Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I think my husband has fibro
hamster3108 posted:
My husband has been complaining of being tired for probably over a year. I've suggested he have sleep studies done. He has never mentioned anything else til recently when he said he needed to see the doctor; he thinks he has Rocky Mountain fever or Lyme disease. The Lyme test came back negative. There are two parts to the RM test. One part was negative; the other part was "in the middle," neither confirming nor ruling out. The doctor thinks negative. I mentioned fibro and of course got the "that's a women's disease" reaction. Today, I noticed one of the symptoms is tingling, numbness in hands and feet. He saw the doctor within the past year for his feet.

My husband is a Type A personality. He has been called "The Energizer Bunny" because he keeps going. To hear him say, "I'm tired" breaks my heart, especially when he says it just a few hours after waking. The information says chronic stress can cause fibro. He is a pastor, the stereotypical "be there for everyone; solve all the problems" times 10.

I truly think the chronic stress has taken its toll. How can I get him to understand he needs to look further into fibromyalgia?

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Hampster3108,

Men do have fibromyalgia. We have men post on this board. Your husband does have symptoms of FM. Have him go to a Rheumotogolist (spelling ?). I think a neurogolist may be able to help also. Is there a way he can get an assistant to help take some of the stress away from him? I know our pastor uses the helps of the deacons. I will pray for your husband. Be sure to check out all the tips listed on the website. They will help with the pain. I find a heating pad under the lower back helps with the foot pain and restless leg syndrome. I also use Stopain Rollon that I got from Walmart. All these hints I got from this website. Only thing that helps with the tireness is to learn to pace and rest up and after a big event.
I hope this will help some and please let us know how your husband is doing.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

fmawg responded:
As a dude with fibro, I think I can shed some light.

At first, you just want to think it's a cold or flu, or that it's some simple thing that will clear up soon. You look for some shot or pill that will make it go away in a week. Hearing that it might be something long-term is a pain in the ass, and not something I wanted to hear.

Eventually though, the pain and fatigue got to the point where I had to admit to myself that something serious was going on. I was happy to have ANY answers, so I finally asked about fibro after my wife had urged me to do so for weeks. (Sound familiar?) My doctor checked a few symptoms and sure enough, that's what it was.

Armed with answers, you can make better choices and get help. Knowing is half the battle, as GI Joe says.

Maybe he has fibro, maybe he doesn't, but one way or the other, I think the approach to take is to get him to see that:

1: Men can get fibro. I did, and others have too.

2: An answer, yes or no, is better than no answer. Position it as just one more thing to rule out, and see if that gets any traction.

If he's afraid of getting a "woman's disease", he's free to tug on my beard and make sure it's real. If a doctor gave you the "that's a women's disease" response, it's time to find a doctor who doesn't have their head up their ass (if you'll pardon my French).

Hopefully this helps, feel free to ask any other questions about being a guy with the wonderful "opportunity for personal growth" that is fibromyalgia. Again, maybe he has it, maybe he doesn't, but ruling it out or confirming it helps you get on with your life.

-A

missist responded:
Hi.. dunno your hubby's age-- but if he is middle age-ish.. low testosterone can be a problem too that would cause a lot of fatigue, aches and pains, etc.

It is unusual for a guy to have fibro--doesn't mean they can't just its not the 'first' thing a dr would think of.

fibroinsd responded:
yes...wouldn't be the first male to have fibro..nor the first pastor ! I have a friend that I met on here, that is a pastor with fibro...so it definitely could be..

He needs to call around for a rhumatologist or a neurologist that treats fibro..then have them give him the tender points test...

And do have them check his level of Vit. D. and Vit B..

Many of us use vitamins to treat our fibro..some would include a good multi vitamin, a B-100 COMPLETE, D..magnesium and omegas.

Under the tips section is a post called members toolbox, started by Nancy B...and it has suggestions of things that have worked for us.

There are medications that can also be of help..I used Cymbalta for awhile and it was great..but not so for others..so it is a try and see if it works for you type of thing..

Keep in touch and let us know how it is going.
cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.