Skip to content
Men with Fibro
RMiller posted:
I am 64, diagnosed approx 25 years ago I have gone thru meds like water. Currently I take 2400 mg of gabapentin and 60 mg of morphine sulphate among others. Because of severe migraines I get Botox shots every three months; most of the shots are in the skull and then down the neck; they work except for the last couple of weeks before the next shots are due. Cold and damp turn joints and muscles into hot boxes of pain. I found a pain clinic who gives me trigger point injections when it gets too overwhelming and I get some relief. I know they say only 10% of fibromyalgia patients are men but I want to share it's been a very painful journey and now it's just one day at a time.

dollbug responded:
Hello RMiller and welcome.....MiMi in NC...we do have a few men here who post some....you are correct....it is reported that few men have FM....but I happen to think that the number would be higher IF more men decided to address their health issues. I think this is the reason that the number to so very low.

I think we all understand the painful journey that you take every day and just how you must deal with it one day at a time....sometimes I have to deal with the time right now....it just depends on what is going on at the time.

I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources*....as I am sure you will find some things to try that perhaps you have not thought of before. It is indeed a very tough journey for all of us but I am sure that you will finds some things here that perhaps will help you cope better.

I do hope that you have asked your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....if not, then I hope you will bring this up at your next appointment. Low Vitamin D is common for a lot of people these days and it can cause some people to have additional pain as well as affect other illnesses too.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. This was only after trying medicines which did not help me without causing other side effects....I did not need anything else to deal with.

Have you tried using a heating pad when it is cold and damp? I use my heating pads a lot....especially when I have pain which will not let up. I also take a hot shower at night right before bedtime using lavender bath salts so that I can rest better. I also sleep in a recliner with pillows...(not by choice though)...I think we all have to figure out what to do so that we can cope better.

You say you have migraines. Have you tried taking magnesium malate? I have read that this is also good for them. This is one of the supplements that I take everyday. I also take the following as well: Fibro Response (found at vitamin store) Omegas, a good multi vitamin with extra D (source one at walmarts is a good one) Super B complex. I also take other things as well since I have other health issues...but these are the ones which help my FM pain the most.

It does take a trial and error process to find the right combination of tools that work....and since we are all different what works for one may or may not work for you.

I am sure others will chime in here to offer their take on what helps them as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
Oh R miller, you are not alone...I know of 4 here that come and go...one (Jim) was hysterical in his ability to work within the walls of this didease.

Now as a patient and a nurse I will say, I have done trigger point shots for the last 10 years and it is every 2 weeks as they don't last as I work and move and once the neck muscles (specifically the scalenes) are tough to help without shots. Headaches and swallow issues or the feeling of choking when i lay down is a standard sense when i am in trouble.

I have done Botox twice and it was more neurotoxic then I was willing to do, plus my neurologist doesn't do it more then that. The medical reason for it is to poison the endplates of the muscles so they can't spasm..and you grow back new ones...

It seems we grow back new dysfunctional ones so it is rare to be a real fix. I do very well with the trigger injections "the more they hurt" the more I know she is in the zone that is needed to be hit as well as a twitch and release response.

I would ask for you to look at FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Dr Devin Starlanyl 19.99 on Amazon.com...a great book for you as it will tell you wear the trigger point is for the symptom you have. Massaging the neck is not an option most of the time, but it is grest knowledge to have a small price to pay.

I also use a massage therapist to help me (tried a few before I hit a good one for me)

I will post the toolbox post next for you to look throught the notes and maybe learn a new tool to help yourself.

There are times my head feels like GLASS...if I turn even a slight it hurts so bad, in that case I shower and wash my hair to massage the scalp and have the hoty water run over it....
I use Soma (muscle relaxant) and my pain med is lower then yours at the tramadol level.

When the muscles are all festered like NOW..the tension to them is so high no meds helps...I will add motrin or meloxicam to aid in any ligament inflamed from the pulling of the muscles on them...like shoulders get into trouble from the trapezius...it takes the edge off. I use savella as the SNRI....you didn't say you are on this? No antidepresant to help with seratonin and norepinephrine...? Reading this book will help see and looking in the toolbox will give you the flavor we have all found works for each of us.

I am hopeful getting a better base of meds you can pull down on the morphine....that is an avenue looking for trouble. As you can see it isn't giving you much, you still need shots and a good dose of gaba..

I also want to be clear that we are never painfree...just turned down a notch to have a life....non meds added help too. Heat is our best friend often many heat pads to a FM house, distraction and laughter is all good added in the box.

So you are not alone, right now Cory is the most frequennt poster...hoping he sees this and talks to you, he too works and keeps as active as he can with his issues.

Good luck and look in the toolbox and read the other FMily statements.........Hugs, Nancy B

booch007 responded:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/resource/4

This is the link to the toolbox, but to the right under ressoures is where it is found in case the link doesn't work.

Caprice our old moderator copied it and kept it forever for us.

I tis 7 pages long but worth the read........Nancy B

mnjeepguy responded:
Welcome! This is a good place to be. I am here after researching fibro. several family members have severe fibro, I am not officially diagnosed but fibro was suggested and my treatment is for fibro. The trigger point test was inconclusive but everything I have experienced fits this dragon.

I was far more active than most people my age until just a few years ago. It was like hitting a wall. I eat well, drink seldom, don't smoke, and on paper I was a vision of health but suffer from chronic pain. I don't even get colds. It keeps getting worse. I am able to work full time but it is a stuggle. I can't handle the cold weather I used to thrive in. Many things have changed.

My personal tools are many. Learning to pace is so important. Keeping stressors out of my life and reducing the ones I have to live with has helped me. I take several supplements that help. Vitamin D, Magnesium, Calcium and fish oil.

There's something I say often, day by day. One day at a time is all we can do. I never know what the next one will bring.

The support and resources here are lifesavers.

Keep posting and never give up.

Cory

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.