Skip to content
Fibromyalgia Screening
RokkitWoman posted:
Hello I'm new to the community and I believe I just received a diagnosis. My rheumatologist wants me to start Savella, Cymbalta, Neurontin. He was not very clear and I left a bit confused. He said he wants me to start meds immediately upon my next PCP visit. I am on a lot of other medications for a lot of other conditions and he said he wanted to make sure I was given the proper care. He said that if after these have been implemented he would be glad to see me any time me and my doctor deemed necessary. Is anyone else confused? I'm glad I see my doc tomorrow and can hear the report. Any info on these drugs would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

missist responded:
Hi RokkitWoman! I'm fairly new to the forum here but have had fibro for almost 30 years. I just started a few new RXs too--I'm sort of surprised they do this-- just sort of throw a bunch of stuff at you all at once, but that seems to be what my new dr wants to do too.

Anyhow I do have the Neurontin-- gabapentin too. My dr explained that my central nervous system has become sensitized and this will work on the nerve roots to calm them down I guess. This is the new research (which its about time they start to research!) I am also taking some other Rxs for blood pressure and pain & allergy/asthma--

for pain I take Celexa which is an NSAID and it does help me a lot, Maybe cuz I have overlapping pain issues? I don't know they say Nsaids aren't helpful for fibro--but I've ALWAYS found they are--IF-- you get a reasonably useful dose.

also I take amitriptilene for nerve pain too & celexa to boost serotonin- which is supposed to be low in chronic pain patients so they get depressed--which I do.

I think the meds I prefer are 'older RXs' that are proven and cheap. Cymbalta I think is going to cost you a pretty penny-- you might ask for a different one there. Although I do pay over $100 a month for my Celebrex--and I find that worth it. Except for that one--I'm on mostly old, proven safe-ish drugs.

You can find lots of info on all those drugs with google searches. Probably people here using them too.

And welcome!

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC. Sorry that you are dealing with so much right now. I wanted to say that if I were you I would be really careful on starting more than one medicine at the time. Taking multiple ones you might not be able to tell which one is helping and which one is not working for you. I do not know why the doctor would want you to start all of them at the same time.

As for the Cymbalta I tried it and could not take it. The Gabapentin I took for a short time. I encountered problems with my vision. I have not tried the Savella, nor do I care to. We do have members here who take it and have gotten good results from doing so. If I were you I would research each of them first before deciding to take them. I would also be sure and check with your doctor about it as well.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level.

Remember also that it takes at least 6-8 weeks before you should decide if what you are doing is actually helping you, unless of course, you are getting sicker.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

vicki68 responded:
Hi there
I would be a little concerned about taking too many meds at one time. If you have side effects, you wouldn't know which med was causing it. I have tried Cymbalta and every NSAID out there.. neither worked for me. Right now, I'm taking nada lol.. Good luck, and soft hugs.

Vicki

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.