Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
One more birthday
BetteK posted:
MiMi,

My younger son will be 41 Friday. One more for our lists. I'm baking him the cake of his choice tomorrow. Then we will go to the Chineese buffet for dinner.

It's hard to believe he's been home for almost a week and has to be back at his group home by the 8th. (They have to spend 21 nights in the home each month, or the place doesn't get paid. Stupid, stupid rules. Psych patients are always in and out of the hospital. The homes--which are well-run and staffed by caring professionals--get short-changed all the time.)

I don't know what's going right, but I'm doing much better now. Actually got a few hours' sleep three nights in a row. Pain's at a level 3 or 4--really good for me. Maybe those nerve blocks finally kicked in three weeks late.

Thank you all for letting me gripe, moan, and generally spread the gloom last week. Without you folks, it never would have happened, and I would have held it all inside.

Maybe that's why I feel better now.

BetteK

Take the Poll

Does venting help you get over a flare?
  • Never
  • Sometimes
  • Always
  • I never tried it.
vote
View Poll Results

dollbug responded:
Hello BetteK....and Happy Birthday to your son. We grilled some steaks for my son's birthday and had a nice salad and baked potato with it. I also got some strawberries and cake for dessert.

I am going to fix hamburgers and hot dogs tomorrow for lunch and get a birthday cake so that our granddaughter can help celebrate her dad's birthday as well. I do know though that she does not eat cake. (I bought a cake for her first visit and she was either too excited to eat any OR she does not like cake).

Her time has been so short, only 4 hours....with 1 hour in travel, so it is actually only 3....but she will soon have 10 hours which will make a BIG difference for everyone. In May she will then have every other week-end which will be great. She wants to go see where her dad lives and since will be able to do so in April on her first visit. He has had her bedroom furniture for some time and I have clothes that will go into her closet. I also have books and stuffed animals and other things which I have gotten over the 3 years that we were NOT allowed to see her. I am sure she will be happy when she sees her room. She has a bunk bed under a full size bed and then there is also another trundle bed (which is hidden under the full size bed). So she has room for her cousins to spend the night, if they want to.

She is a tom boy and likes sports so her dad is going to try to fix her a place for a basketball goal....I hope we can also get her a bicycle as well and a helmet. Her dad use to ride her when she was little. She has moved so much in the past few years that I am sure she had not been able to do things outside like she should.

I hope your son had a good birthday and I hope that you all enjoyed the dinner and cake as well.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

BetteK replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi,

What a wonderful celebration you planned and presented to your family. I'm sure that they all appreciated the trouble you went through.

I would sure appreciate some grilling weather. Friday got up to the high 30's. Saturday will be both sunny and mid 40's. It seems like we haven't had a sunny day in months.

Because we were going out to dinner, I went all out and made my son's--and the whole family's--favorite cake, a white cake with Jello poked through it and cool whip for frosting. Nobody cares that I start with a cake mix; they just love the results.
For Christmas, I use strawberry Jello for one layer and lime for the other. Even though I've done this for 20 or so years, I still get oohs and ahhs when the cake is cut. And everyone wants seconds--even right after the Chineese buffet tonight.

Hubby killed one of his turkeys today for Easter Dinner. We haven't weighed it dressed, but it was 30 lbs. live. I just hope Thomasina (yes it was a hen) fits into the oven. And, oh, at 20 minutes per pound, a 30 lb. bird would take 10 hours in the oven. I really wanted one of those spiral hams and baked potatoes--no spuds to mash or gravy to make at the last minute.

And this is life on the farm in SW NY.

BetteK

booch007 responded:
Bette:

That is what this board is all about and maybe it too has helped you to be in this GOOD PLACE that you are in.....

Take it when you get it!! And enjoy it!!!!

Happy Birthday to your son, it is true that psychiatry and its satellite facilities are so short changed...you think WE have a stigma(FM)....they are in the shadows....and there is such a need.
. This has been forever....itis so sad.

I won't get on my box, but we pay MILLIONS to basketball and Baseball players that PLAY WITH BALLS...yet we don't care for the sick and infirm......

Mother Statue of Liberty would be sad if she were live......

Well, glad you are sleeping a bit and having a LOW PAIN moment *...Keep it up! Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.