Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fatigue and Focus
trciae posted:
New here. Situation is I am tired and dont sleep well but what bothers me most is focusing. I use to read books and do a lot and now I go to write, read etc. and I have trouble focusing and being sleepy tired.
Was wondering what I should try? I have a pretty decent diet, I am gluten free, low sugar, little to no sweetners or preservatives. No soft drinks and I juice frequently. Do the vitamins/essential oils and such but not much is making a difference now but it has over the last 6 yrs since I found out I had fibro.
Any suggestions? I did think about resulting to something like Concerta but not sure I want to go that route.

BetteK responded:
If you aren't sleeping well, you will be fatigued. So you need sleep. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Truth is, most of us wake up feeling as if we still need 8 hours of sleep.

Have you tried the nightly shower or bath of at least 20 minutes?

Did you get some exercise this morning or no later than mid-afternoon?

Do you meditate, do yoga, pray, or just do something that is soothing to you every day?

Do you listen to your kind of soothing music each day?

Are you pacing yourself and making use of the portions of your day when you have the most energy while resting at your bad times?

These are simple things. You've probably tried some of them already. If not, see if they help. They work best if you incorporate them all into your day--weather and fibro permitting.

Good luck,

BetteK

When all else fails, try Ambien or other meds at night or some kind of stimulant in the morning (although sleeping pills can carry over and make you drowsy the next day and stimulants in the morning can keep you awake that night). Drat!

missist replied to BetteK's response:
hiya... boy I don't know, I'm sleeping better than ever and I"m as tired or tireder. I think it is a symptom that sort of shows up or doesn't... and when it does stays til it feels like leaving. I don't really ever see that much relation to symptoms and diet--I did try gluten free and it made zip/zero/nada difference. I have a friend who said it did for her--but her fibro has always been on the lighter side.

Well wish I had awesome advice, I'm sorry, I'm just so tired myself right now--I think its the season change maybe?

will put you on my morning prayer list. hope it improves. for both of us. Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
Oh... also--- have a kindle and I get some books in audio-- so I can listen to them.. much easier. also easier to hold a kindle than a book--lighter. Still I dont read like I used to either.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
Hello-

Like the others said, improving your sleep could help. Easy, huh?!

You mentioned diet and I find I do way better with a higher protein diet, especially in the morning. I know juicing has obvious benefits, but personally, a glass of juice makes me very ill. This is because it spikes my blood sugar, then I crash.

I also find that animal protein is the only protein that helps me have more energy. I have found this through years of trying other protein sources and trying to be a vegetarian. I never felt worse!! I know this sounds very counter intuitive, and trust me, I would love to give up meat. But I've found I just cannot.

I have, for a couple years now, been better as far as fibro fog goes. I attribute it to eating a higher protein diet. I'd also usually suggest cutting out sugar, but you said you already eat low sugar. Morning is especially important and I've found that if I eat a protein filled breakfast, I do better for the rest of the day.

Of course, this is just me. I know everyone's body is different. I thought I'd throw this out there in case!

franr responded:
Hello Trciae
Sorry you have been so tired I know not sleeping can be quite unsettling and muscles ache more.Speak with your fibro MD;s there are sleep aides that can help. It took me 8 weeks to find the answer after being on the same med for 18 years and it stopped working.As Bette said try to pray ,mediateand talk to friends.Trying to focus goes along with lack of sleep,Concerta is not the answer it has a lot of side effects.Hopefully you have a good MD that will listen and help. Will kep you in thoughts..Fran

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.