Skip to content
Slaying the Dragon
pocotaz posted:

How do we slay the dragon .... well i know it's not such an easy task but i feel to slay him alone may be a tougher fight than to have others, like me with illnesses, to do that job together.....

When the stresses of life...divorces...family issues...financial concerns ...loss of loved ones ect....that dragon rears his ugly head and starts to breath his fire upon our bodies.....

Turning to others does not make one weak...but may provide strength to get through just one more day...that friend can help us see things differently.....can hold our hand and offer a shoulder to cry upon...

I have found many here that have done just that for me..and i have never felt alone because of this...realizing just how important community means when ill.......

Learning not to be angry at those who will never understand my pain has helped a great deal in fighting this dragon...but being accepting of my limitations comes easier today than yesterday...each day i learn to accept what i CAN do...and to be o.k. with that....

Of course i am human so having a set back now and again about my self worth since FM will pop up...but my mind and heart fights because i know i am one of the lucky ones....i am alive....and i have a home and people all around who love me.....grateful...so turning to positive thoughts is easier .....

Being alone is a choice people make...i have walked that path...a long time ago and realized that path i was walking was very dark...why would i chose such a dark path ? Seeing now where i was headed and how far i've come i know it's because i reached out to loved ones....

We have choices...all of us do...we do not have to be alone or feel alone because we are not alone...

I often think about those who can't seem to "get it" and now understand that they won't...would i if it were not me ? Would i be the same as those who don't believe...most likely i would...does that make me a bad person....i don't think so....but what woulld make me disfferent is having compassion for their illnesses....not pity...respect for them as a person ...

Slaying the dragon takes effort..but it takes more effort if you chose to do it alone....i often see posts here that offer psotive thoughts and it touches me deeply...an offering to help lift another is our worth...not what we can physically do but what our hearts hold inside....

I have read so many posts here that make me sad to see just how you feel about yourself...living in the past and fighting to get back to where you were beore FM or what other illness(s)...you may have...

Living in the now and reaching out to others is how you can slay that dragon....i know how helping another makes my heart and spirit come alive...so i t does that for you....

Will doing for another make your everyday life change...no...but what it does change is how you feel inside about your value here on this earth....

Every single one of us has value...every single one of us needs to be here...hard to undewrstand that concept if you hurt as bad as the pain can be....level 10 plus pain can grab hold and make you angry...sad...depressed...

When feeling that level of pain...i stop...give myself a break and say...it's o.k. to need time for me...until the pain eases...that's how i slay the dragon...by accepting i have limitations...not dwelling on the whys of not being who i was before FM hit me....i hit back..my choice....our choices.....

I ignore any negative comment someone who doesn't understand what i feel because ...after all...i understand i might be just like them if i were not ill myself....not forgiveness as forgivenss is not needed in that situation...but understanding of why they don't believe....

Step by step...day by day...positive thoughts and being here for others is how we slay that dragon...every day is a new day...we are alive...some many have lost so much ...i have so much more...that's how slayng the dragon works...to push forward never giving up...never letting the dragon win.....

It's o.k. to be mad...when the pain is high ...it hurts lke hell...so rest and wait till it's manageable...be o.k. with that....be o.k. with who you are...because it is part of you...but it doesn't DEFINE you...another choice we make....when you cry because you can't seem to take it anymore...rest ...but don't alow that dragon to grip your ankles and pull you down with him into his cave....

Reach out...you are not weak...none of us are...look at what we have to endure...we are stronger because of that ...let go of your need to be who you once were...it will not come...embrace what you need out of life for the now...and make it work for you...live around it...and accept it...for if we can't then others won't....

No one ever wants to be sick...so we are no different...but i have seen people live their life without limbs ..because they made a choice...our likmbs hurt..but slaying the dargon means finding self worth and reaching out to others...he will never win if we do just that...

Today..lets slay that dragon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOGETHER....i love you all...and i thank you all for helping me grow...
2 "}'>Like

fibroinsd responded:
nicely said, Linda ! Thanks..cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

rudyandirmouse responded:
Beautifully said. Gentle hugs, Linda R

booch007 responded:
I really enjoyed reading that, it is the plan* in a nut shell.

Support is just what it says. Holding you up when nothing else will....I see that the toolbox you have built is a good one, one to function with and carve a life.

Life is ups and downs even without our buddy here....

There isn't a morning that arrives that I don't know I live with and try to dance with this dragon. Pain is a great motivator and it can go two ways...to close down or to be motivated to figure out a new road to walk,

Most here have new roads and fair well. It is so challenging to live with, but can be done. A strong bunch we are. I really feel strong about when you help another you lift yourself......good chemistry**. Good stuff* FREE**

Thanks for the post it was really well spoken and I can sense from the heart. Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
467 of 542 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.