Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Best Friend and the Spoon Theory
dakotaspirit1957 posted:
I can't believe the evening I had with my best friend... She got here and asked me about what living with all these illnesses especially FM was like... I immediately thought of the Spoon Theory... For those of you who don't know what I am talking about it is a beautiful piece written by Christine Miserandino... A dear woman who has Lupus... She wrote it about her life with Lupus but wrote it for all those with chronic illness and disabilities... Please stop now and read it before going on... Then you will understand what I am talking about... You won't regret it...

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I knew just what to tell her... First I showed her a chart showing the 18 tender points...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001463/

Then pinched her and told her if she did that to me it would have felt like she stabbed me... She then asked is that why sometimes you wince at my hug... I said yeh... and put a piece of paper on her leg... I told her tonight that hurts me... My shirt touching my leg hurts me... That's why I have it pulled way up...

She has sciatica and a bad back... So she knows what pain is like... But she told me she has never seen anyone in the kind of pain she has seen me in... Is that FM... I showed her the facts on line and some writings here... She sympathized with everyone here... Then I read the Spoon Theory...

My Dear Best Friend cried... For once she tried to understand and said she didn't think she would ever really understand the maximum of it all... She explained... Having RSD... FM... Uncontrolled Diabetes... MS... Parkinson's Disease... 5 Digestion Problems so bad I can't digest medicine to help me most of the time... Manic Depression... Depression with Suicidal Tendencies... PTSD... and Schizophrenia... And now going deaf...

And she looked at me and started crying again and this time I was in tears too... "How can you keep smiling at me... And be so positive and supportive of me..." she said... I told her "Because you are worth many spoons"...

I write this to tell you I am blessed... My dearest friend Lori is so dear... I so hope you all have someone like her in your life... And if you don't now... I hope you find her/him soon... We all deserve a blessing like Lori... I only hope I can be as big a blessing in return... I sure am trying to be...

Bless you...

Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota

dollbug responded:
Hello Jan and thanks for sharing....You are indeed blessed to have Lori as a dear friend. She cared enough to ask your about your illness. Most people do not even care and certainly most do not even try to understand.

Life is indeed so very short....as we should all take the time and enjoy as much of it as we possibly can.

I hope you will have Lori as a dear friend for a very long time.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.