Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reconsidering Fibromyalgia
Czechmate36 posted:
So, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia few years ago, and while I experience some of the symptoms (such as have two tight pressure points on my neck) and have leg soreness. I also feel very tired.

...But nothing helps. Not even slightly. They keep dumping muscle relaxers on me and have moved me to tramadol. I never feel more energy and excercise makes things worse not better.

The BIGGEST part is that I now feel numbness and tingling in my legs. (The right more than the left). I had two surgeries in my life. Left: One to separate a bone in my foot that had grown together and another to reconstruct my leg after a severe dog bite. On the right, I was injured 9 months ago (an avulsion and torus fracture) when I was pushed down some stairs. I've always had these issues with my leg pain as long as I can remember, but the fact that I'm falling on my face, going numb in one or both legs, feeling severe knee and hip joint pain, and so tired at age 21 has me absolutely terrified.

I don't have medical insurance, but I do have a kind dad that is willing to pay for my visit to a GP and 100% charity at a rather large hospital.

Basically...my question to anyone expert or novice (who experienced what I am experiencing or has fibromyalgia or knows someone with these or is a medical pro.)...Does this sound like fibromyaliga? I literally feel disabled beyond belief and I just want to have fun again. If not...any idea what it might be or how I should convince my doctor that I am dead serious about this problem? I'm worried my shyness is going to make me look "emotionally troubled" or is going to limit my ability to articulate.

Thanks,
Cassie

Take the Poll

Does this sound like fibromyaligia?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

dollbug responded:
Hello Cassie and welcome....MiMi in NC...sorry that you are dealing with so much right now....FM is a very ugly and mean illness...and sometimes we FMers have multiple health issues going on...Chronic fatigue is something which a lot of us experience and to be quite honest with you....I have not found anything which has helped mine...the weird thing is that some days are better than others...and I can NOT pin point why or how.

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is really important for a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I am sure that you will soon find a combination of tools and tips that will help you cope better. It does take a trial and error process though which does take time and effort. You should also know that since we are all different...what works for one person may or may not help you...only you will know when you have found what works for you.

I would like to say that the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...is a real illness and it does alter our lives greatly...will you ever be 100 % painfree? I doubt it...but you should and will find things that you can do to help you cope better.

Be thankful that you have a dad that is willing to help you out. I would suggest that you find a doctor who treats FM....as there are some doctors who do not even believe that FM is a real illness...(they are a bit behind in time).

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. It took me a very long time to figure out just what my body needed. There are no quick fixes though. anything you decide to try you should allow at least 6-8 weeks (unless you are getting worse) before you make a decision as to whether or not what you are doing is actually working for you. It takes this long to get the *full potential* of whatever you are doing to work.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is really important for those of us who face the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, each day.

Getting enough sleep is also important...keeping ourselves on a schedule of sorts also helps me...drinking plenty of water and eating right is also important...doing gentle exercises or stretches also is important...we must continue to move....whether we feel up to it or not...we have to keep our muscles from getting stiff.

I am sure others will chime in here to give you some valuable info.

Hang in here with us...I am sure that you will soon learn how to cope better.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.