Skip to content
Holistic Remedies
Need_Holistic posted:
I am a 59 year old female who is hypothyroid and has been dealing with fibromyalgia since 1998.

For whatever reason, I have adverse effects to many pharmaceuticals, thus the reason I take the holistic approach.

Presently, I'm on a great multi-vitamin and other natural things for blood sugar (cinnamon bark capsules), cholesterol (Kal red yeast rice with guggul) and at night take Calcium/Magnesium, Inositol, Vervain and Passion Flower to sleep. Most pain killers cause problems for my stomach (hiatus hernia that is fully under control at this time - no GERD), thus I take White Willow Bark (which does not cause stomach problems for me).

I found a couple of years ago, when I was 20 pounds lighter and removed refined sugars from my diet, I was nearly without problems with fibro pain, even when the barometric pressure suddenly dropped as storms were coming in. HOWEVER, I was still dealing with depression and wanted to try something natural. That something is reported to stimulate the thyroid and my readings were .54 - thus I talked my doctor into reducing my prescription so that I could take the natural product (and it worked - 23 years of ongoing depression came to a halt, as long as I take the product daily). Problem is, it didn't affect the thyroid hormone production as reported, resulting in not enough hormone and I gained weight. Present TSH is above 5.00.

Let's just say my body is acting up in a huge way.

I'm interested in learning if others are using the holistic approach. What are you taking? What affect does it have for you? Have you tried other products? Why did you choose one over the other?

Also, for those who are around my age, what affects is aging having on you? I was doing pretty good with the fibro, then found out from my doctor that people my age really shouldn't be doing the repetitive and impact I was doing last spring in working in my yard. The reason for swelling in my ankles & legs. It took three months to get the swelling to completely go away, then I made it flare when shoveling snow. Thyroid levels off, stress creating symptoms of elevated cortisol... is affecting the inflammation

I'm also using holistic foods and herbs to reduce inflammation (can't take the pharmaceuticals, they immediately throw me into GERD, even when I take the product with food).

Oh, past the menopausal challenges. Had surgery over 10 years ago (including ovaries because of family history of cancer of female parts)

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...I am interesting in knowing if you have had your Vitamin D level checked? I know that Vitamin D is really important for a lot of people these days and most people who finally decide to speak ot the doctor about checking their level...they find that it is extremely low. My daughter does not have FM....but she had a car accident which caused major problems with tarsel tunnel and she had chronic pain from this. She ended up gaining a lot of weight and could not understand why. Her Vitamin D level was 2 when she finally had it checked. The doctor she went to told her she thought just by looking at her that her D level was low...she almost did not have enough to register it. Anyway....she put my daughter on the 50, 000 iu of D and she lost 50 lbs....with hardly any changes to what she was eating.

Over time I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. I take the following: Fibro Response and magnesium malate (I get the Source Natural products from vitamin store) I also take a multi vitamin with extra D- (source one 50 from walmart)...Omegas, Super B Complex plus others, as I also have other health issues. These are the ones which I take that helps my FM.

Now....I will also tell you that it took me a long time trying to figure out just what my body needed....after I tried the different medicines that my doctor wanted me to try. (he was treating me though for depression)...and none of the medicines were working and were causing other side effects as well.

The Omegas helps the inflammation. I take Salmon kind. I get these from Sams.

You should also learn to pace, pace and pace even more in whatever you have to do....it takes a while but you will soon learn just when you should stop before crossing the line, which is so very important.

Drinking plenty of water each day is important to me and watching what I eat. Doing gentle stretches and or exercises is also important....we, FMers, must learn to keep moving though regardless of how we feel....we do not need to allow our body to become stiff. I also use
Stopain as needed (you can get this Spray at walmart-it is good stuff) and I also use a heating pad as needed. Heat feels so good to the body.

I have also had parathyroid surgery and cervical (neck) surgery....plus major problems with carpal tunnel...(7 hand surgeries, but 2 was for where I fell outside and broke both wrists (separate times, thank goodness)....I ended up with plates and pins in both wrists.

I also take a joint supplement every day as I have had 4 right knee surgeries and also have a bad left knee as well.

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain also helps me to relax so that I can sleep better.

I hope you will find something that will help you cope better soon.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Need_Holistic replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi

Thank you for taking the time and energy to provide this information.

I don't think Vit D deficiency is involved in the weight gain. I believe that is due to changing my synthroid so that I could take L-Tyrosine. However, I've looked up Vit D deficiency and need to look into it for other reasons.

I've read Fibro Response has worked well for others. Although Malic Acid isn't supposed to set off GERD, it did in me. My body doesn't "follow the rules".

My magnesium isn't malate. I need to look into this closer. It could be the type of magnesium I'm taking needs to be changed.

I take omegas and B complex. I'm taking extra B12 as sublingual methylcobalamin.

To reduce the amount of cortisol released, I'm taking rhodiola.

A student, who comes from the American Virgin Islands, saw I was tired and I explained I'm struggling with insomnia. He called home and had them send some leaves from the graviola tree. He gave them to me tonight. Unfortunately, it should not be taken if taking CoQ10. He said it's excellent for insomnia. I see it's also good for reducing blood pressure and hypertension. Also reported better for fighting cancer than anything used in the U.S.

My tub is presently filling up with extra warm water and I'll be putting in a bath salts that has lavendar in it. I'll also be taking the herbs I use to relax muscles (such as the vervain).

I think I'll be adding White Willow Bark tonight. Been hurting more than usual today in the muscles above my elbows.

To relax muscles, I've found it helps to add 1-2 cups apple cider vinegar to the bath.

I'm guessing you are taking glucosamine & chondroitin

dollbug replied to Need_Holistic's response:
Hello....you are correct...I take Osteo Bi-Flex (pink label) which also contains 5-Loxin. This brand has 3 different kinds with different labels. I can not remember exactly how they are different but I do know that the pink label is what helps me more than the others. I have had 4 right knee surgeries which stemmed from a knee accident I had back in the early 80's. I think that the joint supplements and the injections that I have to get every so often help keep my knee pain level down to where I can manage it.

I know that when my knee starts to hurt when I am driving....this is a sign that I will soon have BIG issues with it and I need to get an appointment scheduled for the injections again. I do know that the PA who puts the injections into my knee could not believe that I am able to get over 2 years from them. But I do. I am not one of those people who tolerates a lot of pain. The PA told me that 6 months is the *average time* that most people get from the injections....so I do think the joint supplement helps me.

Vitamin D and weight loss....as with most everything else....there are different views on this, just depends where you read and who writes it. I know that my daughter thinks it had a lot to do with her weight. She was working out every day and watching her diet and she still could not lose the extra weight that she had gained. She has always been a good size....and never had a problem. Once she starting take the Vitamin D she lost over 50 lbs and she did not do anything different. My husband also thinks Vitamin D makes a difference as well. I do know that men and women are very different when it comes to losing weight.

Vinegar has all sorts of good things that it does. I use it when I wash clothes-in my rinse cycle. I also use vinegar to clean with - it is especially good if you do not care to use chemicals. It does not leave any sort of strong smell when you use it.

Take care and good luck. I hope you can find something that will help ease your pain.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.