Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Community Support
FibroFighter999 posted:
I am a 47yo lady who has basically been surviving on my wits and instincts for the past 6 years since diagnosis. I really need to know what others are doing to help keep fibro at bay or at least get tips on how are you able to function. I am very lucky at the present time to still be working but have been fading fast after my appendix removal surgery in 2012. I wake and go to bed tired, the pain is at present, severe. My arms are like lead and my hands are on fire, just the backs not the palms. My short term memory is suffering. I am hesitant to try new meds due to side effects. I have little support so please tell me there are others out there who are coping and what has helped you. Thank you in advance for your reply.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are dealing with so much right now. I am sure you will soon find something though that will help you cope better.

Have you gotten your doctor to check your Vitamin D level? If not, please speak to them about this. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I encourage you to also check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox*.

You did not say if you are taking anything right now or not. Have you tried any vitamins and supplements? I am one of the FMers here who depend upon them to help control my FM pain...I take the following: Multi vitamin with extra D...(I take Source One from walmart), Omegas, Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (I take one a day of each now-they can be found at vitamin stores) ....I also drink plenty of water and watch what I eat as well. I use a heating pad as needed and Stopain Spray (found at walmart when I can not get the pain to ease)...I have learned how to pace, pace and pace even more. I also have chronic fatigue which I have not found anything to help yet. It is also important to keep yourself on some sort of schedule of sorts.

It does take a trial and error process to figure out just what the body needs to cope better.....so hang in there and I am sure you will find this. You should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to try before making a decision as to whether or not what you are doing is actually working for you, (unless, of course, it is making you sicker).

Taking a hot shower right before bedtime using lavender bath salts also helps the body to relax so that you can rest better...Getting enough sleep is really important for us FMers.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Welcome to our family. Joining our family has helped me more than anything else. There are so many helpful hints here. I recently got an electric lap blanket. It was 50% off due to spring being right around the corner. I sleep with it and it really helps with the restless leg syndrome and pain. Mimi gave you really good advise. I have followed her advise and have found relief. The Stopain Roll-on has really helped me. My Walmart did not sell the spray. Just keep trying things until you find what works for you. Do you have a doctor that is helping you? My prayers are with you. Please keep writing so we know how you are doing.

Soft hugs, Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Hi Hun... You have come to a wonderful place for support and info... Welcome Home...

We have a wonderful place called our Toolbox... Here is the URL for it...

http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/tip/5

It is us telling you things that help us and hopefully you can find a lot of help there...

Yes it is scary to try meds... But some meds don't have side effects for some people and you wjon't know if they can help you or if you are the side effect free person unless you give them a try... I take 2 opiates for pain... no side effects at all... That is because I don't take too much... I don't get tired ot high... The meds fight my pain not my brain... I am one of the lucky ones... they actually help too...

I don't do well on Lyrica and Cymbalta and Neurontin for I have stomach problems and it doesn't like them... I didn't see a lot of betterment either but I didn't stay on them longer then 1 to 2 months... the neurontin I was on for 9 months but my stomach was all messed up... my gasteroentologist had to start back at step 1... Had a long way to return...

Everyone is different when it comes to treatment... most of my treatment is meditation... self hypnosis... and imagery... I take morphine 3 times a day and oxycodone for breakthru pain 4 times a day if needed... I have multiple illnesses... Many chronic and many painful... All incurable... FM is just a kick in the bucket lol...

My best defense... Is acceptance of my illnesses and my life... and Myself... and a positive attitude... Which I usually accomplish thru helping others.... I am not perfect... I am human with manic depression... and a few other mental disorders... So I am in my eyes "beyond" human lol... I get down... I get depressed... I get stressed.. I come here and unload... I help when I can and I feel better...

That is what this is all about...

I hope you can find the caring you need...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
365 of 392 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.