Skip to content
Be Careful With Ambien
BetteK posted:
Whoa there! I just read some of the posts I made earlier in the week. Even I cannot read them.

I had been more fatigued than normal and having major trouble getting to sleep, so I took Ambien Tuesday and Wednesday nights. It takes a while to kick in, and I came here in the meantime. What a revelation! It's like I was operating on -1 brain cell.

My longsuffering hubby told me about some of the things I did but had no memory of when the timed-release Ambien came out. (Mostly, I just made smoothies and left the mess in the kitchen overnight--it was summer and we had all this great fruit.) I thought that by sticking to the regular version, it would be all right. Major mistake.

Ambien is an amnesiac. You know how if you wake up in the middle of the night you know pretty much what time it is and how long you've slept? With Ambien, you have no idea of how long it's been, and you do not remember the things that happened before you fell asleep.

So. . . . Be forewarned. There is a period of non compos mentos (not mentally competent) before the meds knock you out. You live and you learn.

BetteK

Take the Poll

Have you ever done anything silly while on a medication?
  • No, never.
  • I don't know.
  • Yes, but I'm not telling what it was.
vote
View Poll Results

xperky responded:
Wow, BetteK, I've heard of people having side effects like yours. Scary stuff.

I take half a 5mg Ambien and don't have trouble like that. I only allow myself to take it when I get in bed to read. When I tried the whole 5mg I was too drowsy the next day.

Hopefully I'm not sleep driving or anything like that!

Everyone should be careful on any new med.
With Compassion,
Margaret

fibroinsd responded:
That is scary...I haven't taken it..heard about these kinds of things...glad you are ok..cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

NeNe_11 replied to fibroinsd's response:
I have taken 10mgs of Ambien nightly with several other drugs with sedative effects for over 5 years & have never had a problem. I do understand the period of forgetfulness though. That is why it is important to only take it whenever you are ready to get into bed for the night!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.