Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Diagnosis - Relieved to put a Name to all the Symptoms, Not happy dealing with them
An_251086 posted:
Hello. Recently diagnosed with condition. Never felt such intense pyramid of symptoms! Concerned with side effects of medication. Quite perplexed how someone can be so tired after a night's rest. And sore! Very sore.

Cormacbolano responded:
I'm sorry you have fibro. Over time, you will adapt your life and understand what your body is telling you and things will be more in control. You learn to avoid flare-ups (sometimes).

If, after trying a new drug for 2 weeks, the side effects are worse than any relief the drug offers, then it's time to try a different drug. Most people use a combination of drugs to get relief.

For instance, I take low dose methodone (opioid) with baclofen (a muscle relaxant) and have been doing so for years now without having to increase my dose.

I hope you are taking something for sleep if you need it. Most do. I'm taking trazodone and clonazepam (low doses of each) and they work well for me. But everyone has a different physiology regarding drugs. You need to find what works for you. Fibronet news, run by Kristin Thorsen has a medication brochure that lists all the likely drugs for fibro.

Rest, stretching and gentle walking, relaxing activities that give you pleasure, eliminating stress (as much as you can), communication with loved ones, all of these are part of a coping plan. Hope this helps...a little.....

TeeLee replied to Cormacbolano's response:
Thank you for taking time to reply.
My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer for me. I feel loopy and I am walking on rubber legs. I cannot concentrate on anything and have forbidden myself from leaving the couch.
I appreciate the encouragement. I hope to find the right combination soon. The pain is unbearable. I cannot sit for more then 15 minutes. I have experienced body aches before. However not both sides of the body at once. There are times laying flat on my back brings temporary relief.
Have you found any specific relief for the pain/flare up across the shoulders/neck?
Again, thank you for taking time to correspond with me. I appreciate it. It is mentally comforting to know that I am not alone in how I feel.

Alwayshurting replied to TeeLee's response:
I've been taking muscle relaxers for years. I take them when I go to bed at night. They help me relax enough to fall asleep and the side effects are gone by morning. If I'm really sore I take two. I know they work because if I don't take them for a few days my pain intensifies. Try it, maybe that is the answer.

xperky replied to TeeLee's response:
TeeLee, for the shoulders/neck I find relief using a ThermaCare patch. It lasts for over 8 hours and provides a soothing heat without being attached to a wall plug.
With Compassion,
Margaret

BetteK responded:
An,

Remember to take warm showers morning and night. Or try a tub bath when you have time. I take 2 hand towels into the tub with me and alternate them on my back and neck. When one gets cool, I replace it with the other one.

You'll soon find what works for you. Don't forget to check out the tips over on the lower right here. We all learn from each
other.

Towards better days,

BetteK

booch007 responded:
Goo dmorning.

The biggest part is done......I cried when I found my Champion Physician who figured out "what the heck" was happeneing to me!!

But sadly now you enter the trial and error part of the process and it can be long and frustrating.

We are never painfree.anon251086......

Please don't look for that. I was told a long time ago..Nan you would need anesthesia...he was right!

To the right, look in resources for the Members toolbox There is alot of help there......and I always recommed the book : FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain, a survival manual by Dr Devin Starlanyl. 19.99 on amazon.com....

I use so many tools to be the best i can be, you will learn about you during this process. Good to make a journal to track what is a trigger for you and what helps.

We love our heating pads....we love capsacian creams....
This is the begining and we are here to help make the passage faster and know that you are NOT ALONE.

Come and post often, join in and don't be anonymous...give us a bit about you...I am glad you found this site, I was about 3 years in trouble BIG by the time I wa told to look into a support group. So good move on your part.

Getting educated and seeing we are all different "just a bit" is what makes this challenging. You need to find what works for you.
I am a Soma, tramadol savella girl, with Vit D, Mg, B Complex, CoQ10 girl............works for me*...oh and my triggerpoint injections every 2 weeks.

I work full time and PLUS right now. A body in motion stays in motion (the commercial is right!). Stretching and movement mean the world to me. Good luck on this path..........

Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.