Skip to content
Drug sensitivity and compounding pharmacist
crystalgreeneyes posted:
I have talked here about my sensitivity to medications, certain foods and other chemicals. Pain meds that have increased my pain, others that cause nausea, dizziness, headache and so on. I kept bringing up this issue with my dr. but without making any progress. Recently I spoke to an acquaintance (in health care) who told me that people are necessarily sensitive to the actual drug but specifically the additional components that are added in there, such as fillers and other chemicals for colour etc.
She suggested that I visit a compounding pharmacist where he/she will modify the drug to a level that is more tolerable for a particular patient. I have only had this reaction to drugs since being diagnosed with fibro. Vit D makes me feel extremely nauseated so I stopped taking it although I am aware of it's benefits for those with this condition. I have read about people here who have this problem as well. This may be a solution for you and is certainly something I am going to look into. Fortunately, there is a pharmacy like this in my area. My best wishes to everyone who is struggling with the many debilitating effects of FM

lb707 responded:
I have always been very sensitive to meds, supplements and many foods.

One thing that helps is smaller a small dose rather than the normal dose, almost homeopathic. I seem to well with white pills LOL some people seem to think me crazy, but less dye.
We use to have a compounding pharmacy across town as I have limited my meds drastically as well as supplements that cause trouble, I will be checking on that today.

I use to take cyclobenzaprine at night and started having problems. I realized from the 10mil to the 5mil and DH RX for same thing they were all different colors. The pharmacy did tell me same med different fillers?! I will look into that, thanks

BetteK responded:
Crystal,

I've been tempted to try a compounding pharmacy, since I know I am sensitive to at least one colorant (FDC yellow # 10).

As consumers, we are always at the mercy of suppliers' honesty--or lack therof. As those poor people who contracted a fungal infection from compounded spinal medications from that compounding pharmacy in New England found out, not all facilities are alike.

When we buy something from Phizer, or Johnson and Johnson, or Eli Lily; we take a chance that the corporate giant is at least maintaining a sterile facility. It's the same with a small, local, mom and pop compounding pharmacy. Sometimes something goes wrong. It is always the patient/consumer who pays.

I know that there are plenty of people who go by, "I take the little red pill before breakfast and the large yellow capsule at noon." They don't even know the names of their meds. But they take the right ones at the right times because of the manufacturers' decision to add dyes, or to change the shape, or to add a capsule covering. And so, those of us who would benefit from drug X in it's pure form cannot use it.

Hopefully, manufacturers will learn that it is possible to market both versions of their products, the pure and the distinct.

(When I was going through menopause, I was prescribed an estrogen-containing lubricant. You wouldn't believe how miserable I was because of some stupid "inert" ingredient in that product! Why they added it to their formula is beyond me, but it sure made my life hell on earth for 3 weeks until it cleared up.)

BetteK

booch007 responded:
Crystal,

Good POST!

The problem with them is they are expensive, so you have to weight the benefit for yourself.
I have a link to a gluten free pharmacy as some meds if I react with diarrhea....have gluten (wheat) as a filler. I also can look the med up on there site to see if it is made by them an preplan I might have trouble.

We are all at a disadvantage when you you become MCS...multiple chemical sensitve....This is not* in my eyes a disease you do without meds for help.

So...KUDDOS on the post. It just may help a few here to be the best they can be. Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.