Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back after an absence
foreversore posted:
Hi, all! I have been away for a while. I had a lot going on and I had to get it all together again. I think we may finally be on the road to getting my fibro under control. We aren't quite there yet but I am noticing a slight improvement. My new regimen is Vit D, Calcium, Vit B12, Soma to relax muscles, Klonopin for RLS, Meloxicam for the arthritis in my hips/knees/ankles, HCTZ for edema and Lyrica for fibro (just started this but it is working better than the Savella did), and Ambien for sleep. I also use hot showers and a heated mattress pad and a liniment when necessary. I am stil having issues with back pain and degenerative disc disorder and I fall a lot due to pressure on nerves. I need to go back to the ortho for pain relief for that but I will be seeing him soon. I also had surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome on my right arm in mid April. I had a hard cast on and was supposed to wear it for 2 weeks, well after 4 days they had to cut it off because the cotton batting under it was irritating my skin. Well a few days after they cut the cast off I was at my brothers wedding and I fell on the concrete and landed on my bad arm. Now, where my arm made contact with the ground the skin from my wrist to elbow is completely numb and the muscle underneath and possibly the nerve too feels like a bad tooth ache. Kind of like a bad tooth where the nerve is exposed....and it affects my whole fore arm. Unfortunately the surgeon says that it might stay that way permanently. My arm isn't even fully healed from the surgery yet I still have a few weeks to go but he says if those symptoms don't go away they may have to go back in there and see of there is anything they can do to fix it which will put my right arm out of commission for another 6-12 weeks

I hope you all are doing well and I will try to be better at checking in and responding to posts and helping where I can!

dollbug responded:
Hello.....MiMi in NC...sorry that you have been dealing with so much. I do not know exactly what cubital tunnel surgery is....but I am sure that things will get better with time. I have had carpal tunnel surgeries and elbow surgery as well...it took my right elbow about 2 and 1/2 years or so for it to completely heal. I also had the numbness for a long time but eventually it went away. So I hope you will also have good luck as you heal as well.

I think any kind of surgery that we, FMers, have takes so much longer than the normal person to heal. Perhaps it is because of our nerves and the fibro that we deal with. I do know that all of mine took a long time for me to completely heal and feel *somewhat normal* again.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

dollbug responded:
OK....so I have done some research on the cubital tunnel surgery....so did you have problems with the ulna nerve? I know that when the neurosurgeon did my surgery he said my elbow was very red, inflamed and swollen and was one of the worse cases he had seen before....but he could NOT tell me what had happened to it or why, which I found really very strange. I was so afraid that my right elbow was going to get the same way as I did have problems off and on with it.

I hope things get better for you soon.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

foreversore replied to dollbug's response:
Yep I was having a really hard time with it. My arm would swell and it was so sore. The surgery i had was the one where they lift up the flap of muscle, move the nerve to under the muscle and then reattatch the muscle to the bone. I am hoping over time it does go away and having the surgery did cause me to go into a flare which took several weeks to settle back down. The surgeon told me that because that ulnar nerve is so close to the skin surface that it gets really irritated in some people especially those who do repetitive movements. He also said I had tennis elbow and the other pains in my arm he blamed on fibro. He is going to give it a few more weeks to see if the fall did any major damage to my arm. I really hope I don't have to do the surgery again especially since I have been feeling halfway good for the last few days (for the first time in years!).

booch007 responded:
Oh man this sounds so sad . The ulnar nerve is an issue that I have had forever. I refused the surgery. Now I must ask you...they moved you ulnar nerve more medially?

There is a groove on the elbow bone the ulnar nerve is supposed to be in, it should be a deep groove and that protects the nerve. I have a shallow groove and it exposes this guy to irritation. (though alot of my issue is entrapement at the armpit level).

IF they moved the ulnar nerve I am going to tell you to get a medic ALERT bracelet that states that. We spoke of this often in the ICU. We do blood gasses for the ventilator in the artery in the antecubital space. This is now where they probably have moved you nerve into. Depending on where it is laying the resp therapist can hit that nerve when drawing and looking for a blood gas (an Oxygen test).

THIS IS IMPORTANT...you will be lying on a ventilator in your future and unable to speak and someone will come and keep poking around that nerve creating pain......real deep pain. The scar will be minimal and probably missed in an emergency too.

So A medic alert bracelet will inform them to use another area to choose from........the wrist particularly.

(I WOULD PUT *NO BLOOD GASSES IN THE ANTECUBITAL AREA: ULNAR NERVE TRANSPOSITION**)

I saw a red flag here right away. This was why I said no to the surgery. My nerve is not in the grove at times and the hand is numb I have to straighten my arm....shake it around, when I wake in the morning stiff, numb, burning...annoying. R> L is my issue. But I am leaving it alone.

Good luck, I have learned too that a nerve heals itself 1 inch a month. Depending on the fiber type hurt. I have a nerve in my calf that was cut by a vascualar surgeon in error and it has never healed. I have neuropathy there.....

Life always has it's challenges. All I look for is EYES WIDE OPEN. Balance your playing field. So please add this to your M.Alert or it is time to get one. Pharmacies have the papers or you can google it. (not expensive unless you want to go there)....P R I C E L E S S..if you need it!

Hugs, Nancy B

An_252013 responded:
I have been falling allot lately;last 6 months actually. I just got over a bad fall and yesterday I got my foot caught in a rug in front of the refrigerator. I grabbed the door handle and did not fall, but it twisted me like pretzel. I went to the couch and put my feet My right side took all the abuse. Today I have a sore throat and temp., along with headache and the bottom of my R foot hurts when I try to walk.
The actual reason I joined was because my R arm bicep starts hurting sometimes in the morning, but mostly at night. And, sometimes it hurts for days. It feels just like someone giving me an injection with a 20g needle by just jamming it in there. I have had Fibro. for almost 29 years. This started around 2006. Any comments appreciated? Thank you so much.

foreversore replied to booch007's response:
Thank you so much for that info Nancy! I will definitely do that since we all know that we FMers don't need additional pain.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.