Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medication For Nerve Pain
bpcookie posted:
Hello everyone, I don't have Fibromyalgia but I do have something called Vulva Lichen Simplex Chronicus and it effects my nerves in my lower area (woman area), buttocks and inner thighs. My Dr.s have been treating the nerve pain with Lyrica but Lyrica only worked for about 2 months, now it only takes the edge off the pain. I was also prescribed Gabbapentine and Amatryptaline but they did not work at all. I also have back pain and tail bone pain. So my Dr.s have been wanting to treat my symptoms, both woman pain and back pain, as if I had Fibromyalgia, although I don't have it. So my question is, what pain medications do you use for your Fibromyalgia?

I know that you guys suffer greatly daily from pain and I am so sorry for it. I suffer from daily pain as well and sometimes my pain levels are a 9. So I really need to come up with some other kinds of meds.

Thank you to all who reply.

dollbug responded:
Hello bpcookie and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are dealing with nerve issues also. I am one of the FMers here who tried different kinds of medicine in the beginning but found nothing which really helped me enough without causing side effects. So I ended up doing my own research and did a trial and error process to find what my body needs to cope better. You are correct....we FMers do suffer daily but some days are better than others.

I would encourage you to be sure and get your Vitamin D level checked, if you have not already done this. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people (it sure did for me) and according to the medical researchers low Vitamin D can also affect other illnesses as well.

The information that I have read is that pain medicines do not help us FMers that much. Pain medications are actually for short term issues....as I am sure you already know FM is a chronic illness.

I also have lower back pain issues also. The only thing I have found to help it is a heating pad....or Stopain Spray which only helps for a while.

I take the following vitamins and supplements: Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (found in vitamin stores) a good multi vitamin with extra D...(I take source one from walmart) Super B Complex, Omegas, (I take Salmon Oil) plus others....as I also have other health issues.

You should also check out the info under *tips* and *resources* as you might find some good *tools* there that you might want to try.

I am sure you will soon find something that will help you cope better. You indicate you also have tail bone pain.
I sit on a *gel pillow* which helps mine. I fell off of a horse when I was young and injured mine....which still gives me problems.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

bpcookie replied to dollbug's response:
Hello Dollbug, cute name. My Endo checks my Vitamin D lvl all the time. Twice I have been really really low. So now I take OTC vitamin D every day. I have a real poor diet, I don't usually eat during the day, only a dinner time. For some reason I just don't have an appetite. I blame it on Menopause. I'm sure all my vitamin levels are low.

I've been using a heating pad daily for 6 years for back pain. For my woman pain, I sit on an ice pack. So I have heat on my back and cold on my woman spot. My body is totally confused. hehe.

So you sit on a *gel pillow*? Where did you buy it? It sounds wonderful, except one thing, I can't have pressure against my woman area. If I could find a gel pillow that had a hole in the front, that would be fabulous.

I fell on my tail bone when I was rollerskating when I was 13 yrs old. You hurt yours falling off a horse eh? I fell off a horse one too. The stirrups were way too long and so were the reigns. I was riding a Quarter Horse and running it as fast as it would go. All of a sudden there was a bobbed wire fence, I tried to pull up on the reigns but they were to long, it was way too late anyways, the horse put on the breaks and I went flying over its head and landed right on my butt. Ya know the saying "go pound sand"? Well, I did. I had sand in every little place on me. LOL Anyway, sorry about the horse story. I used to own horses and I miss them terribly. ok, so blah blah blah. Im just blubbering now. Please excuse me.

Thank you for the help. You seem like a very kind and caring person. You remind me of Chrissy the moderator, she has fibro. I miss her. Anyways, thanks for everything. I'm going to start taking a multi vitamin for sure. I will look for source one.

gentle hugs to you.

dollbug replied to bpcookie's response:
Hello again....I wanted to tell you that I got the pillows at SAM'S...do not know where you live or IF there is a SAM'S in your area....it is Serta Brand though.

Most of us FMers have low Vitamin D and if you research it you will find some quite interesting information about Vitamin D. It is also very hard to keep the level within the *normal range* when it gets too low. It took me over a year and my level was only 12 or 14....can't ever remember which. My daughter does not have FM but she did have chronic pain after being in a car accident. Her level was 2 when it was checked and she had gained a lot of weight and could not figure out why. Once she got her level within the normal range, she lost all of the weight that she had gained.

Thanks for sharing your horse story. I had a friend who had horses and she and I use to ride....that is until I fell. After my accident I did not care to ride them again. I really had a bad fall. But I also loved to ride them myself.

I guess you were referring to Caprice who was the moderator on this FM support board. I think we all miss her as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

BetteK responded:
Cookie,

Hi, Bette in western NY. I had that bladder neck suspension surgery back in 1996. Life has not been the same since. I don't empty my bladder every time I cough any more, and for that I am eternally grateful. However, sitting--except on LOTS of foam cushioning is really uncomfortable. I feel bruised, if that makes any sense.

Believe me, MiMi's right about the pain meds. I've had FM since my 2nd pregnancy way back in 1972. There have been a lot of meds through my body. None of them worked. Sure, opioids can take some of the pain away. You just don't feel safe driving. Or balancing your checkbook. Or picking up a baby. You don't feel that your brain is really there.

Have you tried things like relaxation therapy? Meditation? Accupuncture? I had some great relief with accupunture up until the provider used my scalp for a treatment site. My scalp was sensitized. It hurt to comb, brush, shampoo. It took 3 years post accupuncture to go away. If I could, I would reschedule more accupuncture and just not have him mess with my scalp.

The point is that there are other things out there that do work. Vitamin D is one. Some meds work for some of us. Just keep an open mind, and don't give up. Find your special pillow. Try some of the other complementary therapies. And work with your doctor. Other drugs or combinations of drugs could help you. Sometimes it just takes a lot of trial and error to find the right combination for you and your pain.

BetteK

Anon_10089 responded:
The meds you have already tried are often the first ones given to people with FM.

I agree with the others that finding a good combination of nutrition, vitamins, etc. is very helpful. I am one, however, that does use pain meds, including Norco and Tramadol. I also take a low dose of nortriptyline, which I believe is in the same class of amatryptiline.

For me, the pain meds are helpful and they actually give me fewer side effects than other meds. But they are problematic because your body will build up a tolerance, then you'll need more, then tolerance, then more. That's the main issue with using pain meds for chronic pain.

With any chronic pain condition, treatment really begins with ourselves and usually involves our entire lifestyle-- diet, exercise, pacing, stress control, meds, etc. And with FM and probably your issues, treatments don't always work right away. When it comes to vitamins, supplements, dietary changes, the good changes can come slowly.

This board is also a great source for information and support!

xperky responded:
If you have an area of nerve pain that could take a patch I recommend Lidoderm patches. They numb the area for 12 hours. They are prescription and usually expensive, but they really work for my pain.

Sorry you are so uncomfortable.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.