Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Who wears Makeup & How Often?
missist posted:
I'm just curious. I almost never wear makeup.
Its like I just want to be comfortable--and I don't know how crazy this is--but I wash my face many times a day with a cool or hot wash rag--no soap.
Just feel like I need to. Make up is in my bottom most drawer for funerals and weddings pretty much or job interviews--back when I went those.

Yourself?

dollbug responded:
Hello....no make up for me either....and no jewelry either. I can not stand any kind of foreign object on me. A necklace feels like I am choking and any thing else irritates my skin. I use to wear make up every day and jewelry as well. I wash my face only with water also and otherwise I use white dial soap. My skin has always been quite sensitive.

I guess this is a part of dealing with the wrath of the dragon. I have been this way since 2005 when I first got sick.

I do wear White Diamonds every day but I can no longer smell it. Weird. I can smell in the bottle but when I put it on, I have no smell of it.

Interesting post....although I have really never thought much about it.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

xperky responded:
Me either! Last time I wore makeup was for Christmas with the inlaws. I used to wear it daily and wouldn't go to the grocery store without. My complexion is better now too.

I do use Dove or Cetaphil cleanser twice a day, and exfoliate regularly. During the day and before bed I also like to put a steamy washcloth on my face to wipe away excess oils and freshen up, especially during the summer.

DH is taking me out for our anniversary this week. I'll wear some tinted powder and try to fix my hair nice. I haven't a clue what shoes I can wear any more as my feet can't stand anything but running shoes. This might take some thought!

Everybody, save your 'spoons' for what matters most to you!
With Compassion,
Margaret

missist replied to xperky's response:
so even wearing makeup could cause problems. so odd. I also notice that I truly hate the seat belt in my car and the strap on my purse--its like they will not cooperate and feel wrong. seem to always fall in wrong spots. crazy. perhaps we are all simply the same sort of nuts.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
I do wear makeup. It's something that helps me feel better, emotionally. But I don't wear heavy stuff and I am definitely not someone who reapplies during the day. I have dark circles under my eyes and my lids also get quite dark during the day, so some makeup helps me not look ill. Even when I don't wear eyeliner, I get a lot of comments about how tired I look!

Stuff like straps and jewelry do bother me though. I rarely wear necklaces but I usually wear earrings. Just another little thing that makes me feel a little better about myself.

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi Missist,

I just turned 68 years old and have never worn make-up. When I was young I was quite the feminist (still am in most ways) and decided that, if men didn't have to wear make-up to have women like them, then women should not have to either. Also, I never liked the idea of putting make-up on my skin. No hair dye, either...natural is what I try to be

I, too, wash my face several times a day, but I use soap. Right now, my bar has shea butter in it. Often, I use Dove or Caress. My skin is very oily but I never had trouble with acne.

WebMD has an article about bras that says, if you wear them at a young age, you will sag more when you get older. Thank goodness for bra-burning parties in the 60's and 70's (yes, we really did do that). I did start wearing them as I gained weight. When you're 105 pounds, you really don't need a bra.

I also feel like I have saved my feet from becoming deformed by avoiding the torture of high-heeled shoes with pointy toes. Guess I'll never win any fashion awards.

Hugs to all!

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

booch007 responded:
sad to say EVERYDAY except Saturday....(laundry day!))

I work and need to look my best. At times when off I had to go for trigger point injections and felt so lousy I didn't and everyone said..."Are you OK? your eyes look bad, what's wrong?" Seems without eyeliner I lose my eyes! HA!

I don't like seeing me without either, being dressed for company is good for my spirit...I rarely have lipstick on though. That is weddings for sure.....or a day I look to impress someone.

So maybe at home in the future i will cut that all out....don't know yet.
Nancy B

Gracefilled replied to booch007's response:
I wear light makeup most days. I work 4 days a week and try to go to church once in awhile. On days off I use it depending on how I am feeling and whether or not I am going out. My routine has become very simple - concealer, blush, eye liner (sometimes) and mascaria. I am 60 and so my eyes disappear without mascaria. When struggling with a flare-up I do very little, just try to get through the day. I do agree though that if I am able to fix myself up a bit, I feel better emotionally:) Every little bit helps.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I rarely ware make-up. I get too tired putting it on. On special occasions I will wear it, but not everyday. Everyone has luckily got use to me not wearing it. I do not wear much jewerly either. It seems to wear heavy on me. Plus it makes my ears and neck itch. I never connected it could be just another curse of the dragon.
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.