Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hope your day was as good as mine
BetteK posted:
Hi to all of you!

Talk about stress. I gave myself so much imagining the worst for a simple 200 mile round trip to the big, bad city. I tensed up, slept very little in the past week (unless I took Ambien), and did all the things we all know we shouldn't. And for what?

My "dreaded" trip to Buffalo wound up being enjoyable after all. It was a beautiful day, There was no traffic for this country girl to fight. My back (with a little help from my friend, Oxycontin--which I only use now to prevent flares or treat bad ones) behaved itself. So did the neck.

And, of course, the best news is that there are no new skin cancers! Luckily, mine have all been the least dangerous type--basal cell carcinoma. And this year there were none to be lopped off. What a relief!

Just a reminder, when you have your annual checkup, make sure your doctor checks your skin--all of it. Skin cancer is one of those things we tend to think happens to other people. Do you have skin? Then get it checked every year. This is especially true for fair skinned people and for anyone who has EVER had a sunburn.

Save your skin--literally!

BetteK

missist responded:
so glad your day was nice Bette! and Congrats on no new skin cancer. Yay!

Mary

xperky responded:
You are right about checking our skin on a regular basis. Anything suspicious should be shown to your gp, even if you don't have a history of problems.

I'm glad your report was good this year, BetteK. As you already know, you need to keep ahead of things, as new things can arise.

I had a good report just last week. I have had melanoma removed in 2006, so a dermatologist checks all of me, twice a year. I had a couple suspicious moles removed from my butt and back thigh two weeks ago, and they were completely normal!

It's a pain, but everyone needs to protect their skin from too much sun exposure. Our VitD gets low, but we can supplement that.
With Compassion,
Margaret

BetteK replied to xperky's response:
Margaret,

What an interesting place for the melanoma!

I have this sketch in my mind. You're single, young, and dating. Just how do you explain those little scars on your backside?

Wouldn't that be a pretty pickle!

Three cheers for those of us who get checked out!

NO CANCER

NO CANCER

NO CANCER

And maybe we can awaken some of the others here. Once upon a time, when the ozone layer was intact, there was such a thing as a "healthy tan." That's gone. We have to realize that those wonderful, soothing rays are potentially deadly. WE know. It's up to us to tell our friends--here and in the rest of our world.

BetteK

Anon_2912 responded:
I have a co-worker who has to get his burned off every 6 months. His are ALL OVER his body...poor guy...

But he is so positive about the whole thing.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.