Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Muscle Inflammation?
missist posted:
I was reading a 2012 study that used contrast dye MRI on fibromyalgia patients with hand problems. They apparently found what appeared to indicate non-arthritis inflammation of muscles in the hands and fingers of a select group of fibromyalgia patients. The end result was that they thought if this was studied further it might be a useful item for patients with fibromyalgia--in particular with hand involvement.

I'm curious about this because nothing is more difficult for me the past 4 years or so than my hands being now effected.

I'm also curious because I've had 2 nerve conductivity tests both were abnormal, on hands/arm--but the separate dr's interpreted results completely opposite each other. One said he believed my symptoms were stemming from my neck the other believed it was carpal tunnel.

I also know I have OA in my hands (and pretty much everywhere)

So also-- my best pain relief is celebrex or naproxen- which supposedly doesn't work on fibromyalgia as they say there is no inflammation involved. I have ALWAYS found it to help me-- for almost 30 years--however it had to be a sustained RX level of NSAID--not just an ibuprofen or 2-- but more like 4 of them every 4 hours.

Currently I take celebrex 2x a day and I would like to take it 3x--but need to talk to my dr next week first.

I am wondering if NSAIDS effect MUSCLE inflammation and maybe that is why it works for me?

Just curious--anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this?
thanks!
Oh--I also did have a muscle 'signal' test of some kind with last nerve test and the muscle test was normal--so again-- confusing. But it was not a muscle biopsy and it was on an area where I was not experiencing a flare or pain--which I think would matter.

thanks, Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.