Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
nightime pain
Denimblu posted:
I find that I am in more pain when I am trying to fall asleep, I don't have good insurance and often can't afford trips to the Dr. I do have my first appointment in mid April. What is the bast thing to do for the pain, its in my legs mostly but sore in arms and back as well... I dont have pain meds just over the counter and heating pads only relax a lil... Please anything will help. One thing for sure, I am in constant prayer...if the Good Lord wants me here I need to learn to embrace this pain!!

BetteK responded:
Denimblu, first you have to manage as much of the pain as possible, then you can figure out how to "embrace" whatever pain is left.

It is important that you let your doctor know just how much your pain is effecting you and when it is effecting you. No one can help when they don't know what the problem is.

A lot--but not all--of pain in your legs and back comes from something pressing on the sciatic nerve. It could be arthritic changes in the bones of the spine itself. It could be tense FM muscles (like the large pear-shaped piriformis that sits right on top of the sciatic nerve) that spasm and squeeze on the nerve. There are gentle stretches that can ease piriformis muscles.

Another problem that a lot of us FMers have is Restless Leg Syndrome. This is something that you notice especially at night. Your legs cannot get comfortable, so they move around and keep you from settling in for sleep. There are several drugs out that can treat restless leg syndrome. I'm not really up on this, but I think they are too new to be out of patent and available in cheaper, generic versions.

I have trouble sleeping at night. "Luckily," since I "retired" on disability, I have the option of finally dropping off to sleep around 6 a.m. and catching a few hours of sleep. I have found that if I can sneak an evening soak in the tub into our one-bathroom madhouse I am much more relaxed and able to sleep at night. If a soak won't work for you, be sure to get a quick, warm shower morning and night. The shower is a great place to shrug your shoulders and gently wiggle your back but a terribly dangerous place to exercise your lower body.

Many of the first meds a doctor might decide to try for you are now available in generic versions. Make sure your doctor is aware of your finances, he has a whole lot of choices in his bag of tricks. I am sure that you will find some that help you get a better night's sleep, wake rested, and have less painful days and nights.

Towards better days,

BetteK

Denimblu responded:
So is there anyway of beating this disease with out meds?? And my bottom really hurts, I guess I am A little well... freaked out by all of this. I am young and have an eight year old and a sixteen year old. Last summer I was wearing them out, this year the closer we get to the summer, the more I am having pain. I feel like I could quickly become depressed, and am feeling guilty and bad about not having the energy, drive and the desire to be up and out. I start off good in the mornings, most of the time. The more I am up and walking the worse I feel I want to do things with them but know that buy the end of the day, or half way through I will regret it! I have found that hot baths and showers work pretty well. Does every person have more of a pain area than others...my legs, and bottom are the worse!

BetteK replied to Denimblu's response:
That REALLY sounds like sciatica. Here's a gentle stretch that may help.

Sit up on the floor or in a firm bed with both legs straight in front of you. Bend the right knee up and gently cross that right leg over your straight left leg just above the left knee.

Now gently use your right hand push the bent knee just a little towards the left. Do you feel a gentle tug in your butt? Now try the other side.

This also works on a FIRM bench or wide chair with the leg you're not stretching just bent in normal sitting position. I use the floor because you can't fall off the floor!

If you do not feel any new, extra pain by tomorrow, do 2 stretches on each side and hold the stretch for 20 seconds. Every day add 1 or 2 more stretches. Work up to 20 on each side. Do not do this or any exercise or stretch if it causes pain. I was taught this very gentle stretch in aquatic physical therapy.

People with fibro are not like other people. Just a little too much can cause a flare up. Never let anyone--not your doctor, not your physical therapist, not anyone--make you "go for the burn" or do anything that hurts while you're doing it just once. Remember, tomorrow it will hurt 10 X as much.

Physical therapy costs money. There is a cheaper option. Try to find a warm water exercise class in your area. You can get an aerobic workout with practically no pain--even the next day. Sometimes they are held at the "Y" or in a local school's pool. Check it out.

I am sure that you will find ways to make your life more liveable. You may not be pain free. You my still have some fatigue. But it will be much more manageable.

Towards better days,

BetteK

rosielou replied to Denimblu's response:
Hi Denimblu (good name there!) That kind of pain could be from a number of sources, and maybe more than one at the same time. In my case it is bad SI joints plus some damaged lumbar disks, standing and walking make it a lot worse. So my joints get going which sets off the FM hip to hip across the lower back w/glutes and sometimes forward to the flexors. Ow!

Until you get to the doctor for your diagnosis, maybe try using pillows under your knees to take pressure off your lower back. You can google that and get some good info and images on how to place them to get some comfort. Have you tried lavender, valerian, or melatonin to help you get past the pain and sleep?

Those Thermacare stick on heat pads can be very nice, the neck size works all over the body. My thighs get very tight and sore, and I wrap those things around my upper leg, they work great!

I hope this helps a little. RL

dollbug responded:
Hello Denimblu and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are not feeling better. I am sure though that soon you will find something that will help you cope better....there are no quick fixes to the mean and ugly illness. I would like to encourage you to speak to your doctor about having your Vitamin D level and B level checked....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

There are ways to *control your pain without pain pills*....you just have to figure out what might work for you. I am sure your doctor will speak to you about what might help you cope better. Again I want to say....it takes a trial and error process to figure out just what might work for you....and this does take time and effort. A person should plan on 6-8 weeks before deciding to whether or not what they are doing is really helping them. Of course you do NOT want to continue doing something which is making you sicker than you have been. Be sure and update your doctor on any changes, if you are taking some sort of medicine....what works for one person may or may not work for you.

You might find keeping a journal of things can help you figure out what is going on with the pain you have. Journal your pain level and your activity as well as what you are eating and drinking and how it affects your level of pain. This just might help you decide if something is making it worse.

Doing gentle stretches might also help you. Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also a good thing. Do not overdo and try not to cross the line. Try to also keep your stress level down as much as possible.

Taking a hot shower at night right before bedtime using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain helps my body to relax so that I can sleep better. Sleep is so important to everyone.

If you are having problems with being comfortable perhaps you can use pillows or even look into getting a mattress topper for your bed.

Have you tried the Stopain Spray yet? You can get it at walmart for just under $8....it is good stuff.

Be sure and check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure to review the *member toolbox*...which might give you some good *tools* to try.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Denimblu replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you all for the advice. It is nice to have people to chat with about trying to figuire out what helps and what really may be going on.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.