Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone else feel a pulse in odd places?
BetteK posted:
This is just wierd. I expect to feel throbbing with migranes. I do not expect to be distractred by a sudden strong pulse in my right calf or left abdomen.

It's not really a pain, but an awareness of this rhythmic beat being where I've never noticed one before.

We all sense/feel things that others do not. That's what FM is: an increased ability in our nervous system to be aware of things that are ignored by or nonexistent in normal people. It's just that it's usually a pain response. Suddenly feeling this thump, thump, thump in an odd part of the body, it's just so unexpected.

If I put my hand where the pulse is, I cannot really feel it with my fingers. I think it is too deep. But it is impossible to ignore. It's like that "heart in your throat" feeling after a major scare--a fender bender, or the illness of a loved one. It's THERE and not something that you can miss.

I've never read about this in any of the FM literature. Has this happened to anyone else?

BetteK

booch007 responded:
Bette you bring up such interesting stuff.

You know when your eyelid spasms and it is a rythmic twitch? Is it like that? It can be nerve inervation at some level that you are sensing.

Like if I push up a hill when walking when I returnt o the car I have legs twitching away..."throb like" but it is the tissues and nerves challenged from what I just put them through.

This is what came to mind for me. I don't or can't think that it is vascular in nature.......most don't feel aneuryms and HIGH B/P would be sensed in the full system not just one area. So I would go with the neuro concept....

Try warming the area and see if it helps, bringing in new oxygenated blood tot he tissues may quiet them down.

Good luck, Nancy B

BetteK replied to booch007's response:
Nancy,

You have the best ideas. Thank you for the reassurance.

It is so disconcerting to feel this rhythmic pulse first in one place and then another.

After all this time, I shouldn't be surprised by anything FM throws my way, but there are still some new ones out there.

Thanks again,

BetteK

booch007 replied to BetteK's response:
Bring it to the docs attention when you go, but I think if you watch it...you will see it is neuronic inervention. Tell him the theory as well. Thanks, Nancy B

jennagale76 responded:
I do. It can be in different places. I also have this thing when I lie down where I can hear my own pulse/heart, and feel the pulsing in my temples. (no headache) It drives me crazy.

BetteK replied to jennagale76's response:
Jennagale,

You're right, it does drive you crazy! But, hey, most of us have been there and done that with our docs assuring us that FM was "all in our heads."

That sits right up there with, "Now don't you bother your pretty little head about that."

Closely followed by, "It's nothing serious. All your tests came back negative."

Your doc probably told you the pulsing in your temples was
"anxiety" or "panic attacks."

We know better. It's probably another manifistation of fibromyalgia.

BetteK

dizziblondeme responded:
I'm not a neurologist, but don't nerves pulse, throb, whatever? This could just be some weird "nerve storm" caused by who knows what sensory input, being misinterpreted by your fibro-deranged nervous system. I get this too, and it used to scare the whiskers off me; I would catastrophize it into DVT/other thromboses, MS, diabetic neuropathy (I'm not diabetic), you name it, I had it! Then, after many tests to rule out any of those other things, my doctor finally came around to good old fibromyalgia. Now, when I feel these funky beats, I say, "Another fibro gift: fascinatin' rhythm!" and roll over and at least try to go back to sleep.
That said, I would always advise you to ask your doctor about any new or alarming symptoms!
Smiling through the tears, The Dizzy Blonde

BetteK replied to dizziblondeme's response:
Dear Dizzy,

Gosh, it's good to know someone else has been there and done that. Even after 42 years, fibro can still come up with new ones.

You sound like my sister, 3 years younger, still a size 8, and a "natural" blond since she was 18. She's more silver/white now at 66, but she still struts her stuff. Totally unlike her matronly, gray, size 14 or so sister.

Thank you so much for the valued input.

BetteK

booch007 replied to jennagale76's response:
Good morning.

The point on this post is not the nervous system I think. The vessels in your head area are very shallow and your sensory to your ears can hear an increase in blood flow or pressure. Now I would look at this as a vascular issue. Whether the neck muscles are tightened and when you lie down you are not draining the upper head area well. Raising the head may help..in fact putting blocks under the headboard legs can help with the drainage.

I have found adding pillows only crimped my neck more.

B/P being too high can give this symptome as well...so you should be checked and randomly if you can (wallmart...home cuff...walk in to PMD office and see if you are running high, and it is ot the muscle or our poor dragon we blame everything on!

Back to neuro.....the synapse or junction between the muscles has a chemical exchange going on and it is ni here...plus chemistry within the muscles with oxygen and sodium, potassium and calcium (electrolytes) that can create the muscle twitch and throb you sense...

Just to maybe be a bit clearer for you.....If I had it all the time i would look at my hydration, my chemistry...electrolytes...(gatorade) and the leg circulation (that maybe I need supprt socks or hose.....to helpmove the blood forward from the legs.

I wear supports all the time. I use a company called www.walker.com they are the cheapes....plethora of styles , even to the lace topped ones i own that are thigh high.

But talk to the MD and share all the crazy symptoms you feel those who know this condition can filter the FM from the medical issues that can be creating the symptoms.
Good luck, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.