Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr denied more meds
An_251647 posted:
I've had 2 back surgeries- the 2nd a spinal fusion w/ instrumentation for fully ruptured disc at L4/5-L5/S1. Now have 2 more herniated discs at L2-3 and L3-4, plus a neck herniation at C5-6 and a T-7 compression fracture. My primary prescribed for me 4 percocet per day off and on as needed for many yrs, until the new herniated discs- went to Dr who did epidural blocks- he prescribed 6 percocet per day bc of new pain to avoid surgery. Now I'm at a pain clinic- so many druggies there- they assume U R 2- Doctor prescribes percocet- back to previous dose B4 new disc herniations- still much pain- he approved 4 more pills per WEEK for work-days, I asked for 3 more since there are 7 days in a week- I need to clan house etc.He denied me the 3 pills for days off AND dropped the newly acquired 4 pills per WEEK! They think they are God bc they know you need it and they can manipulate you- he wants me to see his social worker- the whole depression = pain thing they believe in- I believe pain creates depression- and to deal with doctors who act like god- give it- take it away- he forces worthless "trigger point" injections- been through this B4- didn't work B4 either- it's Xylocaine/ Lidocaine- a temporary numbing agent! They bill like it's surgery. Crazy thing is the same pain management place- different doc over-drugged my 110 lb mother who also has degenerative disc disease- me at 190 lbs can't get more than 120 percs a month- th ey make me go every 2 weeks for 60 pills- Mother got 440 percs a month, plus MANY other type pain pills- like fiorocet- 2 types w/ and w/o aspirin and caffeine, Soma- on and on-It's unreal is what it is! I don't even like pot or anything like that at all! I'm not bothered by those that do, I just don't, but to B denied what is helpin U get along so well!

missist responded:
I am so sorry to hear all this. My mom used to get a lot of stuff too--I have deg. disc as well--though not as bad as all that. hope it won't get that bad. My mom had it pretty bad--as far as I can tell, she must have also had osteoporosis cuz she shrunk considerably-- about 5 inches in her last year of life. I really think between the RXs they gave her and multitude of conditions that is what caused her heart to stop.

I don't get that kind of stuff, so far celebrex, amitriptilene, celexa and gabapentin. I always feel like 'just one more' would do it , but I am very wary of taking another anything having seem it kill my mom.

I was very surprised to find that some of the anti depressant and nerve stuff really does help-- but the shots-- not so much. I agree.

I can 'feel' exactly where all my nerves that are pinched etc are---but it doesn't hurt so much as it used to.

God Bless and I will add you to my prayer list. Hope they have something better for you soon.
Mary

BetteK responded:
An,

I don't understand why you aren't on the fentanyl patches or oxycontin. These are meant for long-term, chronic pain states. Yes, you can abuse them, but so many of us get relief with a high-free, continuous dosage.

Too many docs don't seem to realize that the short-term meds MAKE you seek more drugs. It's almost a given if your pain release only lasts X number of hours that you will have hours with no coverage.

Then, there is the sudden rush of relief when your medication finally kicks in. Talk about a setup for addiction, for med-seeking behavior.

Yes, it is possible to abuse the long-term meds. It is possible to abuse any medication. But, by having continuous coverage, you are less apt to be desperately seeking more and more relief.

Maybe the witchhunters don't know this. They should. Have you written, e-mailed, or phoned your senator and representative? If you want the doctors freed to treat their patients, TELL YOUR LAWMAKERS!

BetteK

Anon_408 responded:
It's not necessarily the Dr. Its the FDA, haven't you heard the latest on oxycontin? Percoset? It is getting even harder to get scripts. Unfortunately, chronic pain is not treated very well with pain meds. Just saw an article in our paper today, oxy is the number 1 prescribed pain meds with abuse for overuse!

Even though you have many things going on, continuing on fhigh doses of percosets, comparing self with what other family, or friends receives is what's important to your Dr.

Oxcontin is similar to a herion, opiods and I hear from so many that say they aren't getting what they need for pain control. I believe some of the pain, well, myself, speaking for, its just something we or I have to deal with, I have several back issues, along with FM, and so I can relate to the feeling of frustration from hurting, But I wouldn't be surprised if the FDA drops more pain meds, as they did darvocets.

You do realize that drs. are being kept track of on how much and how often theyt give pains meds out to patients. They can't always give us what "we" want.

Don't necessarily think they are denying what helps you get along so well, but trying to keep your pain under control, liveable, without prescribing to much. Eventually, it takes more and more to do the same level of control.

An_249441 responded:
You might also find answers on the Pain Management board here on WebMD, they deal with opiate medications more frequently than fibromyalgia people do.

Here is the link, and it is also listed further down the page in the Related Pain Management Communities Box. Http://exchanges.webmd.com/pain-management-exchange

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.