Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What have we created with the narcotics stigma in doctors and patients alike?
An_251579 posted:
I have cirrhosis of the liver caused by hep c and alchol ( I haven't had a drink in five years) I suffered a bleeding varices last June . I was told after extensive testing I wouldn't,t live for more than a year and half ,unless I got a transplant. I have had back surgery, ankle surgery etc earlier in my life. I have ab negative blood so the chances of of a transplant are slim to none. I have been through interferon and ribo trials that were painful and very nasty. I now have excrusating pain from my back ,numbness in both legs from one herniated disk and some bulging disks. Also joint and muscle aches from now I find out ,from my liver producing crybologoloblins that act like fibormayalgia. I'm miserable . So I have been to three pain management clinics trying lyrica,gabapenten,butran patches and a whole host of other meds which haven't touched the pain and costs a fortune because every time I go back it's a new drug that doesn't work. I asked to try a low dose narcotic and they said they wouldn't prescribe them due to FDA , state and fed guidelines . I went to my old orthopedic dr who told me the same thing.

Come on I will live my last days in pain. Because doctors are afraid of the regulations and patients are abusing meds . How can the abuses get them and I can,t . Thanks to everybody that falls into these groups. So much for the hipocratic oath it's now the Hippocritical oath

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello and I am so sorry for what you're going through. I agree with you that narcotics have a place in health care but the use of them has been tainted by abusers--leaving the people in need in unnecessary pain.

Can you take your case any higher? The FDA has not put a complete ban on these meds so I'm not sure what your doctors are talking about. Have you contacted a hospice program? I know you are probably not "there" yet but in my experiences with family members and hospice, they are usually extremely caring and very well informed people. They might be able to point you in the right direction. If not hospice, perhaps you can get in contact with a patient advocate or a social worker to help you deal with your doctors.

Are you in a state that has legalized marijuana for medical purposes? That's also a direction you might try--depending on where you live, of course.

Sorry you are going through so much stress in an already difficult time--I hope you can get relief from somewhere!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.