Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why does FM have to steal our good days?
BetteK posted:
Here we have younger son home for 2 week visit and I am miserable. Spent Saturday and Sunday in bed with backache. Really should be in bed now but had to put my 2 cents in here.

Remember the day when you finally got a diagnosis? When you actually had a name for all the things wrong with your body. What a wonderful feeling. Now you could just read up on this disease, take a few pills, and everything would be fine.

And here you are X number of months or years later. You've read any number of books. You've forgotten the names of all the pills. And you still have days when you can't do anything worthwhile.

There are meds to kill the pain, but often they also blunt YOU. You go through days and weeks without really enjoying anything because your pills have kept you from feeling pain and joy and happiness and life.

It just seems that it's been an awfully long time since fibromyalgia had a name, a description, a list of symptoms, and no real treatment that actually works for most of us. If Lyrica were the answer, there wouldn't be any Cymbalta. If oxycontin were the answer, there wouldn't be any methadone.

There are so many of us. We are a huge market. It's incredible that the big money pharmaceuticals haven't figured this out yet. We must be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to them. You'd think they'd have come up with a solution by now.

In the meantime, thanks for letting me blow off some steam. I don't mind spending most days in bed, but it hurts to spend the few days I have with my son stuck on my back.

BetteK

dollbug responded:
Hello BetteK....sorry that you are not feeling better. Perhaps you overdid getting ready for your son's visit?
Or perhaps you are just stressed over him being there. Our bodies do react to lots of things differently.

Staying in one spot for me does more harm than good. I hope you will feel better soon and will be able to enjoy your time with your son.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

HealthyD responded:
Try reading this! Also the more you go without sleep the worse it gets! You have to sleep to help compensate. So try chammomile or other relaxing tea just before bed you have to try to get at least 8 hrs of sleep or it'll wear you down. There's something else at the health food stores as far as teas can't think of name starts with a "V" i think it smells bad though I tried with peppermint and it's better smelling. Warm baths help too just before bed.
And change your diet, please read:
http://www.fibromyalgia-support.net/articles/whatdoctors.htm

BetteK replied to HealthyD's response:
Thank you, MiMi and HealthyD,

I needed both of your comments. I try to be upbeat, but there are are just times when it is so hard.

MiMi's right, I should get up and do more. It's just that the back pain has increased so much that the only comfortable place to be is in bed.

HealthyD's right too, I do have to get more sleep. I have tried the cammomile tea, valerian root, and melatonin. None of them make a dent in the insomnia. Ambien works if I am careful to only use it once or twice a month. If I use it more ofthen, it stops working. So I save it for when I've gone too many nights with little or no sleep.

I read a lot. At night, I re-read old favorites. It is something I can do without disturbing my husband. If my eyes get droopy, I just put the book down and go to sleep; I don't have to stay awake till the end of a TV program. I do tape shows I want to watch am afraid will interfere with sleep. Then I watch them during the day.

BetteK

smann68 replied to BetteK's response:
Hi BetteK,

I don't write here much but I just wanted to say how much I empathize with you. I too don't get to see my son as much as I would like and too many times I don't feel good when he's here! It stinks to say the least. We are robbed of a good life, that's for sure.

I take trazadone to help me sleep.

susan

BetteK replied to smann68's response:

Susan,

I'm so glad that the trazadone helps you. That's one of the meds I tried many years ago. Anything that is at all like an antidepressant make my bladder decide to clamp up and not empty.

I'll take a bedtime dose, sleep through the night--horay, horay-- and then wake up with a bladder that doesn't empty. Sometime in the late afternoon or evening, I brake down and go to the ER to get catheterized. Needless to say, there is never a second night of blissful sleep.

This is something that seems to be mine alone. It's not listed on the brochures that come tucked in with the meds. Not even as one of those things that effect less than 1% of users.

I'm so glad that there are meds like trazadone and that so many people are helped by them.

I'm just scared that when the "definitive treatment for FM comes around, I won't be able to use it.

Towards better days for all of us,

BetteK

smann68 replied to BetteK's response:
Hi BetteK,

Would you be interested in taking the trazadone and a medicine to help your bladder along with it.

I take detrol LA which is for overactive bladder. That may not be the thing for you but if you're interested you could see your ob/gyn and talk to them about it. Just a thought.

I really hope you can get this figured out.

Susan

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.