Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dizziness
ggladieux posted:
Has anyone experienced dizziness along with fibromyalgia or chronic migraines?

squarley responded:
YES ITS VERY COMMON TO HAVE DIZZINESS WITH FM AND I ALL WAYS GET DIZZY WITH MY MIGRAINES IF YOU LOOK UP SYMPTOMS ON BOTH I FOUND DIZZINESS TO BE INCLUDED, I TAKE XANX WHEN I GET BAD IT CAUSES A LOT OF ANXIETY BECAUSE IT SCARY WHEN YOUR DIZZY, I HOPE THIS HELPS, I HAVE A MIGRAINE NOW AND SICK AND DIZZY JUST TOOK MY XANX WAITING FOR IT TO HELP MY EYES HURT TO, I AM HERE IF YOU NEED ME , HUGS VERY SOFT ONES , SHIRLEY

NeNe_11 responded:
Yes to the dizziness. I suffer from chronic migraines fibro & am dizzy at some point everyday. I think the various meds this as well. My blood sugar drops & I get hot, cole, clammy & shaky as well.

NickiDubs responded:
I have fibro but my dizziness is caused by Meniere's disease. I have heard its normal for Fibro also, especially as a side effect from all the medications we often take.
Here are some tips that help me, hopefully some will help you.
I avoid grocery store aisles, as they seem to trigger dizziness, according to the doctor this is common. In the mornings, I wake up very slowly and I sit up for about half an hour and read the news on my cell phone before I stand, otherwise the room spins. I avoid sugar and caffeine when possible, as I've noticed these are major triggers for me. I also try to never bend over in a fashion that points my head downward. In other words, squat instead of bend when possible.
Also, its very very important to stay hydrated. I know its oversaid and some of us think we are hydrated when we aren't, but its so easy to become dehydrated and it can bring on horrible battles of migraines, low blood pressure and dizziness. There is a medicine I take that is wonderful for dizziness but it makes me very drowsy. However, in some cases, its worth the trade. Its called meclizine, 12.5 mg and at times I can even take half a tablet. I'm still unable to drive while taking it though. I hope some of this helps. Sorry for the novel!

rudyandirmouse responded:
ggladiexu, I'm not sure if one were to google about fibro it would list balance or dizziness issues, so to answer your question from one point of view, mine, yes and yes again, one side of fibro is dizziness and migraines. With some here over the years I've read it's worse than with others. With me it's worse. Fibro is not a one size fits all set of medical conditions. But yes it most defenitly a part of having fibro.

When I got the fibro DX, about 35 years ago, I was having balance, ear and flu like issues. It was after I had gotten a DX concerning my ear and balance. I was always getting dizzy and feeling flu like. I was seen @ UCLA in California and spent 5 days, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. each day having tests done on my ears, throat, neck and brain. In the end a life changing DX of inoperable, no meds for it, can't treat the symptoms cause their going to be life long and " Oh by the way since you've got about 28 things going wrong we have no name for it. It's that rare. " So it was balance and ear issues that first alerted me that something bad was afoot with me. And that was the fibro dix a few years later.

And the things NickiDubs listed are wonderful ideas and ways to help stave off dizziness and balance issues. I hope they work for you. I do about the same with sugar, getting up slowly in the morning ( not just getting out of bed ) and I too use Meclzine, same dose. So perhaps you'd like to ask your PCP if that medication would wokk well for you.

Hope your feel better..

Gentle hugs, Linda R

missist replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
I have balance issues -- it has to do with muscles partly. I got better for a while when I was doing water exercises.

I have had a lot of dizzyness lately plus a loud buzz in my head--but after about a week and half with gabapentin and celexa it is just barely there now, just noticed it today. also less dizzy after I move around some. very dizzy when I get up in am.

Fibropooh responded:
Yes I get dizzyness often and i travel for aliving so it is difficult when I have these days as it is hard to explain and you just looks drunk or clumpsy. I also have these problems at night and have fallen so be careful when you wake up make sure you hav esomething to cling on to if you do feel dizzy.

dollbug responded:
Hello....MiMi in NC...I wanted to comment to you about your question. When I first got sick I, too, had problems with being dizzy....I actually fell twice and broke my wrists, (right one first and then left one)....bad and had to have surgery on both. I was outside when I fell. My dizziness started and I had noticed it before did not know what it was or why I had it...I have since had some issues off and on...but not like I did.

I will also tell you though that I no longer sleep on a bed....as I was having major pain issues when I laid down....and I was also having breathing issues. I have now been sleeping in a recliner since 2005. I have a Cat Napper recliner that I sleep on with pillows. Perhaps this is why I do not have as many issues with the dizziness as I did in the beginning, I really have no idea, just know though that mine are better.

I also wanted to mention to you that I had migraines until I had cervical (neck) surgery. I had these for years and sometimes mine would be so bad that I could not drive myself home from work as they affected my eyesight.

I noticed shortly after the surgery that I no longer had problems with the headaches.

I want to also add though that I have read that magnesium malate can help people with headaches and I do take this daily as well. So perhaps it is a combination of both.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

rosielou responded:
I started with migraines which grew to be pretty debilitating. I think they were my Fibro trigger with so accustomed to being in pain.

One of my migraine meds is a beta blocker which also lowers blood pressure, so now that side effect is dizziness. Are you also taking a BB for migraine?

RL

BetteK responded:
Ggladieux,

They thought my migranes with dizziness was myesthenia gravis; it wasn't. They thought it was inner ear; it wasn't. They thought it was postural hypotension; it wasn't. All of this testing and omitting took several years. And then my nurse practicioner asked to hold my glasses. What a practical person with common sense!

Getting LASEK treatments and throwing away the glasses fixed the migranes. The dizziness is much less evident, and the tips the others have suggested help with what is left. And, oh, I had double vision before and had to wear an eyepatch or a black contact lens. That's gone too.

Fibro is a disease of the central nervous system. We do not process things like pain, taste, smell, position, lights (in short the world around us) the way non-FMers do. Until there is a REAL treatment, we will all have to be as practical and common sensed as my NP and find reasonable ways to live our lives.

BetteK

jennagale76 responded:
Yes- dizziness all the time. It makes a sound in my head like, "wumwumwum" like Charlie Brown's teacher... I can't explain it. lol

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.