Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Men with FM
RMiller posted:
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. A few months ago my vitamin D level was very low but after high doses I've brought it back to a more normal number. I sat a computer most of my working career; I fianlly had the job of my dreams after 25+ years with the same company when the FM became so unbearable I was put on long-term disability and finally on Social Security Disabillty; I was 53. My first pain med solution was oxycontin, after several years I was up to 240 mg per day, 120 mg in the morning and 120 mg at night. Finally in 2009 I decided enough was enough; the pain was getting worse and the oxy was helping less. I actually checked myself in to a detox center in the hospital and quit cold turkey.......after three days of screaming from pain they put me on the Morphine Sulphate. I know the results of not taking it on time - trust me it ain't pretty. I've tried all the new FM wonder drugs with no noticeable affect. I admit I have some really detrimental stressers; mostly notably my partners health, my Dad's health, my baby sister's cancer, and my neices (19 yrs old) battle with chrones disease. My best friend is killing himself with alcohol and I'm helpless to help him. I think writing this all down and knowing there are others out there dealing with similar situations lowers my stress and I thank all of you for that.

BetteK responded:
R,

Oh, what a mess of stressors! And of course, beint the truly sensitive people we FMers all are--in every meaning of the word--we feel it is up to us to fix it all.

Can't be done. All you can do is your best for yourself. All you can do for others is be there for them when they need you. And sometimes it's just a simple thing like asking what
needs to be done. Example: I am a good driver who learned to negoatiate city streets a long time ago. If a friend or neighbor needs to go to Buffalo or Rochester for a doctor's appointment, I always at least ask if they would like me to drive them. I used to grocery shop for elderly neighbors when their health kept them from the store.

We all have talents or gifts, things that are simple and easy for us to do. And sometimes those talents are a godsend to others.

In the meantime, think of the Serenety Prayer. It's time to distinguish between the things you can change and those you cannot.

Towards that wisdom,

BetteK

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.