Skip to content
Muscle Inflammation?
missist posted:
I was reading a 2012 study that used contrast dye MRI on fibromyalgia patients with hand problems. They apparently found what appeared to indicate non-arthritis inflammation of muscles in the hands and fingers of a select group of fibromyalgia patients. The end result was that they thought if this was studied further it might be a useful item for patients with fibromyalgia--in particular with hand involvement.

I'm curious about this because nothing is more difficult for me the past 4 years or so than my hands being now effected.

I'm also curious because I've had 2 nerve conductivity tests both were abnormal, on hands/arm--but the separate dr's interpreted results completely opposite each other. One said he believed my symptoms were stemming from my neck the other believed it was carpal tunnel.

I also know I have OA in my hands (and pretty much everywhere)

So also-- my best pain relief is celebrex or naproxen- which supposedly doesn't work on fibromyalgia as they say there is no inflammation involved. I have ALWAYS found it to help me-- for almost 30 years--however it had to be a sustained RX level of NSAID--not just an ibuprofen or 2-- but more like 4 of them every 4 hours.

Currently I take celebrex 2x a day and I would like to take it 3x--but need to talk to my dr next week first.

I am wondering if NSAIDS effect MUSCLE inflammation and maybe that is why it works for me?

Just curious--anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this?
thanks!
Oh--I also did have a muscle 'signal' test of some kind with last nerve test and the muscle test was normal--so again-- confusing. But it was not a muscle biopsy and it was on an area where I was not experiencing a flare or pain--which I think would matter.

thanks, Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello Mary....MiMi in NC....I wanted to tell you that my health issues started with my right hand....I worked for a loan servicing company for over 14 years and did lots of computer work. The doctors treated me with medicines and physical therapy and neither helped me. I ended up and had my first carpal tunnel surgery in 2004....after the surgery I ended up having thumb problems as well...I continued to work although I had to wear a wrist brace for some time. About a year later I began to have problems with my left hand as well. To make a long story short I ended up having 7 hand surgeries....2 of which was where I fell on separate occasions and broke both wrists.

What is so very strange is that it took surgery which required plates and pins that finally stopped my hand pain. I also had right elbow surgery too. And I have had cervical (neck) surgery as well as parathyroid surgery.

I will also say this that although doctors say that FM does not cause inflammation I think that I have had inflammation when I was having all of these issues going on with me. The neurosurgeon who did my elbow surgery said he had never seen one like mine...which he stated was very swollen and inflamed. He also told me that it would take over 2 years for it to completely heal....it took almost 2 1/2 years for the recovery and healing process.

I worried for some time that I was going to have the same issue with my left elbow as well. Off and on I would have issues with it. I started taking the Omegas though and I think that this is what helped me avoid surgery on the left elbow.

For many years I was taking the Ibuprofen 800 mg which did help with my pain. I no longer have to take them now on a regular schedule, just only when I have to.

I do think that I had both carpal tunnel and cervical (neck) issues as well. I also know that after the cervical surgery I no longer have the really bad headaches that I had for years.

I do hope that your doctor can figure out what is going on with you. I do know that we have to figure out the root of our problems and get it addressed before we can improve, or at least this is how it was with me.

I also take a joint supplement as well and I know that it helps me too.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

missist replied to dollbug's response:
thanks Mimi.
i think I may have slight carpal tunnel--but I just am not convinced that is the real problem with my hands. i know if I sleep wrong-- my neck which is getting fussier as time goes by-- will make more than my hands numb. I mean arms, shoulders, sometimes my face, belly! and legs/feet. So-- carpal tunnel might be a small part of this but it sure is not the big thing.

I guess I think its good to prolong surgery if you can---especially if you think you will end up with more surgeries. I can envision surgery on 2 o3 spots in my spine and eventually knees/hips. amazing mess.

I guess I'll be happy with being able to sustain the life I have now--but with a little less pain and more stability of strength physically and of mood & energy level.

We shall see.. Hope the course I'm on is a good one. I'm also hoping to get a hot tub soon. that would have been nice today. I'm so sore!

Wolfsong452 replied to dollbug's response:
well Mimi,

I know I have some inflammation due to OA, along with having my torn rotator cuff.

well, I've been having some swelling on the wrist actually above the wrist going toward the elbow. Doctor sent me for some text, that personally I thought was a joke. Something that looked like a thermomiter touching up and down my arm and shoulders.

Test came back negative. PCP doctor then sent me to a Nerologist, who listened to what I had to say, and asked, why did they send me there this was a muscle problem.

ok, went to the Ortho doctor, who took an x-ray of my hand, I told them and showed them exactly where. Duh, they should have been able to see it. Anyway, took the x-ray wrong, wasn't up far enough. Duh, just what I said.

In the mean time I went for PT and an evaluation. Which they said, they couldn't really due to me not responding to the therapy. They thought I had tendonitits, then what's called golfers arm, or pitchers arm, or maybe both. Maybe even a cyst under the skin where my arm is swollen.

Back to the PCP, this time I had a new doctor, hurray, anyway, sent me back for an x-ray of the forearm, not just the wrist. This came back negative.

now they say I need to go BACK to the ortho doctor. Sheesh,

I've been back and forth to the ortho doctor, the past 2 years, 3 times for my right knee, 2 times for my left knee. MRI on both. 4 times for my shoulder,

I asked them the last time why can't they just do an MRI of the whole body. Nope, they said I have to be here all day for that. Heck, it'd make everything easier!!!

Ok, on the 29th, I have an appt. again with the Ortho doctor for my left arm, it's really starting to hurt in the point part of the elbow, but also at the inside part of the wrist, where you'd wear a watch. Also, the ring finger, also the muscle part of the forearm, is all knotted up. Sheesh, by the time we find out what it is, we probably won't be able to fix it.

If they say therapy one more time I"m going to scream.
They gave me the darn forearm support braces that I hate wearing.

I keep telling them I could be sitting and reading a book, with one hand (the off hand that is normal) and my bad arm will start hurting badly.

they told me not to do as much with it.

heck,

I'm left handed, and that's the arm involved, but I'm quite able to do a whole lot of things write handed. So, how LESS can I do the left arm.

I am going to have to get the meniscus surgery on my right knee, it's hurting so bad, and there's probably arthritits in that knee.

I am going to have to plan a surgery also on my left knee, they're talking about total knee replacement. Though, I have to admit, the right one is the one that's unbearably painful.

Ortho doctor said if I could lose 50-100 pounds, then I probably won't need the surgery. They said they'd refer me to gastric bypass.

well; insurance won't cover it. Figures.

I feel my body is full of inflammation, they they've mad me quite taking ibroprofen. I'm to take an Advil, or Naproxene.

thrillng,

I can still take my Norco, but I only get 56 pills to last me the 8 weeks when I go back to pain management. HA!

that would work if I took only one norco a day. I am supposed to be able to to take 2 pills a day as needed.

ok, then what happens if I'm short on pills, and get some seroius pain again? nope, have to wait.

oh bother!

I'm wanting to take a joint supplement, but can't afford it right now. working on it, one month at a time.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I too respond well to motrin (though) it was my first helper...still use it. For me, my feelings are that my muscles which have trigger points in them create a tightened band of muscle over the nerves and it compresses them and also stresses circulation. This sets up an inflamatory response in there that the motrin helps.....it doesn't fix anything, just releases some of the swelling. This is why the hands are stiff and puffy in the morning.

The entrapment is the cause. When I get the triggerpoint injections to the anterior and posterior of the arm pit it is SO much better. My pinkies that were always so numb in the moning that they were limp and flopped around in the sockets they are fine now after years of this therapy.

I see a neurologist for my care. All because of the nerve entrapments. For you, you are mixed picture having the OA in there.

It is then left to "whatever works for you" and as long as you are aware of the water retention and bleeding risks being with them, it is great to have somehting that works.

I developed bleeding from all the motrin I was using so we switched to Tramadol and I use the motrin occasionally.

The book I like to share is called FM and Chonic Myofascial Pain , a survival manual. by Dr Devin Starlanyl. I find it so helpful with symptoms and helping care for myself.

I got it on Amazon.com 19.99 best money spent.

I too had many EMG's that were /- in helping diagnose or help me. When I was introduced to these neurologists I just knew I had hit the jack pot. Travelle and Simmons is their textbook that my issues are in (I bought that too)...for me knowledge was power.

Well, I hope today is a good day for you. All my best, NAncy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.