Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
vhahn84 posted:
hi all in an effort to help myself better understand what the heck is going on with my body im reaching out to all you wonderful people ive been diagnosed with fibro for about 7 months now but im still at that point daily where i want to literally crawl.out out of my body! im a young mom to an 11,8,&3 yr old and really feel like im being an awful mom cuz i cant get past my pain most days to do the fun things i used to be able to do with them tips and pointer would be great help at this point as a feel like im loosing my mind trying to keep.it all together

BetteK responded:
Stop right there. You're beating yourself up for something you did not wish upon yourself and cannot help.

Focus on the things that you can control. Don't worry about the house. You are not the only one dirtying it. Let some of the others do the cleaning. On those days when you fix a big meal (as opposed to carry out pizza) always make enough for another meal to nuke on a bad day.

Spend your energy on the fun things you can still do with your family. You don'thave to lift your 3 year old. Sit down and make a lap. That's YOUR way to cuddle.

Other parents may have the energy to DO more. You will just have to LOVE more. No matter how bad you feel, try to keep the love in your voice when you talk with your kids. You want them to know that no matter what you love them--even on bad days.

After the kids are done with their baths each night, be sure to give yourself a 20 minute bath or shower. The warm water works wonders for pain, stress, and sleep. Take another shower/ bath in the morning to loosen up.

My fibro began with the backache of late pregnancy 41 years ago. Two boys in cloth diapers. One year of "colic." You know the rest. It can be done. You can raise good adults who are loving, caring people. What more can a parent do for her children?

BetteK

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
I'm also a mom of three...16, 13 & 10. When I was first diagnosed 5 yrs ago, I felt like a horrible mom that couldn't do a thing. You will find new ways to adapt, new *tools or devices (ie. large grip kitchen utensils etc) and alike. My youngest used to be the "doctor"...helping by giving me the plugged in heating pad, or an ice pack from the freezer...The kids help by bringing up the laundry to fold, unloading the dishwasher(saves the back!) stuff like that. There's still lots you can do to participate in activities, whether watching & cheering them on, or playing slowly, sitting on the swings, having movie nights...

Lots of good people with good ideas here. This message board has been a world of help to me!
Julie

fibroinsd responded:
Ah...I see somehow you got two posts for this...that can happen sometimes...so do check for both..cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.