Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CHEST PAIN
andysgrace posted:
I was diagnoses with Fm years ago. I can't seem to find a decent doctor
so I'm battling it by myself. I'm having chest pain and I've been to the ER a few times with it. I'm so scared I'm having a heart attack. The chest pain starts sorta in the corner of my armpit, If you put your hand right where your left armpit and breast join, that pocket like. Thats where it starts and runs down under my actual breast.I have tingling sensation thru my back and shoulder blade. I'm so tender to the touch also. The whole area up on my shoulder, above my breast, even down my arm are all so tender to the touch. This comes and goes.I'm so scared it's my heart. it's been going on for a few months now. Sometimes I'll go days without it hurting and then it always comes back. It sends me in a panic which makes me have a full panic attack which raises my blood pressure to dangeriously high. I don't have medical insurance and I live in a one red light town with one local doctor. If I could only find a doctor who had a decent bedside manner. I'm overweight so that is always a issue too. I just wish I could know... once a for all if this pain in my chest... is my heart or just fm symptoms. If I knew it was fm flare up symptoms..then I could relax when it comes on and my blood pressure won't go up and I wouldn't be having panic attacks or adding on to my ER bills. My whole left shoulder blade tingles and hurts, and the pain is above my breast like I said before at that pocket right where it connects. please can anyone please tell me if they have this same pain . I'm so desperate. I cry everyday hoping and praying I can find a doctor and get this seen able. I'm in fear every single day of having a heart attack. I can't even enjoy a day because I'm so fear ful of dying any minute with a heart attack. I'm 35 and I have recently quit smoking 3 months ago. Please if anyone can help me or tell me if they have this pain. Thanks so very much. I dont know how much longer I can go on like this. I'm just causing myself more stress cause I'm actually fearful for my life every day.

missist responded:
Hi! I guess at the ER they did an ekg and it was all fine?

I went to ER with very close to same problem---it apparently was a pinched nerve in my neck.

Of course when you have chest pain you do have to find out if its heart-- but you know... try taking aleeve too--its over the counter. Get a generic one. 2 in the morning and 2 at night for a little while--then 2 a day if you feel better.

Not a dr... so you know.. all the 'disclaimers' sure don't take my advice as medical advice--just one old lady telling another what helped her.

I'll add you right now to my prayer list. Peace Friend!!

mary
pokeberrypatch.etsy.com

missist replied to missist's response:
oh!! forgot-- Congrats on Quitting smoking!!! what a great accomplishment!

You are young for a heart attack, even overweight. I'm quite plump myself thanks to fibro. It does make life harder for staying fit.

Don't be hard on yourself over this! Chest pain truly is a fibro symptom---so long as you get your heart checked out --even ER can at least tell you if you're having a heart attack. I have had mine checked several times. LOL.. what are you gonna do? it happens.

Peace again!!
Mary

squarley responded:
I HAVE SIMILAR PAINS I WENT TO ER THEY DID EKG AND OTHER HEART TEST TO MAKE SURE IT WAS NOT MY HEART AND TIOLD ME I HAD COSTROCODITIS, I MAY NOT HAVE SPELLED THAT RIGHT BUT IT HAS TO DO WITH CHEST MUSCLES AND IT COMES AND GOES AND PEOPLE WITH FM HAVE IT, DID THEY CHECK OUT YOUR HEART ,THEY SHOULD OF AND IT THEY SAID IT ALL RIGHT THEN THAT'S PROBLEY WHAT YOU HAVE IS SORE CHEST MUSCLES ,IT HURTS UNDR MY BREAST AND ALL ROUND, IT IS VERY PAIN FULL, I WISH YOU COULD FIND A BETTER DOCTOR MAY BE IN A NEAR BY TOWN, SO YOU WOULD NOT WORRY SO, I TO GOT PANIC ATTACKS FROM THE FEAR OF HAVING A HEART ATTACK, HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE ,HUGS SHIRLEY

missist replied to squarley's response:
Also wanted to add a bit here.. anywhere that there are muscles you can get pain. I am finally realizing a pain I've had in my side that acts up now and then is caused by a nerve that irritates the muscle there. never knew that--I had ulrtrasound, cat scan and colonoscopy to find out what it was.. lol.. spendy.

Turns out now that I"m on gabapentin I can actually feel that it is a nerve there--which is a relief. I mean I know now that my body is always lying to me, so no wonder I've been so concerned about things! Its a very good liar.

Peace,
Mary

BetteK responded:
Hi,

The first time I had chest pains, I called 911, rode the ambulance to the ER, and spent 12 hours in ICU/Coronary Care.

Chest pains are scary. We think it's the heart. We think we're dying. We try not to think of the crushing pain while it is there, because that makes it hurt more. What you have to do is to start becoming aware of this pain. Recognize where it begins, exactly where it goes, what it feels like. This way, you will recognize YOUR particular type of "harmless" chest pain. You will know when to take a deep breath and start some muscle relaxants, some of your "rescue" pain meds, and your relaxation exercises. And you will know if the pain is different some day and could be serious. Knowing the difference will save you needless worry, reassure you when appropriate, and can save your life if the unthinkable does happen some day.

I have learned to recognize these pains. My pains were classic chest, jaw, and arm with sweating and clamminess. But they were on the RIGHT side. They still are. They last about 15 minutes and seem to come in clusters of 4 or 5 a week for a couple of weeks and then go away for a while.

This has been going on since 1986. And yes, it is the inter-costal muscles--the ones that are between the ribs. As we all find out, any muscle or muscle group on our bodies can decide, "Oh, yes, we have fibromyalgia. It's time to signal some pain."

Actually, no one knows whether the pain signals originate in the muscles, or the nerves that are in and near them, or the spinal cord. But they're learning more every day. As proof of this, we have 3 meds that are designed for fibro: Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Savella. Considering that it can take 5 to 10 years to find, develop, approve, and market a drug, It is obvious that the big drug companies know we're here AND know that we are a big market for their products.

Some of these meds help some of us. Some of us get very little relief from any of them. Some of us find we cannot tolerate any of these drugs. (Multiple Chemical Senstitivities is one of the syndromes that befall some of us. It precludes all but the smallest token of "treatment.")

Just as you realized smoking was self-destructive, you will work out for yourself how to manage these and other symptoms. Some days will be bad. Most days will be a little better. And some days will be glorious, marvelous, joyous, and life-affirming. To find the best days, you will have to become more self-aware. You will respect your doctors, but realize that you are responsible for your own health.

Towards many glorious days,

BetteK

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...sorry that you are dealing with so much right now....I do want to tell you that *stress* is not good for us FMers....so try not to stress if you can....trust me, it does nothing at all to help you. Eventually you will figure out what is going on with you.....
the first time I had one of these *spells*.....I was in church singing and all of a sudden I had a bad pain around my chest area. Well....my younger son is a Fire Fighter and he ended up taking me out of church and going by the fire department where they ran the test on me.....my blood pressure was really high and the man told me that I needed to go to the ER.....he said they would take me.....but I refused to go right then and waited for my DH to get home. I did go as soon as he got here and I had to stay overnight. There were a lot of tests run on me but the doctor finally told me that he thought it was from the FM....I have since had several spells....but I know what it going on. The doctors told me to take Aleve....(it did not help and my daughter told me that I should try the Advil (gel)....and it works for me....the doctor also said that I needed to put hot moist heat on the area and rest....as this is what is needed to settle it down. Each time I have had it I start taking the Advil and try to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

I think it is really important to try to figure out IF indeed it is your heart though. I know that it hurt me to even take a deep breath. I hate pain and what the wrath of the dragon puts all of us FMers through. There is really not a lot we can do about this though but what the doctors tell us to do.

I do want to tell you that I have had it several times on both sides and in the front as well as the back too. So mine has not always been in the same place.....but it was the same type of pain.

Eventually you will figure out all sorts of things about dealing with this ugly and mean illness.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level.....which is really important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause some of us additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

missist replied to dollbug's response:
What was said by Bette about recognizing your pain.. I've had fibro for nearly 30 years--and I only this year began to realize what was hurting wasn't my actual joints. I first began to realize it was muscles hurthing and recently realized it was my nerves making the muscles hurt-- I didn't know that until I started to take gabapentin and celebrex together--then I could actually feel the little nerve zaps--once the cloud of 'noise' was gone-- by that I mean the pain all over that had been in my muscles-- it cleared up just recently-- so long as I don't miss a dose of my RXs all I really feel is a bit of arthritis and little pinches/zaps/ sort of ant bite feelings where the various nerves hit--and it is all over my body! I am thinking no wonder I was always in so much pain!

Several of the things I feel are in my chest area--so not surprised I had more than one trip to ER or dr to check my heart.

It is difficult to really differentiate all the pain fibro causes-- I'm feeling so much more human now that I realize what all was going on all these years.

Its a very good thing. I hope you will also soon be able to pinpoint what the actual pain is that you feel too. Makes it a lot easier to take and less scary.

Mary

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.