Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rheumatologist appt.
crystalgreeneyes posted:
I am seeing a new rheumatologist for a second opinion. How can I prepare myself properly for this appt. so that I don't leave feeling as frustrated as I did with the previous one? I find that although I write down points which I want to discuss, I always seem to forget something.
Thanks to all for your replies.

katmandulou responded:
Hi crystalgreeneyes:
Write down everything you want to talk to the doc about, no matter what. I always bring a list, which makes the doc smile. He knows I won't sit there and say, "let's see, what did I want to ask you..."

Once my list had these two items:
* Lyrica (saw TV ad, ask him)
* Vitamin D (MiMi said to ask)

What I'm on works, so no Lyrica. He tested for Vitamin D deficiency, and now I take 1,000IU every morning.

I hope this helps.
Lou

BetteK replied to katmandulou's response:
Crystal,

Another option:

Bring a friend or family member.

Give a copy of your list to your friend.

This way, if you forget to ask a question, you're covered. A second set of ears listening to what the doc says is a good thing too.

I hope this appointment helps you get a handle on your fibro. If not, another way to go is with a neurologist. We don't have a joint disease, we have a faulty information system that calls things "pain" when other people's nerve endings would signal "light touch," or "a little pressure." Neurologists understand faulty signals.

Just my take----one of many,

BetteK

booch007 responded:
Hey crystal,

There s no sure way to say that this is going to go well. the fit of physician is the toughest. I cried many a times outside in the parking lot when I was on my search for a fit. NOW I am not moving from this office. I love them, and they me............

So prepare as I did maybe. A list of what you can't do (your triggers for pain) and then what you can do and how you modified it to make it work.

If you do something when does it begin to hurt or symptoms start.

The things (non medical) you have learned to help with the pain and how hard you are trying to be the best you can be.

Please don't arrive and say I am in pain *fix me....

It won't go well and that is when the drug seeker label will arrive. tell him tyour story. I always typed a letter of my story to share. They sit and read it, it takes less time, you say everything you need to and he can work from there. You are on a timed basis with him (40 min for new patient)...so less is more. After reading the letter he will examine you and pry in a little deeper to what you have said to help make the diagnosis for you.

How long has this been going on?
How did it start and where is it at now?
What are your daily activities....problems with self care? dishes? laundry? Sleeping? (I actually added that I tossed and turned so much and turned to the right over and over ...in case that meant something neurological...) what did I know. I left little out....

Put in how much you are trying to be better and you need him to help get you better in this mess. I have never had a problem with a doctor..but I had many a non-fit*. Difference. The non fits told me crazy things as my diagnosises..

One said " You lost the fat pads in your elbows when you lost weight and that is why your hands hurt.." and by the way Mrs.B you can use to lose more weight!" I actually paid cash for that jerk. Wrong fit!!

When I met my "Physician Champion"....she said.."oh can't swallow well...that is because of these muscles...and pointed to her book..I said I had hand pain on waking...she knew it was the muscle in front and behind the arm pit. THI S TUNE UP and relationship is now 13 years old.......

Cried then too......but it was for joy that I finally felt someone understood me. I own this book of hers and many more, education for the issues is paramount.

Good luck and try the letter, it focuses all on the story and for this disease, the exam is one part but the STORY is so important too. Hugs...Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.