Skip to content
Help with Fibro Leg Pain and Swelling?
NickiDubs posted:
I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia after a car accident triggered leg pain that wouldn't subside. Over the past few months I've been taking Gabapentin and tramadol (ultram). I've tried a bit of restorative yoga but it seems to only provide relief for a short time, or transfer the leg pain to my back. It feels like my leg muscles won't relax or work. Its mostly my thighs and the bottom of my feet. Muscle relaxers do nothing and neither does naproxen. I'm limited to a short time of activity and then I have to lay stretched out for hours to compensate or I'm useless the next day.
I'm currently working and in the mornings, my pain is not so bad, but it seems that after about 3 p.m. it begins its daily course of becoming unbearable.
Does anyone have any tips for this? Also, my feet swell a good bit and I'm not able to wear any of the same socks I wore before. If anyone has tips on that, I'd really appreciate it. I elevate my legs and feet constantly and it doesn't seem to stop. I'm also on a diuretic for Meniere's disease which is well controlled, but it seems like this medicine would reduce swelling?
Thanks all!

missist responded:
I have some of your issues--- not sure its all fibro. I have high blood pressure and use a diuretic-and sometimes my feet/ankles swell. Also my mom had the same--but her feet would swell more--and partly it was caused by an accident-- her ankle had 10 pins in it and she continued to have problems with it the rest of her life. sometimes an accident can do lasting damage.

My fibro began-- I beleive-- with an accident where I used to work.

I am on gabapentin also for nerve issues--and also amitriptilene for nerve pain. There are so many ways the body and different problems interact--no telling really-- you may be a long time before this is figured out.

I do not work outside the house anymore. I am sort of frustrated myself today--I spent about 15 min. working on one spot of my yard today and was pretty much exhausted for the whole day--though I did manage a trip to a small grocery store, and another errand later in the day. And about 15 more min. of outside work this evening.

unfortunately-- fibromyalgia alone can make you feel useless for the day. The other issues you have no doubt are also contributing.

One thing-- watch your salt intake, and blood pressure--and perhaps you need a different diuretic. ?

Also put your feet up-- I do that in the afternoon usually around 3ish--and it helps.

Yoga also makes me feel better too--but only for a half an hour or so.Then its all about the same.

This is a very frustrating ailment and after many years I'm still frustrated. So sorry you have joined the club.

missist replied to missist's response:
Also--- if your pain is ONLY in your legs-- that is not a good criteria for calling it fibromyalgia. You may have a dr that is reaching for a diagnosis and decided to call it that.

fibro needs to have symptoms above and below the waste for at least a few months. I had it just about everywhere for 3 years before they named it.

just thought of that. perhaps some physical therapy and better pain control would help.

have you had an mri of your back? lumbar area?

sorry I talked about elevating legs.. I'm so sorry-I sometimes have to read things a few times as I have cognitive issues too. Still-- do you have symptoms in arms/shoulders/neck area? cuz this sounds so much like a possible disc problem in the lower back.

BetteK responded:
Have you tried those support panty hose? I know they are expensive, but they may just help.

What type of relationship do you have with your doctor? If it is good, spend the time to explain just what your day is like and just how long it takes to recover from any exertion. (My nurse practicioner took notice back when I described the two places where I would pull over, get out of the car, and stretch during my 1 hour drive to work. I don't think she realized how much my life was impacted by FM until that moment.)

It is possible that the diuretic in your meds is not working right for you. That would account for the swelling.

If you are just standing or sitting at work, why not try taking a short walk on your breaks? That could help send the fluid back up through your veins. The heart pumps arterial blood away and throughout your body. Muscle action in your arms and legs pumps it back. When I was still working, I used to take a 10 minute walk to and from the Pizza Hut for my salad lunch. It helped.

Hope some of this helps.

BetteK

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

Recheck the possible side effects for the gabapentin. I think I remember that water retention and/or swelling can be one of them. At least, people here have mentioned that side effect.

This may be something you want to check in with your doctor about. Many people with FM do experience swelling although the medical community says that it doesn't cause swelling in itself.

Hope you figure it out !

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.