Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia help pl
iggysbabe posted:
Hi All i was just diganosed with Fibromyalgia in Dec 2012 so i am just trying to find what helps with the pain any suggestions will be very helpful
My Question is Does anyone know of any vitamins or herbs that help with fibromyalgia pain
Also Does anyone know of any fibromyalia support groups
I live in Calgary,AB Canada
thanks all

dollbug responded:
Hello iggysbabe and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are facing the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....I think we all know and understand exactly how you feel though. I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. We are all different and what helps one person may or may not help another....so you have to just do your own trial and error process and figure out what helps you. You should remember though that it takes at least 6-8 weeks of getting the *full potential of what something might do*.

It took me a very long to figure out just what I needed. I take the following: Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (found in vitamin stores-I take source naturals brand and I only take 1 each every day) Omegas, (I take the salmon oil), multi vitamin with extra D for 50 ...(I get the source one brand from walmart), I also take Super B Complex plus others as I do have other health issues. These are the ones which help my FM pain the most.

I also use a heating pad every day for my lower back....as I have had *issues* with it for several months now. Love my heating pad. I also use Stopain Spray after I take a hot shower...(good stuff from walmart for just $ When I am hurting and really tired I take a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain....this helps my body to relax so that I can sleep better.

Drinking plenty of water each day and watching what I eat helps and also keeping myself on a schedule of sorts....doing gentle exercises and/or stretches is also important....(GENTLE being the important word here).

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. This is a simple blood test....BUT you MUST ASK the doctor to run it as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do.

You can find a lot of good info here...you can also check out Dr. P's discussions (click on the 674 discussions at the right hand top corner of this page). You can also check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox*.

I am sure you will learn a lot from this FM support group. So hang in here with us....I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi.. I like using this online type of support group--but I don't live near an in person one.

I haven't really had luck with natural things like Mimi has-- my pill box contains celebrex--which is kind of spendy. before I used a generic aleeve type pill 2 twice daily-- my dr thought celebrex would be safer with my age and other factors.

I found that a low dose of amitryptilene takes a bit of an edge off pain and helps me sleep, I also use another anti depressant celexa --which I'm not sure I'll continue--new for me, seems to be making my fatigue worse--although I think its beginning to be better. I also take gabapentin--which is a generic epilepsy med called neurontin--it helps a lot of fibro people because it works on making nerves less excited--which in turn means less pain.

Also take a good vegetarian, food based multi vitamin for women. Haven't been using other supplements lately- but I think I'll be picking up vitamin D3 again soon. it seems to really be helpful in spring and fall for me--which are the most painful times for some reason--perhaps the moisture.

Pacing, gentle stretches, are a good way to cope--and be sure to get enough rest at night--so if you are up late, sleep late.

Welcome! Sorry you've joined the club--its not a great thing to get, but you can still have a pretty good life, just need to adjust to it.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.