbug responded:
Hello jeremy....and welcome....MiMi in NC...heating pads.....love them and they just might help ease some of your pain...Sorry that you are dealing with so many issues...You might also try Stopain Spray (found at walmart or drug stores)...it is good stuff...for places which just will not ease up...I have had lower back pain now for some time....I use it especially when I am going out.

The fog....wish I could say something to help you on this...but the fog and the fatigue are 2 things which I have no clue what might help them...the doctor says nothing....but what I find strange is the fact that this also changes...from day to day.

It is extremely important to make sure you pace, pace and then pace even more...and limit the stress that you have (this is also very hard for me to do as well)...

Drinking plenty of water each day and watching what you eat might also help.

I have to ask you....Has your doctor checked your Vitamin D level? If not, then please speak to your doctor about this....it is a simple blood test....BUT you must ASK the doctor to run it...as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

Also...have you tried vitamins and supplements....I tried several different kinds of medicine in the beginning...but found none that really helped me without causing side effects..and to be honest I did NOT need anything else to deal with. So I did my own research...and figured out just the right combination of Vitamins and supplements that works for me. We are all different so what helps one may or may not help another...only you will know when you have found what works for you...it takes a trial and error process to find the right tools and tricks.

I take Fibro Response or Magnesium Malate (found at vitamin stores)...I actually alternate between the 2 of them...Omegas, Super B Complex, a good multi vitamin with extra D...(source one at walmart's is a good choice for me)....probiotic....plus others...as I also have other health issues.

I am sure that soon you will find something that will help you cope better....so hang in there. Learn all you can about FM and you can start right here....check out the info under *tips* and *resources*....and of course check out the *member toolbox*...I am sure you will get some good *tools* there that might help you.

I hope Cory will chime in and offer you some advice on what has helped him.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jeremy1010 replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi, thanks so much - there is a lot here I haven't yet tried! I have tried vitamins and suplements but Fibro Response looks good so I may try that. I think my Vitamin D level was checked so I'm not sure.

Side note, the weather was much better the next day and even though I didn't feel perfect, I didn't feel like life was ending, either. I think maybe even sunlight makes a difference - wonder if anyone else has experienced that.

dakotaspirit1957 replied to jeremy1010's response:
Hi Jeremy1010... Welcome to our family... I could say everything Mimi has mentioned but that would be repetitious... LOL... I would like to add tho... We have a toolbox that is a bunch of messages written by members discussing what helps them deal with FM... You might be interested in them... Here is the URL to them...

http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/tip/5

It is always a great place to start...

Also... getting to know FM is the best defense for then you can truly accept life as it is with it... I think anyway... I I strive and struggle to accept myself and all my illnesses daily and usually moment to moment... I said illnesses for I have multiple illnesses... And as with just about everything... Acceptance is the key to my strength and maintaining the health I have... That and trying to maintain a positive spirit...
When it is damp and cold here... Which takes a lot in Arizona but it does get there... Like as of lately... I cuddle up with my heavy comforter and if I need 2 comforters I take the chance I can stand the weight of 2 upon my body... Or I pull out my heating blanket... I would like to get a water bed again... To stay cool in the 100 * weather and warm in the 40*... lol... But my other illnesses don't like water beds anymore... Bummer... LOL...

I also put Vicks Rub on the bottom of my feet... it helps trap the heat in my body... Works for me... May not for every body... But does me... I don't know why LOL...

A heating pad for those badly chilled spots... I can't seem to get my upper... Shoulders... And neck warm a lot... The heating pad does the trick... Also on my lower back... My hands... My chest... Those are my cold areas...

Warm tea or hot chocolate... I like herbal tea the kind that relaxes you... And Chocolate... Well Chocolate is my vice for all ailments lol... Gotta have my chocolate... LOL...

Actually anything to warm you inside out... Soups... Drinks... Etc...

Well Hun... I am going to take a cat nap before I have to get up and do dishes lol... Been pacing them off into the back field all morning lol... Sometimes I love this pacing bit lol... I didn't get sleep last night so I need a little rest... And I... Got a birthday cake to bake... And need a dose of energy... I am going to locate my comforter and get this chill off me... And come back to read more later...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

MarFran responded:
I can relate to your problem because I live in the Seattle, WA are where it rains and is cold, dark and damp 9 months of the year. I gave good days and bad days and always feel better in summer when it's warmer and we get some sunshine. I try not to stay outdoors too much when it's rainy and I dress warm in layers, plus use a heating pad or heated throw blanket when relaxing inside at home. I've had fibro for almost 20 years and I'm glad to hear that someone is helped with Lyrica.

BetteK responded:
Jeremy, we are in western NY and you are right about the weather. It is damp a lot of the time. With most weather coming from the west, the Great Lakes are a major source of moisture.

If you aren't taking a nice, warm shower morning and night, try it. No, you won't turn into a prune. You will loosen up those muscles. A tub bath at night is even better--especially if your worst areas would be under water during the bath. (When my neck acts up, I take two hand towels into the tub with me, get them nice and hot, and alternate them on my neck, shoulders, and upper back. One towel gets cold. By alternating, your body stays warm.

We all have lots of ideas to try. You'll find what works for you. Don't be surprised if today's fix needs tweaking next month or next year. That's FM for you.

BettK

rosielou responded:
Have you tried those thermacare stick on heating pads? They can be very helpful on cold damp days, and they last for hours I like the Neck size and put them where I hurt, 2 at the same time on a bad day, neck and lower back. When we visit family in Seattle (hi MarFran) they allow me to stay in 'happy' mode (with some extra pills) for a much longer time each day.

Hope this helps RosieLou

jeremy1010 replied to rosielou's response:
Wow, thanks to *all* of you for your great responses. I really appreciate it. I sure have a lot to try! Having all these different options and knowing at least some of these can help really gives me more hope to function at a higher level.

Thanks again!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
457 of 532 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.